My putter project!

I agree, except with the level of incompetence, they can only be expected to ruin it some more.

This is true..... yikes

Man, sorry this happened. I feel your pain. I'm sure you can clean it up. Aircraft stripper is available at most auto parts stores...hopefully in Uganda there are some.

I hate that this happened. Really sucks!

#Team441 for the win in Legacy.

Man I'm hurting just looking at the pictures! That's awful. Once you get it finished, go bash it over their heads.

Just caught up...wow I'm so sorry to see what the powder coater did

Dude that thing is huge and looks sweet well until the power coater got a hold of it.

I am so sorry that happened to your work of art. Dude should have realized this was a project of passion and treated it accordingly.

This was a fun thread until I saw what the powdercoater did. Castration would be too good for him. But if you use a very dull knife it might make you feel better.
I sure hope you're able to find something to remove the coating.

Sent from my G3 using TapaTalk Pro

All I can find is this stuff called Q12 rust remover. Any good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn't look good for the paint stripping. You might need to ask around body shops see what they use. Or find a good soda blaster if you're lucky. I'd send you a bottle of the remover myself if it was possible.

Great news! We have a sand blaster which is used for glass but we put the putter in and it works great!
dd0ae20c3f3f11d39df136dee11dc371.jpg

So yeah hopefully no mistakes this time!

Wow just caught up in this thread. And damn I'm sorry to hear and see that. But glad you found a way to fix that guys incompetence. Can't wait to see the finished product.

I was so glad that the sand blasting could remove the powdercoating, I left the head with the guy and he brought it when it was done.
00a08c8c4c4381460ae06145a2182b32.jpg

But on closer inspection there were all these odd marks;
5eaf42c3452de15f2beecf9e3008c7ad.jpg

I just couldn't understand it, how could this happen by sandblasting?! I called the head machinist over and he knew immediately. The sandblaster had decided to speed the process by chipping some of it off with a screwdriver.
It's just a comedy of errors.
Anyway I machined the face again to ensure it's flat and decided it's not worth machining the other surfaces. This time I put a bolt into the threaded hosel hole and bound a wire around it so it doesn't fall in the oven again.
Fingers crossed it looks decent when it comes out.

Yikes man, some shady work practices going on there. Hopefully they're not as noticeable after powder coat.

Now that it has been all beat to hell with a screw driver, any thought given to tumbling it or something to give it a uniform finish? just a thought.

Sorry to see the damage they did to your project.
You may want to consider anodizing rather than powder coating for the next attempt.
Wish you the best of luck.

T.I.A my friend, sorry they screwed it up so badly. .

You may want to consider anodizing rather than powder coating for the next attempt.
This is an awesome idea. Anodizing creates a really cool finish too.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I'm not sure anyone here does anodizing but it's worth looking in to. Alternatively I think I'll try again and do the powder coating myself. That's the problem with being here in the middle of Africa, these sort of services just aren't available.

T.I.A my friend, sorry they screwed it up so badly. .
TIA indeed!haha I should've known better really than to expect a decent level of work. Anyway lessons learned.

Now that it has been all beat to hell with a screw driver, any thought given to tumbling it or something to give it a uniform finish? just a thought.

I'm not even sure anyone here has that service available.

Anyway I got it back and it's better than the first time;
a4f44aaa4468aa9500b494bc4ac74c0f.jpg

It's not perfect by any stretch but it's ok. It'll do the job and at least now I know to just do it myself next time or find another way!
I decided to machine out the sight line to clear the powder coating and maintain the clean edges. I may just leave it like that.
Bonded in the hosel;
4358a2c16c6b5ff1ad892f04506b63cd.jpg

I've actually also bonded in the shaft now so hopefully it'll dry by 5 and I'll take it out for a few putts!

That turned out really cool. Great project!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

So I took it out to the practice green to try it out. It was the talk of the club!haha As I was walking in everybody was like wtf is that! Nobody believes it's legal and I have to admit it is huge beyond belief!
The practice green is right next to the 18th green. I was minding my own business putting but every group that came in walked over to the putting green and asked for a go after laughing for a good few minutes.lol
74e3b1a0a116a175a03a2afd04c85c05.jpg

I have to say I was quite nervous how it'd putt as it was really generating interest.
I must say it's actually very decent! Even I was quite apprehensive after laying it out next to the Ping. It dwarfs it which is quite extraordinary as the Ping I have is the biggest putter in the club;
6978d77c7a411a0e150b73c779a7b67b.jpg

Same width but the depth of it makes it huge.
I was out there for a good 15 minutes before some people from the club came out to see it. So I got a good chance to get a feel for it. Unfortunately I haven't fitted the grip yet so it's still on a regular iron grip for the moment. The greens are in a horrendous state as they were top dressed on Monday and haven't been cut since. Nevertheless I still managed to get a comparison to the Ping.

What everybody agreed on was that it's incredibly accurate to the line you choose. It's difficult to pull or push and I think this is in equal parts due to the weight and high moi. I was able to hole several long putts and many short ones. This was surprising as the green was in such a poor state.
It was easy to get distance control dialed in once I got used to the green speed. The weight really promotes a steady stroke which is easy to replicate and I found I could attack the pin taking the ball a couple of feet past consistently. However this might also be due to the slow speed of the green.
One thing I was really shocked at was the sound. I was expecting more of a click similar to my Ping but it has quite a loud ting! That was a big surprise as it's a heavy putter with a 20mm thick face. If I'm honest this was the one thing I disapproved of as it is quite a cheap sound.lol I think this is probably due to the Aluminium being a relatively cheap alloy as opposed to the higher spec of the Ping. This one aspect really made me appreciate the time spent by manufacturers to get the feel and sound right. Once I got used to it I didn't mind but it's certainly an aspect of the putter that would be worth improving.
Feel was interesting, very similar to the Ping but the weight was very noticeable between the two. I found I was taking slow long swings with this and shorter faster swings with the Ping to achieve the same result. I did not try anything off center and I do not think I missed the sweet spot. It will be interesting what difference the super stroke makes to the feel.
16bdd43099449527a957b6e04d7d9e36.jpg

A lot of my friends were sitting on the terrace as I walked in and there was a lot of laughter. I think most of them just assumed I machined this without much thought about the science or rules involved.
When they took it off me they were shocked at how light it was. I must say this is true as you expect it to be very heavy but all the pockets and milled out center have done their job to bring the weight down. Anyway they giggled some more and wished me well. After I got the hang of it I holed 3 10 footers in a row and 3 of them decided to come have a go. I explained the science as they were asking questions and they all agreed the tracking of the putts to the chosen line was very good. All in all 3 groups of 4 and those 3 tried it out. One guy was flat out against using it but the others just kept telling me that it can't be legal. My best buddy had finished his round and was impressed. He holed several putts and I found this to be a real mark of approval as he games a beautiful Scotty Cameron Anser type putter and mocks my Ping. The best thing was that someone told the club pro and he came out and spent a couple of minutes knocking some putts. He again remarked about the tracking and wants another go when the greens are cut.
One thing that I found really useful is that the putter highlights all the flaws in your posture and set up. Because of the size and flat bottom people were forced to put their head over the sight and hold the putter according to the lie angle. Whilst I had never considered this when making the putter it is very useful to prevent alignment problems and side spin on the ball.
All in all it was a positive day, my only disappointment was the sound and I don't think that'll be an easy one to solve.

However, the comment of the day came from my caddy who told me that I'll need to hire an extra caddy just to carry the putter!haha
I have decided to machine the powder coating off the face as it's not of a great standard and that needs to be perfectly flat. I'll take it out for 9 tomorrow and see how it goes. So far I am pleased and it was worth the effort.

Sweet!

Man that looks sharp, glad it's working for you.

If you want to soften the sound, mill tiny ridges in the face.

Man that looks sharp, glad it's working for you.

If you want to soften the sound, mill tiny ridges in the face.

Cool I'll try that tomorrow!

Back