2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the course of two or three weeks I've gone from having to bring my fat boy clothes to Branson to being able to move a notch in the good direction on the belt. It is kind if amazing how much of a difference can be made just by making good food choices instead of eating every carb and sugar in your general vicinity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SQUATS!

10x10, first set at 135, last set at 185, all the sets in between at 155. 90 seconds rest in between sets.

This was fun. Not terribly bright, but fun. Nice to know I can take a break from squats and not lose depth.
Where do you get your walkers from? ;) that's a lot of volume. Jeebus

Yeah, on the drive home from the gym I had to push the clutch in on my car and got a charley horse something fierce and this flashed through my head:

post-6566-Ive-made-a-huge-mistake-gif-Im-8xJy.gif

It's only gotten worse since then. By tomorrow I suspect I'll regret this thoroughly.

After what's been an absolute bear of 6 weeks at work, basically doing nothing but working, eating, and sleeping, getting back in the gym tonight. Couldn't be happier.

Starting to eat a bit better, and feeling a bit better in general.

Back at it last night and feeling it today. I did a chest/tricep workout last night. I hate starting after no activity for a while. It hurts so good.

2015 Fitness and Weight-loss Thread

Did some sort of a workout today. Went into my back yard, grabbed the Olympic bar and some plates, and just went.
5x5 Power Clean @245
5x1 Power Clean with 20 second rest interval @ 280
2x20 Overhead squat @ 155
Parking Lot Lunges (body weight) 2 sets of 100 meters
3x12 Squat Jumps
2x12 Pistol Squats
6x100 Meter Wind Sprints
It was 93* outside. I sweat at least a gallon and my legs are scorched.

Did some sort of a workout today. Went into my back yard, grabbed the Olympic bar and some plates, and just went.
5x5 Power Clean @245
5x1 Power Clean with 20 second rest interval @ 280
2x20 Overhead squat @ 155
Parking Lot Lunges (body weight) 2 sets of 100 meters
3x12 Squat Jumps
2x12 Pistol Squats
6x100 Meter Wind Sprints
It was 93* outside. I sweat at least a gallon and my legs are scorched.

Schnickies. 245 power cleans for 5 reps is serious business.

Schnickies. 245 power cleans for 5 reps is serious business.

I've always been able to clean a lot. It's just my lift. I max out at about 430 on deads, 335 on squat and only 250 on bench. But I can power clean 290-295. I'm not that sure, as I'm not into the science of it. But I believe that makes me disproportionately strong in cleans compared to the rest of my lifts.

I've always been able to clean a lot. It's just my lift. I max out at about 430 on deads, 335 on squat and only 250 on bench. But I can power clean 290-295. I'm not that sure, as I'm not into the science of it. But I believe that makes me disproportionately strong in cleans compared to the rest of my lifts.

How high is your standing vertical jump? In the 30" range?

Speaking of power cleans

Last edited:
How high is your standing vertical jump? In the 30" range?

No idea. Never measured. I'm only 6'1" and I can dunk a basketball though. Don't know how much that tells you though, because I've only ever done that off of a step.

No idea. Never measured. I'm only 6'1" and I can dunk a basketball though. Don't know how much that tells you though, because I've only ever done that off of a step.

My bet is that you are more explosive than strong. Which is cool. I am the opposite and it is a grind.

Cleans (power cleans especially) are a measurement of large muscle mass recruitment over a short period of time, aka power. Yes, there's technique, and learning the technique will improve your ability to recruit muscle more effectively, but largely some people can just do it, and some people can't.

Last edited:
Cleans (power cleans especially) are a measurement of large muscle mass recruitment over a short period of time, aka power. Yes, there's technique, and learning the technique will improve your ability to recruit muscle more effectively, but largely some people can just do it, and some people can't.
Yup, pretty much it.

Back at the gym for the first time in a while and it was glorious. All kettlebells today.

2 handed swings and Turkish get ups. Hit my PR that I'd been trying. For a while - 40kg.

A single arm swing and squat/press ladder. 5 swings each side, 5 squat and press, repeat reducing squat and press by 1 each time.

Then a bunch of kettlebell snatches. Good times.

As of this morning, I'm down 24.9 pounds since March 8! That's just over 10% from my highest ever, as well! Only 6.1 pounds till I'm no longer a Clyde!

As of this morning, I'm down 24.9 pounds since March 8! That's just over 10% from my highest ever, as well! Only 6.1 pounds till I'm no longer a Clyde!

Congrats sir keep it up!

Thinking about ordering the Advanced Kettlebell Set and a 15lbs Mace from ONNIT Fitness. I'm thinking these will help my golf specific power way more than traditional bar/dumbells will.

Thinking about ordering the Advanced Kettlebell Set and a 15lbs Mace from ONNIT Fitness. I'm thinking these will help my golf specific power way more than traditional bar/dumbells will.

I'm a HUGE fan of kettlebell workouts, but I think there is a ton to be gained from the bar for golf as well.

I'm not entirely convinced of that thinking. For whatever that's worth.

Have you ever tried Mace workouts?

Have you ever tried Mace workouts?

That does intrigue me. But I'm not entirely sold on it being "golf specific"

That does intrigue me. But I'm not entirely sold on it being "golf specific"

I agree. But anything that specifically targets core, hips, shoulders and just about everything stabilizer related interests me a bit.

I agree. But anything that specifically targets core, hips, shoulders and just about everything stabilizer related interests me a bit.

It will be more on the "conditioning" side of the S&C scale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back