The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never been to a driving range where I honestly could say that person needs to swing faster. In my 35 plus years I'm just used to seeing the opposite. By reading a lot of the struggles by guys and gals on here with golf. I'm willing to bet that 80% of their issues are what I have witnessed on driving ranges for my entire golf career. Old pro once told me " when you feel like your swinging 60% of your natural speed. This is when you will be playing your best golf".

This is will probably be looked at like a troll type of post. But may have been the best advice I have ever received but never could grasp it until this season. I've never known swinging that slow could actually produce the same distance as swinging 10000 miles an hour like a majority of you do.

I have never been to a driving range where I honestly could say that person needs to swing faster. In my 35 plus years I'm just used to seeing the opposite. By reading a lot of the struggles by guys and gals on here with golf. I'm willing to bet that 80% of their issues are what I have witnessed on driving ranges for my entire golf career. Old pro once told me " when you feel like your swinging 60% of your natural speed. This is when you will be playing your best golf".

This is will probably be looked at like a troll type of post. But may have been the best advice I have ever received but never could grasp it until this season. I've never known swinging that slow could actually produce the same distance as swinging 10000 miles an hour like a majority of you do.

This is so true. Every time I go to the range I work on getting the feel of a 3/4 swing (my right shoulder is at 12 o'clock when I feel this and if I go to what feels like a full swing, it's coming back to the left side of my body). I also work on swinging at everything like I'm swinging a wedge (as far as transition and speed go). Doing that, I can hit a 280+ yard drive consistently. Then I always get cocky and put that oomph into it. It almost always results in a low weak hook out of bounds. Lesson still not completely learned, but it's getting better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put together a set of blades (Mizuno MP-4's, 64's and 30's), had them properly fitted and re-gripped and hit them for the first time today and had a fabulous range session today.

I don't necessarily disagree. But I believe people who for a fast swing develop bad tempo. Fix the tempo, swing at your natural *down swing* speed.

I'm a believer that the first goal is always distance and then you work on accuracy.

Also, have ever golfed with any of us?

I don't necessarily disagree. But I believe people who for a fast swing develop bad tempo. Fix the tempo, swing at your natural *down swing* speed.

I'm a believer that the first goal is always distance and then you work on accuracy.

Also, have ever golfed with any of us?

I'm inclined to agree with you on your last point. I worked a lot on getting my swing speed up with my instructor while still making good contact - then we worked on getting the face squared up more consistently.

On top of that, the second I think "swing smooth" I'm decelerating. The golf swing, when done right, is still a pretty aggressive move for a lot of people. We can't all be Ernie Els.

I'm inclined to agree with you on your last point. I worked a lot on getting my swing speed up with my instructor while still making good contact - then we worked on getting the face squared up more consistently.

On top of that, the second I think "swing smooth" I'm decelerating. The golf swing, when done right, is still a pretty aggressive move for a lot of people. We can't all be Ernie Els.
Ernie Els in his prime was pretty aggressive. Just smooth. You don't hit his swing speeds with a passive swing.

I am a big fan of having your down swing being as fast as your body thinks it needs to be.

That isn't a revolutionary idea. My instructor believes it. Hank Haney believes it, but he doesn't understand the golf swing.

I'm in the majority of guys who have always been hands and arms. So for us slowing them down lets the lower body lead naturally. My lower body always stuck because I was all hit and smash. Also I was never talented enough to just think lower body, the slowing down of the hands and arms really helps me

In abs it is called post acceleration. The better the player you are the faster the speed happens later not earlier

Range session was very solid, feeling very confident with my new swing. Not any huge problems to report. Cant wait to tee it up this week

Worked on alignment for a bit. Embracing my tendency towards a closed stance and timing it so that the impact occurs after I clear my hips. The increase in power is noticeable, and it feels right. It's gotten me back into more of a straight/draw ball flight from a straight/fade ball flight so I just have to allow for it.

Also spent a good amount of time chipping onto my putting strip. I put the ball on a foam pad and left myself 2-3 feet of carry to get to the putting strip. Was pretty good on the path of the ball but the ball height (and therefore speed) were all over the place. I may add my 49° niblick bag into the bag purely for chipping and runout shots, I am a lot more consistent with that club.

Headed to the range for my first extended real practice session in a while. Pretty darn excited.

Hit a bucket this morning. Lots of balls with pw then 7 iron. Had a good groove going
473c127b2851e4471a70818cb643ccfc.jpg

Then I hit some drivers and had very mixed results. Lots of blocks and hooks mixed with couple good ones

Hit a large bucket working on my accuracy with aw-8i to try to get my GIR up. Picked some bunkers out in the range and pretended they were my greens. Hit most of them. I'd say 75% were "on the green" and Aside from a handful of hooks it went well.

Also worked on my driver a bit. Battling the hook right now but distance is back up.

Then to the chipping and putting area. Hit about 40-50 chips with my aw and pw to various holes on the green, half from
Above the green and half from below. From above the green
Needs work, most ran past the hole and off the other side.

For putting I just worked my way 360 around a hole from 3ft, 5ft and 10ft so I got uphill, downhill and side breaking looks from those various distances.

Playing a short tight course tomorrow with my dad. Hopefully this work pays off! I need to break 90 soon or I might lose my mind! Lol

Went out for a bucket just before dark. Ended up having one of my best ball striking sessions in a long time. Swing felt loose and smooth. Was making crisp contact with all irons. Went to hit some driver and the mini and was not striking well, so went back to 6 iron and got in a rhythm. Then went back to driver and something clicked. I realized with irons my swing is different from woods. From set up to tempo to rhythm to mindset... all different. With irons I'm thinking smooth takeaway, gempo and making solid contact through a good swing. With woods I'm thinking hit it far, hit it hard. Went to thinking "put a good swing on it for solid contact" and whaddyaknow? Started hitting it nice and solid getting good distance but most important, hitting my lines. Ended the session so well that it made me want to go play 18. Too bad the darkness combined with sprinkles and lightning chased me away... I'm really looking forward to keeping the correct mindset on my swings with driver and fairways and improving my ball striking!

Quick practice round at the Par 3 course tonight. Not great LOL. 38 on a par 30.

This course is so ridiculous. Rock hard fairways. All but one green is domed. If you aren't dead on with your tee game, you are absolutely hooped. My game was not "on" today. Putting work is paying off, lag putts and aim doing great. 30-50 yard short game needs work.

Good range session tonight. Didn't work on anything and only hit my hybrid and my 7i.
Just trying to keep the tempo and the swing grooved.

Good range session tonight. Didn't work on anything and only hit my hybrid and my 7i.
Just trying to keep the tempo and the swing grooved.
You have really been putting in the work for the Legacy. It is going to pay off and you are going to play great.

Hit the range with my son, worked on taking away the club slower and seemed to work well. My shots were very consistent and pleased with how I have improved. 18 coming up in a few days and hoping shoot my PB

I've been hitting it hard again the last week and a half getting back to fundamentals and working with wedges, short irons, and driver. I put my Titleist back in the bag at the range yesterday to do some testing and even though it's a little shorter than the R15 it's deadly accurate and consistent. I'm working on keeping the right elbow tucked going back and really loosening the grip, the results are nice and solid contact again.

I've been hitting it hard again the last week and a half getting back to fundamentals and working with wedges, short irons, and driver. I put my Titleist back in the bag at the range yesterday to do some testing and even though it's a little shorter than the R15 it's deadly accurate and consistent. I'm working on keeping the right elbow tucked going back and really loosening the grip, the results are nice and solid contact again.
I love seeing you post in this thread. To me it means you're getting the fire back. Don't ever lose that flame Trouter. You're one of the best players I've ever gotten to share a round with. You can play some golf my friend. That Titleist is gunna cave in on you! Lol!

I love seeing you post in this thread. To me it means you're getting the fire back. Don't ever lose that flame Trouter. You're one of the best players I've ever gotten to share a round with. You can play some golf my friend. That Titleist is gunna cave in on you! Lol!

Thank you for the inspiration dude, your drive makes me want to get good again. That Titleist is just crazy good lol, it's the first driver I got fit for and damn if it hasn't stood the test of time, I found another one brand new still in plastic last week in my travels and I'm thinking about picking it up for a back up lol in case mine does crack or something.. Crazy

Each of the last two nights I've gotten out and walked/played/practice. I worked mainly on trying to get the shanks out after having 4 during Sunday's round and having 2 more during a 9 hole round Tuesday. I didn't have any last night so I hope I've got it figured out. Just sucks to have all the huge amount of confidence I'd built up over the last 2 months sucked out of my game because of 6 shots. Every iron shot still has them on my mind right now.

Each of the last two nights I've gotten out and walked/played/practice. I worked mainly on trying to get the shanks out after having 4 during Sunday's round and having 2 more during a 9 hole round Tuesday. I didn't have any last night so I hope I've got it figured out. Just sucks to have all the huge amount of confidence I'd built up over the last 2 months sucked out of my game because of 6 shots. Every iron shot still has them on my mind right now.

They pop up on me from time to time and they are frightening, as good as you are you'll get it sorted out soon but I know where you're coming from

Went out for a bucket at the range today for the first time with the new irons. Got everything I needed visually to be fully confident with them. Distance should be right on with what I've come to expect, and the forgiveness is surprisingly good in these J15 CB's.

Only problem is I got about half way through and started hitting everything thin. 3 wood down to PW. It was the weirdest thing. I think I was a little dehydrated and I hadn't eaten yet all day so I think my body just got drained and my timing went off. Was hitting some great shots though at the beginning and man those irons feel great.

Hit a large bucket working on my accuracy with aw-8i to try to get my GIR up. Picked some bunkers out in the range and pretended they were my greens. Hit most of them. I'd say 75% were "on the green" and Aside from a handful of hooks it went well.

Also worked on my driver a bit. Battling the hook right now but distance is back up.

Then to the chipping and putting area. Hit about 40-50 chips with my aw and pw to various holes on the green, half from
Above the green and half from below. From above the green
Needs work, most ran past the hole and off the other side.

For putting I just worked my way 360 around a hole from 3ft, 5ft and 10ft so I got uphill, downhill and side breaking looks from those various distances.

Playing a short tight course tomorrow with my dad. Hopefully this work pays off! I need to break 90 soon or I might lose my mind! Lol

Well less than 24 hours from this post I broke 90! I guess the practice is paying off!

I went through the same thing about 3 weeks ago, I was hitting my irons the best I've hit them in awhile. I went to hit a few balls the day before our work league and bam, the shanks just showed up. I mean it was bad, I was almost afraid to hit any iron shots for awhile. I think when I was practicing I was so focused on a smooth, low take away that I was taking the club way to far outside and then coming back across the ball. Knock on wood, I haven't had any trouble lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back