Practicing With a Blade

I have 3 sets of irons - blades, forged cavity backs and cast cavity backs (GI styled). I don't think hitting blades are going to make you a better ball striker. Hitting more balls in general will make you a better ball striker. I find GI irons give me a higher, straighter, better looking ball flight. If you are hitting out of the toe, heel, fat or thin it doesn't matter what your swinging, the results aren't desirable.

I went to the range, and simply pretended I was hitting with a blade, and thus had to swing slower to make better contact.

I was more consistent with my shots, and while I may have lost some distance, that consistency is far more important to me.

I purchased some used MP-33's and MP-5's...and may try and make the switch. My handicap suggests I'm not ready, but I got a great price on both sets (only meant to buy the one set of MP33's...but then after making the purchase came across a used MP4 set that are my favorite set of irons to look at, and the only blades I've ever hit, and I couldn't resist).

If I can't hit them, I'll still enjoy looking at them. But, I really think with practice I'll be able to hit them, and enjoy doing so.

Undoubtedly, I'm soon to be in the doghouse with my wife when, not one , but two sets of irons are delivered to my door next week (I just bought my first set of irons in November 2014).

While I'm finding myself to prefer something with a little smaller profile (i25 and z545 are about perfect to me), I have never had an issue telling where I've hit a ball through the bag, even when I have a super forgiving iron like the G30 in the bag. Even when I tested the altitudes, this wasn't an issue.

Sure, the toe ball has a better flight and might end up on the green, but I still know I need to move contact back towards the face.

Practicing With a Blade

I started out playing blades. They took a while to get used to. I remember one day hitting a 5 iron approach on a long par four and having to look down to check if the ball was still at my feet because I thought I'd missed it. I'd absolutely flushed it and that feeling was unreal. I was hooked on them ever since and search for that feeling of the crisply struck iron every round. Feedback is tremendous... Good and bad shots can be seen AND felt. I tried someone's callaway X's once and it felt like a brick and looked like a hockey stick. The ugliest thing I've ever hit.... Don't get me started on their oversized wedges....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started doing old blade drills again a few days ago before playing a round. It really forced me to use my body correctly, whereas my callaway razor irons being so light make me want to just hit early. The blades are very difficult, but the weight/smaller face and sole really make you focus on precision and control versus bomb and gouge. I shoot my best golf with the callaway razors by far, I'm thinking the blades will hone you in on a proper swing. Unfortunately I'm so limited on time so more than likely I will always game the razor irons.

have to say if you fight ott and throw hit early like I have my whole life. Join up with Brad Hughes or ABS program, they recommend using a blade to practice with their drills. I've never could beat ott on my own. Now if i just had more time to do it again

I started doing old blade drills again a few days ago before playing a round. It really forced me to use my body correctly, whereas my callaway razor irons being so light make me want to just hit early. The blades are very difficult, but the weight/smaller face and sole really make you focus on precision and control versus bomb and gouge. I shoot my best golf with the callaway razors by far, I'm thinking the blades will hone you in on a proper swing. Unfortunately I'm so limited on time so more than likely I will always game the razor irons.

have to say if you fight ott and throw hit early like I have my whole life. Join up with Brad Hughes or ABS program, they recommend using a blade to practice with their drills. I've never could beat ott on my own. Now if i just had more time to do it again

Why just not order a set of GI irons at the heavier swingweight though, if you find that's what helps you prevent a flip?

Why just not order a set of GI irons at the heavier swingweight though, if you find that's what helps you prevent a flip?
I agree very much with your thought. I am anticipating the next post.

Why not just practice not flipping? Why not utilize a PGA Professional and take lessons with a person who can tailor drills and lesson for your specific needs?

Ive received some great help in person, but these abs drills are so so good. Wish I had local guys that taught this information but they just can't. Trackman was nice but never helped me get on plane like the abs drills do. As far as new equipment, I'm really out of the loop what I can and can't order

Just my opinion but using a blade to practice will give you that nice sting and harsh feedback to the hands it wont help with fixing any swing flaw's.

I purchased some used Mizuno blades (MP-4 and MP 30's) and have been hitting them almost exclusively the last couple of weeks.

I feel my swing has improved very significantly. I don't have the option of trying to overpower the ball bc I'm afraid I'll make really poor contact if I do.
It seems to have really helped to smooth out my swing this way.

I've had 4-5 of the best range sessions of my life.

It seems like the main thing is that it helps me to be much more disciplined with my swing.
Whereas I could sometimes get a little mentally lazy with my swing, and know that my more forgiving 850F's could still put the ball in the general vicinity of the target, I don't have that same luxury with the blades.

I haven't played a round of golf with them yet, and I'm sure when I get on the course, and find myself sitting 220 out with a lie I'm not totally comfortable with, and look down and see that tiny little 3-iron head, I might crap my pants, but so far, I really think it's helped me to improve my swing.

I appreciate that everyone learns differently, and this may not be the wisest path for many, but I'm really happy with the results, thus far, for me.

I took my regular irons out of the bag yesterday, and am shipping them up to Vancouver (I'm up there quite a bit).

I can definitely see myself going back to them in the future, but for the time being, I think this is the best way for me to work on my swing.

I'm not actually even sure the MP-30's/MP-64's are a true blade???

So, for enquiring minds, what would be a recommended practice blade from somewhere like CPO?

So, for enquiring minds, what would be a recommended practice blade from somewhere like CPO?
Not sure about CPO....but, used blades seem to be easy to find, and at a great price. I think a lot of people attempt to make the switch, and then a short time later go back to their more forgiving irons.

Unless it has to be Calloway, you can likely find a good set of used Mizuno's for $200, or less.
I picked up 2 separate combo sets:
MP-33 (w/ MP-30 3 and 4 irons)
MP-4s (w/ MP-64 and 5 and 6 irons)

I think there are plenty of options; find something that you like the looks of and makes you feel more confident.

Not sure about CPO....but, used blades seem to be easy to find, and at a great price. I think a lot of people attempt to make the switch, and then a short time later go back to their more forgiving irons.

Unless it has to be Calloway, you can likely find a good set of used Mizuno's for $200, or less.
I picked up 2 separate combo sets:
MP-33 (w/ MP-30 3 and 4 irons)
MP-4s (w/ MP-64 and 5 and 6 irons)

I think there are plenty of options; find something that you like the looks of and makes you feel more confident.

Thanks for the info... Does not have to be Callaway, but I need a club with a one inch extension, plus I would probably only buy a single club (perhaps a 7-iron). CPO makes it easy to custom order.

When do you think is the right time to try blades if not now? Handicap 12 doesn't look like the handicap of a beginner. I think you can try them out, but use your existing clubs as a baseline. If the blades feel and perform better than your existing set, then you've got something there. There are also blades that have a little more "meat" behind them, so they're not as unforgiving as real blades. My former irons were cast cavity backs, R9's, but for some reason I hit better with Mizuno MP 52's. Bottom line, try them out head to head against your existing irons, and see if you like the results.

I went to the range to practice before playing 9 holes.

A gentlemen I don't really know says 'I really like your swing...what are you hitting?'
He then says 'I have some better irons for you in my car...I want you to hit them.'

I politely decline saying I just got these blades. He says do me a favor and just hit them, it can't hurt.

Sure enough I hit 2-3 balls clean with his Cobra SS irons (6-iron).

He tries to sell (or trade) me his irons.
Again, I decline, telling him that I just got these to practice with...

His response "you're not good enough yet to hit those."

Now, I may in fact not be good enough to hit the blades, but a total stranger saying that to me was a little crazy.

I shot a 3 over (9 holes) today, playing the blades for the first time, and didn't mis hit a single shot today.

Im not a sensitive guy by nature, but for a total stranger to approach me and tell me I'm not good enough for my clubs...that's just an odd thing to say (at least by my standards). The odd part was when he said that I was hitting some beautiful 3-iron shots.

Yes that is a bit bold of him, I agree. Glad the blades are working out for you. Nothing like building that confidence on the course. Keep it going and lets get some even par rounds going.
I went to the range to practice before playing 9 holes.

A gentlemen I don't really know says 'I really like your swing...what are you hitting?'
He then says 'I have some better irons for you in my car...I want you to hit them.'

I politely decline saying I just got these blades. He says do me a favor and just hit them, it can't hurt.

Sure enough I hit 2-3 balls clean with his Cobra SS irons (6-iron).

He tries to sell (or trade) me his irons.
Again, I decline, telling him that I just got these to practice with...

His response "you're not good enough yet to hit those."

Now, I may in fact not be good enough to hit the blades, but a total stranger saying that to me was a little crazy.

I shot a 3 over (9 holes) today, playing the blades for the first time, and didn't mis hit a single shot today.

Im not a sensitive guy by nature, but for a total stranger to approach me and tell me I'm not good enough for my clubs...that's just an odd thing to say (at least by my standards). The odd part was when he said that I was hitting some beautiful 3-iron shots.

Yes that is a bit bold of him, I agree. Glad the blades are working out for you. Nothing like building that confidence on the course. Keep it going and lets get some even par rounds going.
Thanks Freddie!
I'm under no false illusion that my skill level is commensurate with a guy who should be playing blades.
I fully expect to return to my regular irons at some point...but for the time being, for reasons I honestly don't understand (I'm pretty sure its all mental stuff like I'm more focused/disciplined with my swing, and never try and overpower the ball) I'm swinging better then ever.

I had a birdie, and 5 pars today. That was my lowest 9 hole score ever.

Thanks Freddie!
I'm under no false illusion that my skill level is commensurate with a guy who should be playing blades.
I fully expect to return to my regular irons at some point...but for the time being, for reasons I honestly don't understand (I'm pretty sure its all mental stuff like I'm more focused/disciplined with my swing, and never try and overpower the ball) I'm swinging better then ever.

I had a birdie, and 5 pars today. That was my lowest 9 hole score ever.
There is no hard, fast rule that dictates what one should play. Enjoy your time with the blades. I think if and when you move back to your other clubs you'll see the ease in which you produce shots.

The guy that does all my tattoos hits himself with his banana slice off the tee and hits old wilson blades like uts his job. It doesn't make sense to me but it is what it is. Have fun!!

I hit the TP MB irons for a little while today. I hit them very well even the 3 iron. For a brief moment I thought to myself I could game irons like these but quickly brushed that thought aside knowing they don't do anything for me my cavity backs don't.

I took a couple weeks off of hitting balls altogether (vacation).

I was hitting the ball really well before I left, with my blades.

I came back and really struggled to make good consistent contact for 4 days in a row. I hadn't had a single day struggling with them before.

Yesterday, I went back to my regular 850F's and played 9 holes with them, and had a very consistent day with them. I felt more confident, and was much more consistent.

I think I was able to hit the blades somewhat consistently before simply because I was practicing so much.

It became very clear to me upon returning from my short hiatus that I was simply penalizing myself by choosing to play the blades over my 850's.

But, I still like the idea of practicing with them every now and then.

Enjoy your time with the blades. I think if and when you move back to your other clubs you'll see the ease in which you produce shots.
Well, you were right (at least for 1 day). Having gone back to my 850 F's yesterday for the first time, it seemed almost effortless to hit the ball.

I was at Golfsmith, and just for kicks, I picked up a blade (Mizuno MP-4, 6-iron) and hit some balls.
I don't have the game to play a blade, but that was my first time hitting a blade and it was fun.
I was actually hitting pretty nice balls, but when you didn't hit the sweet spot just right, it definitely let you know.
It also made me swing smoother.

Has anyone used blades to practice with? Any thoughts?

It seems like it would be a great way to improve your swing, no???

I wouldn't buy a set or anything, but maybe a single long iron.

By the way, wow, was that MP-4 a pretty club!

I have been there before. Got fitted last year for a set of G30 irons. I struggled to be consistent with them. One day on the range I was practicing with a buddy and his son(scratch golfer) who plays titleist blades. His dad suggest trying to hit his sons blade. Pretty much telling me I cant hit them. Well I struck 4 solid 8iron shots dead straight. This intrigued me. The next week i ended up purchasing a set of S58 irons off ebay way cheaper than what I payed for my G30s. I love them. I have never had more control and if I miss hit it, it still goes straight just not as far. I no longer am relying on the club to be forgiving. I am depending that I swing the club right. This has payed off. I shot my best rd ever 78, and followed that with rds of 85 and 86. I always struggled to break 90. I feel more confident and will never go back.

I have been there before. Got fitted last year for a set of G30 irons. I struggled to be consistent with them. One day on the range I was practicing with a buddy and his son(scratch golfer) who plays titleist blades. His dad suggest trying to hit his sons blade. Pretty much telling me I cant hit them. Well I struck 4 solid 8iron shots dead straight. This intrigued me. The next week i ended up purchasing a set of S58 irons off ebay way cheaper than what I payed for my G30s. I love them. I have never had more control and if I miss hit it, it still goes straight just not as far. I no longer am relying on the club to be forgiving. I am depending that I swing the club right. This has payed off. I shot my best rd ever 78, and followed that with rds of 85 and 86. I always struggled to break 90. I feel more confident and will never go back.
This is pretty intriguing. A less forgiving club helped you drop 12 shots? Thats incredible haha guess i need to try some blades

This is pretty intriguing. A less forgiving club helped you drop 12 shots? Thats incredible haha guess i need to try some blades[/QUOTE
Confidence is a bonus now. I have had compliments that this is the best iron play my buddy has ever seen. Help me drop 12 strokes no i dont believe that. That day my driver stayed in the fairway and I had more gir than i have had in a long time.

Back