Practicing With a Blade

Digging up an old thread.

I just set up a new practicing routine for the next few months which includes practicing with the mp14 twice a week and play one round a week with the mp14.

I think there's a lot of value in practicing with mb irons, same way you do with hittting golf balls in batting practice, adding weights to cross training and running, or practicing with less forgiving equipments/conditions to refine focus and feel.

In fact, I found that it produces better result than practicing with the playing set, GI, and SGI for 2 main reasons, one you'll get better result when playing with more forgiving clubs, and two practicing conditions and playing conditions are not always the same not to mention awkward in between distances. I play 3-5 rounds a week and practice about the same amount, I can't take more than 70% of what I practice on to the course.

You also need to be more aggressive thru impact with Mb irons not less smooth not lazy, it's a win-win in my book.

I don't get it. Ball flight is all the feedback I need. I don't think there is any value in practicing with them. Practice with what you play. Play what you want. Don't make excuses

200_s.gif

This has never made sense to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you play blades fine. But the idea of practicing with blades then playing with GI just makes zero sense to me

I would think it needs to be the same lie/ length and weight with the same shaft for it to be effective.

I wouldn't completely discount it, similar to the thought behind the tourstriker(?) practice iron.

I have a set of MC irons I used in the middle of the season and after putting the GI irons back in the bag, I've never hit them better.

I certainly would not discount using a blade as people learn in different fashions but one of my playing partners actually developed a worse swing flaw doing just this. He had started using a blade at the range in hopes of honing a draw. However, his ballflight was low with the blade, even with good contact, and he started flipping at impact to add height. Took him quite awhile to get back from that little adventure.

I was at Golfsmith, and just for kicks, I picked up a blade (Mizuno MP-4, 6-iron) and hit some balls.
I don't have the game to play a blade, but that was my first time hitting a blade and it was fun.
I was actually hitting pretty nice balls, but when you didn't hit the sweet spot just right, it definitely let you know.
It also made me swing smoother.

Has anyone used blades to practice with? Any thoughts?

It seems like it would be a great way to improve your swing, no???

I wouldn't buy a set or anything, but maybe a single long iron.

By the way, wow, was that MP-4 a pretty club!

I game MP-4's, so yes, I think it's a great idea! Even if you play big ol' cavity backs, I think it's a good idea to pick up a $3 blade from your local goodwill, and take it out to the range for some increased feedback. Same with using an old small headed wooden driver. Get one and take it to the range. The problem with the big heads we use today is that they allow a lot of sloppiness in ball contact because of the increased forgiveness. Practice a bit with a small head so you really have to focus on good contact at impact. I think it's a good idea. I game blades, and have an old hickory driver that I'll hit from time to time for just these reasons.

I game MP-4's, so yes, I think it's a great idea! Even if you play big ol' cavity backs, I think it's a good idea to pick up a $3 blade from your local goodwill, and take it out to the range for some increased feedback. Same with using an old small headed wooden driver. Get one and take it to the range. The problem with the big heads we use today is that they allow a lot of sloppiness in ball contact because of the increased forgiveness. Practice a bit with a small head so you really have to focus on good contact at impact. I think it's a good idea. I game blades, and have an old hickory driver that I'll hit from time to time for just these reasons.

I agree with some of this. I know in the later part of the season I switched to playing my blades exclusively. My focus sharpened, my ball striking got better. And it had an effect on my course management as well. Course management was mostly due to playing a much controlled game. And thinks my about where my Miss could end up. Subsequently I shot some of the best rounds that I have in over 10 years.

However there is a difference between practicing with a blade and just going head first to playing blades. Practicing with a blade will give you feedback certainly, but going back to a non-blades iron can have a totally different feel and trajectory.

But in the end I say do what ever floats your boat to enjoy this great game.

I don't get this but I think it could work for some players.

IMO, if holding a blade gives you increased focus and better striking I think you should game blades full time.

I don't get this but I think it could work for some players.

IMO, if holding a blade gives you increased focus and better striking I think you should game blades full time.
Hitting a GI/SGI will give you feedback as well like others have stated.

However, the feedback is followed up by a lot more penal distance loss and directional errors with a player/blade. Distances aren't as exaggerated with the later as well.

If someone can get the ball in the air without bad habits I think this works. I've taken this route and end of this year finally made a big move. As always...I'm on the short side of thinking...haha

There is nothing as great as the effortless feel of a pured blade, I have to agree with Army if you can hit a blade in practice play it all the time. The new ones like the Z965 and even the Titleist T MB (not a true blade) are not that hard to hit, but if you have a slow SS get ready to club up but if light be from the short grass.

I tried the T MB for quite a few swings yesterday and it was straight as can be but with my slow SS was not very long. I will be trying the Z965 soon just to see the difference.

Playing with blades can't teach you to swing correctly. Anyone can learn to hit blades through different tweaks in the swing. It doesn't mean youre maximizing the true potential of the club. Practicing with blades can be a very bad situation. But if you have a solid swing it can have its advantages

Playing with blades can't teach you to swing correctly. Anyone can learn to hit blades through different tweaks in the swing. It doesn't mean youre maximizing the true potential of the club. Practicing with blades can be a very bad situation. But if you have a solid swing it can have its advantages
I like this thought. It's amazing how much you can get away with away from center or not properly entering face angle with a forgiving head... But it doesn't mean you'll automagically get better by playing blades. You'll just know a lot faster how bad the swing was.

I do really enjoy seeing how my contact quality is with blades... But that's where it stops.

I like this thought. It's amazing how much you can get away with away from center or not properly entering face angle with a forgiving head... But it doesn't mean you'll automagically get better by playing blades. You'll just know a lot faster how bad the swing was.
This...much better put...thank you.

Practicing With a Blade

Swinging any club won't get you there if you have a poor foundation really. It doesn't matter if it's a blade or a SGI

The feedback is obvious. You feel and see the result of less than stellar swings. Personally, I can tell the same from more forgiving irons too.

Where I go sideways is in anybody trying to tie the observation to the ability for correction. Seeing the miss only lets you see the miss, it doesn't tell you why you missed and how to not miss like that again.

The blade will never tell you the why.

I definitely think there is something to this. I know when I hit a blade at my buddies shop I focus a lot more on the strike.

Practicing With a Blade

The feedback is obvious. You feel and see the result of less than stellar swings. Personally, I can tell the same from more forgiving irons too.

Where I go sideways is in anybody trying to tie the observation to the ability for correction. Seeing the miss only lets you see the miss, it doesn't tell you why you missed and how to not miss like that again.

The blade will never tell you the why.

But understanding ball flight and what causes that reaction is key with any missed shot. Where a blade stands out IMO is that it doesn't mask for a shot that's not struck in the sweet spot. But I get what everyone is saying to a degree.

But understanding ball flight and what causes that reaction is key with any missed shot. Where a blade stands out IMO is that it doesn't mask for a shot that's not struck in the sweet spot. But I get what everyone is saying to a degree.

Most golfers have no clue what causes or maintains a positive ball flight. While a blade won't mask the flaws, you can certainly give yourself a false sense of security.

Most golfers have no clue what causes or maintains a positive ball flight. While a blade won't mask the flaws, you can certainly give yourself a false sense of security.

That's true, even on the internet I suppose.

This concept has been used in cricket for decades. The idea there is to practice hitting a much smaller ball (golf ball) with a much smaller bat (baseball bat). Helps to groove center contact, direction, and face control with hands; does not help with the backlift and stroke (cricket terms for backswing and downswing). As long as the goal is improving contact and not magically get the swingplane right, this would be helpful. Don't know why I didn't think of this earlier.

Back