"I work here!!!" - terrible experience at my home course

Reaction score
Handicap
Invited 3 buddies out for an early AM round at my home course (which will remain nameless) last week... we had the first time off the box at 6:00 AM.

Context - I'm at this course at least 3x a week for practice or a round and have been for the last 4 years.

We all arrived at 5:30. One of our group knew the starter and struck up a conversation with him in the parking lot. He told us to go ahead off the first tee whenever we were ready.

I went in and paid the tab. It was about 5:40 so I asked the young lady behind the desk if we could go ahead OR if we needed to wait for the starter or the maintenance crew. She told me it was fine for us to go ahead.

We hit our tee shots at approx 5:45 am. One of the guys was mowing #1 so we waited for him to clear the fairway. He was done with the green by the time we got to our approach shots.

After our approaches we were lining up our putts when a single approached me in a cart insisting that we had to go back to the first tee and check in with the starter. I tried to tell him that we had spoken w/ the starter and the manager in the clubhouse and were good to go... he interrupted me loudly, told me "I work here! You have to go back to the starter. You are not good to go. The maintenance crew is mad at you. Go back to the tee, now."

This guy may or may not have worked there BUT - was clearly not working today as he had clubs on the cart. I asked him to let me finish and again explained the situation. He insisted and would not let it go.

HINDSIGHT: If at this point I had simply said something like "Sir, I'm sorry you're upset. If you want to play through, go ahead. If the marshal or the starter have a problem, feel free to send them our way" and walked back to the green, it's possible that things would've ended there.

Instead I drove back to the starter. The rest of my group came with me and Mr. I Work Here followed us. The starter looked surprised to see us and said we were good to go. That wasn't good enough for Mr. I Work Here who started insisting that we needed a starting time placard.

At that point I said, "We're done with the conversation now sir... have a great day and hit 'em straight." He replies that no, we're not done with the conversation, and escalates it further. One of my playing partners (6'4", 250lbs easy) tells him that we're ready to drop it and move on.

Mr. I Work Here takes it one step further with this gem: "Have you ever played golf before?!? They have to know who's on the course! You have to check in! (etc)." My buddy responded - loudly at this point - that yes, he had played golf before and that Mr. I Work Here seemed to have forgotten who the customer is here. At that point the starter got between them and told us to go ahead with our round and told Mr. I Work Here to cool it.

As you might guess, Mr. I Work Here then wanted to play through on #2. We stepped aside and let him thru as 1) it was the right thing to do and 2) we didn't want him hitting into us all day.

At the end of the round I ran into the manager. She started apologizing before I even got a word out. I appreciated and accepted the apology and suggested that if my buddies could have a beer or two on the house that might encourage them to return to the course some day. She immediately told the bartender to hook them up.

So, what say you THP? Do I keep my membership? Discuss it further with the (new) owner? Let it go?

Last edited:
Who was Mr. I work here? A senior-citizen unpaid starter volunteer? Or a salaried employee? That would make a difference in my decision and my expectations on how the club handled the incident.

Sounds like the manager already took care of you and your friends. I'd just let it go at this point unless it happens again.

I wouldn't drop your membership. Sounds like one jerk employee and the rest tried to make it right.

I think everyone but "Mr. I Work Here" handled it the right way. Who did he turn out to be anyways? He sounds like a crazy person.

Who was Mr. I work here? A senior-citizen unpaid starter volunteer? Or a salaried employee? That would make a difference in my decision and my expectations on how the club handled the incident.

Not exactly sure - good question. Just based on my observation I would say that he was not a senior citizen.

I wouldn't let one d-bag ruin it if you like the course. The manager hooked you up, so I'd call it water under the bridge at this point.

You spend a bunch of time at the course, did you recognize that guy? I wouldn't pull a membership just because of that. However I would talk to the manger or owner if you'd like. I had something similar with a ranger at our course last year. Every ranger at the course knew me and that when I played as a solo, I could get around the course fast. One night I played the back 9 first and played in about 45 minutes. Got to the 1st tee and he came over to ask what I was doing and that carts needed to be in 60 minutes from then. Told him I was looking to play just a few, maybe 9 if time allowed and would drive in. Wasn't good enough for him. Long story short, got to the 9th(my 18th of night) with 15 minutes to go and he comes riding up and tells me that I need to pick up the pace if I want to get in. At that point I was pretty mad, and said listen I've just played 17 holes in under 90 minutes. If you hadn't stopped me on 1, I'd be done already. Besides there is a good chance I'm going to finish this hole and have everything packed in my car within 15 minutes. That ranger isn't back this year.

I think everyone but "Mr. I Work Here" handled it the right way. Who did he turn out to be anyways? He sounds like a crazy person.

Don't know. I could probably find out if I spoke w/ the manager. I wanted to let a bit of time pass before taking any action (if at all). It was a lousy start to a round and an embarrassing situation at my home course with some good friends... didn't want to talk to the boss when I was still fired up about it.

Sounds like you handled the situation pretty well. I would followup with the manager next time at the course to make sure this wont happen again. If the problem is addressed, I don't see a reason to leave the club.

I'd guess to say all he really wanted to do was play through and hopefully having an off day. If the manager or owner made it right in the end then I'd chalk this one up to just 1 bad experience over the last 4 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You spend a bunch of time at the course, did you recognize that guy?

Did not recognize him... but to be fair I am really bad at remembering names and faces. Tough thing for me. I'm usually there either at sunrise or dusk due to my schedule so I don't get to know very many people.

I wouldn't drop my membership based off of one person. Sounds like everyone else that works there was on your side and was apologetic, and even gave you some free beverages.

Is this the first time you have had a bad experience like this at the course? If it is the first, I am not sure why you would want to drop your membership after one incident. Looks to me like the starter who told you to go ahead and the manager were trying to make up for the bad experience.

I'd guess to say all he really wanted to do was play through and hopefully having an off day. If the manager or owner made it right in the end then I'd chalk this one up to just 1 bad experience over the last 4 years.

Yeah, that's the odd part. If he had rolled up on us with something like "Hey, I'm by myself - mind if I play thru?" we would've gladly complied. And even if he didn't ask we would've noticed the single behind us and waved him up anyway. Not sure why he felt the need to crawl all over us.

I wouldn't drop my membership based off of one person. Sounds like everyone else that works there was on your side and was apologetic, and even gave you some free beverages.

Fair point. They are under new ownership this year. It might be worth talking w/ the new owner casually so he's aware (he's pretty visible at the club) and leaving it at that.

Has this type of thing happened before? It seems like everyone else at the course handled a difficult situation very well except for one nut job.

If you have had repeated problems then it might be time to move on, but if you are happy otherwise, this will most likely be a joke between you and your buddies on subsequent rounds.

Yeah, that's the odd part. If he had rolled up on us with something like "Hey, I'm by myself - mind if I play thru?" we would've gladly complied. And even if he didn't ask we would've noticed the single behind us and waved him up anyway. Not sure why he felt the need to crawl all over us.

Probably just a jerk that felt he was entitled to something cause he worked there.

That is not the appropriate action to take as an employee of the course. That is nowhere CLOSE to the action a non-working employee should take.

I'd encourage you to take it up with management as it's exactly what I'd do.

Has this type of thing happened before? It seems like everyone else at the course handled a difficult situation very well except for one nut job.

If you have had repeated problems then it might be time to move on, but if you are happy otherwise, this will most likely be a joke between you and your buddies on subsequent rounds.

No kidding, haha. We had a 9 hole moratorium on discussing this guy at all since we were all pretty fired up and didn't want it to ruin our round - but on the back 9, "I work here!!!" turned into a running gag.

You spend a bunch of time at the course, did you recognize that guy? I wouldn't pull a membership just because of that. However I would talk to the manger or owner if you'd like. I had something similar with a ranger at our course last year. Every ranger at the course knew me and that when I played as a solo, I could get around the course fast. One night I played the back 9 first and played in about 45 minutes. Got to the 1st tee and he came over to ask what I was doing and that carts needed to be in 60 minutes from then. Told him I was looking to play just a few, maybe 9 if time allowed and would drive in. Wasn't good enough for him. Long story short, got to the 9th(my 18th of night) with 15 minutes to go and he comes riding up and tells me that I need to pick up the pace if I want to get in. At that point I was pretty mad, and said listen I've just played 17 holes in under 90 minutes. If you hadn't stopped me on 1, I'd be done already. Besides there is a good chance I'm going to finish this hole and have everything packed in my car within 15 minutes. That ranger isn't back this year.

I didn't mention this in the original post: when we got to #4 the marshal (different guy than the starter) was waiting for us. He told us in a polite manner that as the first group off the tee we were the pace setters for the day and gently asked us to pick it up. I gently replied that we had about a 10 minute delay on hole #1 due to Mr. I Work Here and he quickly backed off.

We finished the round in 4 hours, 10 minutes.

Sounds like you handled it the right way. Sometimes there is just that one guy who thinks he owns the place, and you tee'd off before him. I wouldn't sweat it, the Manager probably took care of it correctly considering how she was apologizing so fast when you came in. Some guys just have bad days, and I'll leave it there. I'd bet she remembers you moving forward and it super nice to you though.

That dude was obviously a jerk, and if he was the PGA pro or something along those lines I might not want to continue to be a member, but it sounds like everyone at the course handled it as well as it could have been handled. I bet the jerk got a talkin too and it won't happen to you or anybody else again. I think I would be MORE likely to continue playing there based on the way the rest of the staff treated you.

Next time I had the chance, I'd talk to the manager and just ask who it was and if anything was done to ensure this behavior didn't occur again. The only thing I'd expect at this point is that either the employee altered his behavior or was terminated. Other than that, I'd chalk it up to extraordinarily poor behavior that was addressed by staff and not let it bother you again. Certainly no reason to drop a membership if it was addressed and is a first-time incident.

Back