2015 THP Invitational at Prairie Highlands - Kansas City Area

Big thanks to everyone in the KC area that helped make this event what it was. MikeD picked a great hotel and location to boot! 3 great golf courses that I would play every weekend if they were in my back yard. Congrats vman and rambler on the win! Heard from their playing partners mikeg and texashacker that they ham and egged it to perfection and were a great pairing. Appreciate the ball upgrades too on Sunday!!

Thanks to my travel mates afwcardinal, TBD, Jank and mikeg. Makes going to these events so so so much more fun having these guys from the early morning start to the late night finish in getting home.

I echo what Hawk said earlier, I tried to meet and greet all the newbies I could. If I didn't get you in a drive by sometime this weekend then I apologize!! I tried!

Last but not least it's time for the quick hit summary (brought to you by Under Armour Golf, proud sponsor of the soon to be number 1 golfer in the world :D):

- Thank you technology for allowing us to have GPS on our phones to get around unknown places. Thank you 1,000,000 times for that.

- Mr. 3 putt needs a name change and it needs to happen today. He is false advertising. Afwcardinal and I propose the BigSmooth. Make it happen.

- Jank is a better pop a shot and race car driver than I am according to Dave and Busters. But I was the better beer ponger. Coincidence, I think not!

- Rob (CAA Beats) has an awesome family. It was a pleasure meeting them and signing autographs.

- I enjoy hearing JB talk about golf equipment and feeling his excitement about things. It is awesome to see in person.

- afwcardinal is a trooper. Hurt elbow and all he battled through the weekend.

- Watching Seth figure out Periscope in under 10 minutes was a treat in itself. Start following this guy soon, he's found a new toy!

- Mikeg knows what it takes and when it's time to bring me back on a golf course. #DoubleVodkaCran = 6 pars to end a below average round on Sunday.

- Q39 and Okie(KC) Joes can do some BBQ. From this Texan to you, Well done Kansas City, well done.

- From this day forward J4U will always have a son that will have to look down on him to have a conversation with. It could be worse Doug.......:bashful:

- I love Zoysia fairways, I love Zoysia fairways, I love Zoysia fairways.......................

- I'm still trying to process the Open bet that was made between Jank and spivey. When Jank's player list has deceased golfers on it I have to pause.

- Takes a real man to check out in Target late Saturday night with only a jar of vaseline and baby power. #NoSelfCheckOut

- RANGEFINDER WAS FOUND!!!!! My faith in humanity is restored for now. #JanksFault

- When I grow up, I want to be like Iceyshanks. He's just that good at life.

- #TexasTrolls may be trending very soon.

Lastly, to the non Texas fellas I got to play with, Rick (Mr. 3 Putt but should change his name to Mr. BigSmooth), Rob (CAA Beats) Ken (4 time HOF'er :clapp:), Matt (woody) and Ryan (Nebgolfer) a big Thank You in putting up with me, my music choices and maybe a few stories from time to time. The pleasure was all mine boys.

I'm already coming back to the thread re-reading recaps. What a freaking great weekend!

JB, go ahead and book another event for KC. You can have my money, now.

- Takes a real man to check out in Target late Saturday night with only a jar of vaseline and baby power. #NoSelfCheckOut

Line of the day. You've got me rolling just thinking about this.

The bad thing about returning to work today is they don't allow fireball shots to ease the pain. Been a rough morning.
I will get back in here tonight for a little recap.
Fantastic weekend.
Just a heads up, if Taylor tells you you have to eat some place, and order this, just do it. Definitely knows what he's talking about.
Thanks Taylor. I could get used to KC BBQ full-time.

Long-winded recap from this epic weekend:

First of all, since I was wait listed for this event, I am grateful to whoever dropped out giving me a chance to make this awesome event. I hope the withdrawal was not for any serious reason.

Friday started off nice and early as I had a long drive to the airport to meet MikeG and head over to KC. The flight itself was uneventful, but we were rushing to get through baggage claim and hop in the rental to make it over to Deer Creek just a hair before the tee time. I did not have too much time to catch up with some old and new friends before Friday's round, but it was great seeing everyone there! I was able to get out with Afwcardinal (Eddie), Nate (Nate), and MrSandbag3putt (Rick) for Friday's round. We all played pretty well that day, but Rick was absolutely on fire throughout the front nine. We got through the first 15 holes without issue, but we hurried like crazy to get the last three holes in before the impending storm. The course was in fantastic shape, and I only had to hit driver a few times, which was alright by me. Afterwards, we headed over to the hotel to check-in, shower up, and get ready for D&B. Once we arrived at D&B I met a handful of new people, and then the games began! After a few round of drinks, basketball, racing, and some beer pong arcade game, we found ourselves at the bar to end our time at D&B over a few more libations. Not sure how Coers found a racecar that only goes 135 mph, but he managed to get lapped in an 8-lap race on a short track. Impressive. There was only one other way to end the epic night: J in the B (although a nice Dennys would have been better). Me, Nate, Jman, Mike, and Eddie meandered to the nearest JitB for some breakfast for dinner, monster taco, munchie box, and teriyaki bowl (smh) madness.

Saturday began with b-fast at the hotel and we were off to the course! Hit a few range balls and demolished Nate for quarters on the putting green and I was ready to go. I had the privilege to be paired with TexasBrons (Glenn) and were playing with ChuckBerg86 (Chuck) and Sleuth (Mike). Glenn and I started off on fire the first few holes, and I really thought we had a chance. Then the rest of the front 9 brought us back to reality, unfortunately. I really enjoyed the round Saturday and I would not hesitate to play with any of yall again! Also, congrats to VMan and Rambler on lapping the field! A quick shower, nap, and pregame after the round before dinner. We arrive at dinner to a nice room full of great people and great food. Everything was really good, except maybe the mayo-based potato salad, but that’s neither here nor there. The burnt ends, brisket, and turkey were phenomenal, but I thought the baked beans were out of this world. By far the best baked beans I’ve had. We had a slight #TexasTroll session after dinner, which should now become a customary thing after every THP event.

Saturday after dinner was a nice trail of debauchery and poor mapping, but it was still epic. We went out looking for real beer and some “other things” to get us through the weekend. Nate proceeds to make a new friend, Larry the liquor store worker, and then stands him up. Someone (not pointing any fingers) ends up crop dusting the entire liquor store and we had to evacuate and head to Target so Nate could buy some things for his baby at home. We head to the after party across the hall once we get back and the negotiations really began between Spivey and myself on the Open Championship this week. Thanks for serving as my moderator, Nate, and I think you got me about 5 more players than I would not have had, otherwise. For those wondering at home, the bet is official, and my roster is as follows (more or less):

Spoiler
FirstLast
KiradechAphibarnrat
AlisterBalcombe (a)
SeveBallesteros
GaryBoyd
DanielBrooks
PaulCasey
AshleyChesters (a)
JohnDaly
LauraDavies
GrahamDelaet
RobertDinwiddie
LukeDonald
Sir NickFaldo
TonyFinau
RossFisher
TommyFleetwood
Prince Charles
Paulina
George
Gretzky
Tyrrell
Hatton
DavidHowell
AnthonyKim
PaulKinnear (a)
DannyLee
Prince GeorgeLouis
Prince WilliamLouis
Queen ElizabethMary
RoryMcIlroy
CatherineMiddleton
JamesMorrison
Prince PhillipMountbatten
JackNicklaus
GregOwen
ArnoldPalmer
EddiePepperell
IanPoulter
JustinRose
JordanSpieth
HollySonders
AnnikaSorenstam
AndySullivan
BenTaylor (a)
LeeTreviño
AnthonyWall
TomWatson
LeeWestwood
DannyWillett
TigerWoods
IanWoosnam
MarkYoung

We headed to the course Sunday and I was in a group with TBD, TBD’s friend Mark, and Woody (Matt). We hacked it around the course that day, but it seemed like fatigue was starting to settle in. We could not get anything serious going on the course as we did not card one birdie as a group. I had a great time during the round, though, and I absolutely enjoyed Shoal Creek even though Rick hustled me into giving him 2 a side and winning a drink from me. After the round, we cleaned up and headed out for dinner and to kill a lot of time after the round. After a quick detour and with Chappell’s being closed Sunday, we found our way to BWW for food, drinks, and to catch the last round of the John Deere with Mike, Eddie, Nate, and Ken. Everyone on THP can thank Jordan Spieth for delaying the creation of The Official Tom Gillis Thread, but it will happen. After the long check-in to the KC airport, we were on our way home and thus ending an epic weekend!

Thanks again to Kyle, Mike, MD, JB, GG, Taylor, and anyone else who had a hand in putting together a fantastic weekend for everyone to enjoy. Sorry if I missed anyone in my recap and I look forward to my next event where I can meet even more new peeps!

Last edited:
- How Taylor can forget that monstrosity he calls a wallet is beyond me

Something like this?

Costanza-wallet.jpg

Something like this?

Costanza-wallet.jpg

Not even close. Think torn and ratted Trapper keeper made of leather and some sort of material that resembles cloth at one point

First of all, since I was wait listed for this event, I am grateful to whoever dropped out giving me a chance to make this awesome event. I hope the withdrawal was not for any serious reason.

Friday started off nice and early as I had a long drive to the airport to meet MikeG and head over to KC. The flight itself was uneventful, but we were rushing to get through baggage claim and hop in the rental to make it over to Deer Creek just a hair before the tee time. I did not have too much time to catch up with some old and new friends before Friday's round, but it was great seeing everyone there! I was able to get out with Afwcardinal (Eddie), Nate (Nate), and MrSandbag3putt (Rick) for Friday's round. We all played pretty well that day, but Rick was absolutely on fire throughout the front nine. We got through the first 15 holes without issue, but we hurried like crazy to get the last three holes in before the impending storm. The course was in fantastic shape, and I only had to hit driver a few times, which was alright by me. Afterwards, we headed over to the hotel to check-in, shower up, and get ready for D&B. Once we arrived at D&B I met a handful of new people, and then the games began! After a few round of drinks, basketball, racing, and some beer pong arcade game, we found ourselves at the bar to end our time at D&B over a few more libations. Not sure how Coers found a racecar that only goes 135 mph, but he managed to get lapped in an 8-lap race on a short track. Impressive. There was only one other way to end the epic night: J in the B (although a nice Dennys would have been better). Me, Nate, Jman, Mike, and Eddie meandered to the nearest JitB for some breakfast for dinner, monster taco, munchie box, and teriyaki bowl (smh) madness.

Saturday began with b-fast at the hotel and we were off to the course! Hit a few range balls and demolished Nate for quarters on the putting green and I was ready to go. I had the privilege to be paired with TexasBrons (Glenn) and were playing with ChuckBerg86 (Chuck) and Sleuth (Mike). Glenn and I started off on fire the first few holes, and I really thought we had a chance. Then the rest of the front 9 brought us back to reality, unfortunately. I really enjoyed the round Saturday and I would not hesitate to play with any of yall again! Also, congrats to VMan and Rambler on lapping the field! A quick shower, nap, and pregame after the round before dinner. We arrive at dinner to a nice room full of great people and great food. Everything was really good, except maybe the mayo-based potato salad, but that’s neither here nor there. The burnt ends, brisket, and turkey were phenomenal, but I thought the baked beans were out of this world. By far the best baked beans I’ve had. We had a slight #TexasTroll session after dinner, which should now become a customary thing after every THP event.

Saturday after dinner was a nice trail of debauchery and poor mapping, but it was still epic. We went out looking for real beer and some “other things” to get us through the weekend. Nate proceeds to make a new friend, Larry the liquor store worker, and then stands him up. Someone (not pointing any fingers) ends up crop dusting the entire liquor store and we had to evacuate and head to Target so Nate could buy some things for his baby at home. We head to the after party across the hall once we get back and the negotiations really began between Spivey and myself on the Open Championship this week. Thanks for serving as my moderator, Nate, and I think you got me about 5 more players than I would not have had, otherwise. For those wondering at home, the bet is official, and my roster is as follows (more or less):

Spoiler
FirstLast
KiradechAphibarnrat
AlisterBalcombe (a)
SeveBallesteros
GaryBoyd
DanielBrooks
PaulCasey
AshleyChesters (a)
JohnDaly
LauraDavies
GrahamDelaet
RobertDinwiddie
LukeDonald
Sir NickFaldo
TonyFinau
RossFisher
TommyFleetwood
Prince CharlesGeorge
TyrrellHatton
DavidHowell
AnthonyKim
PaulKinnear (a)
DannyLee
Prince GeorgeLouis
Prince WilliamLouis
Queen ElizabethMary
RoryMcIlroy
CatherineMiddleton
JamesMorrison
JackNicklaus
GregOwen
ArnoldPalmer
EddiePepperell
IanPoulter
JustinRose
JordanSpieth
HollySonders
AnnikaSorenstam
AndySullivan
BenTaylor (a)
LeeTreviño
AnthonyWall
TomWatson
LeeWestwood
DannyWillett
TigerWoods
IanWoosnam
MarkYoung

We headed to the course Sunday and I was in a group with TBD, TBD’s friend Mark, and Woody (Matt). We hacked it around the course that day, but it seemed like fatigue was starting to settle in. We could not get anything serious going on the course as we did not card one birdie as a group. I had a great time during the round, though, and I absolutely enjoyed Shoal Creek even though Rick hustled me into giving him 2 a side and winning a drink from me. After the round, we cleaned up and headed out for dinner and to kill a lot of time after the round. After a quick detour and with Chappell’s being closed Sunday, we found our way to BWW for food, drinks, and to catch the last round of the John Deere with Mike, Eddie, Nate, and Ken. Everyone on THP can thank Jordan Spieth for delaying the creation of The Official Tom Gillis Thread, but it will happen. After the long check-in to the KC airport, we were on our way home and thus ending an epic weekend!

Thanks again to Kyle, Mike, MD, JB, GG, Taylor, and anyone else who had a hand in putting together a fantastic weekend for everyone to enjoy. Sorry if I missed anyone in my recap and I look forward to my next event where I can meet even more new peeps!
Reading the list of players you get had me tearing up. Glad to hear it is official, I like Jack's chances to win another one!

Reading the list of players you get had me tearing up. Glad to hear it is official, I like Jack's chances to win another one!

I forgot Paulina, so I had to edit to make it official. I almost negotiated Oosthuizen on Sunday morning, but he would have cost me too much. If he ends up winning, I will not be a happy THPer.

What a great weekend! Thanks to THP, and Bridgestone for a great event! Special shout out to JB, Morgan, Mike and Taylor for hooking us all up. It was great to finally put a face with the names I've got to know here. For those of you that I didn't get a chance to say hello to, I apologize, next time for sure...as this won't be my last event.

Wow, night and day difference in golf from my round at Deer Creek on Friday and Prairie Highlands on Saturday. It was great to tee it up with J4U, Rambler and wubears71 at Deer Creek. I know that I got my money's worth with all of the course that I saw! I had a blast teeing it up with these three guys. I'm confident that the other three in my group kicked the crap out of me, and it was good that there way no money on the line, or I would have left with empty pockets. We didn't get to finish 18, which sucks because I'm confident I would have holed out for an eagle. Ok, no not really...but a guy can dream. Technically, we all DNF'd that round, but I was staring a low 90's score right in eyes. It was a BLAST, but the score was not. I found out that my cart partner, my good pal J4U likes to pair his phone to his chucks, then take his phone in his pocket to his ball....this makes the music have issues, but I also found out it's got a good range to stay paired, too. Rambler and I should have probably been in the same cart, it seemed like he and I were in the same area's a lot looking for our ball. Wubears should be playing basketball, and he hits the ball a mile. On 18, we thought he carried the creek off the tee, but he just barely rolled it into the creek, that was still a heck of a shot off the tee!

Saturday
Got a chance to meet a bunch of you, and I apologize ahead of time that the next time we meet, I'll 100% recognize your face, but most likely won't remember your name, that's just me. However, I expect you to remember my name....KIDDING!
I was nervous to play the round, I'm not going to lie. After the round I had the day before, I wasn't sure what was going to show up. Warming up on the driving range didn't help that feeling either. Though my wedges were feeling good and my driver, so in hindsight, that was a good sign of things to come. Teeing off in front of a large group is never easy, no matter how many times you've done that. It's always a guess for me as to which swing will show up in a situation like that. Thankfully, I was able to find the fairway up the right side leaving my a small wedge into the green, and we were off.
It was great to get to know my partner, MikeJB30. I look forward to teeing it up with him (and Erky) in the future. Mike's a great guy, and if he was nervous, he didn't show it. It was great to be able to work back and forth with him during the round.
I've been looking forward to teeing it up with Jman for a while. He's such a great guy and fun to be around. I had a blast talking about the Grandaddy, and just getting to know him. Threeboysdad, it was great getting to know you as well! Having now got the chance to meet a bunch of the DFW crew, it really makes me want to get down there and tee it up with you all when I get the chance!

As for the course. Cart path only sucks, but we all knew that. For me, it had been at least 8 to 10 years since I've played there, so you might as well have said I never have. I've always enjoyed Prairie Highlands though, so I was looking forward to playing. It was like a switch flipped from yesterday to today. I was hitting most of my fairways, and if I was missing, I didn't miss by much (except for #2, #13 and 18). My wedges were pretty dialed in and for the most part I was putting well. Hole of the day for me was the short par 4, 6th. I took a three wood off the tee and just missed a few feet left of the fairway, but was on a side hill lie out of the rough. Mike was about 30 yards back, just behind the 150 marker but in the fairway. So, we decided to take his due to the better shot from the fairway. It was downhill, but into the wind. I took an easy 8 iron and the wind knocked it down and I left it just short on the fringe right in the middle of the green. So, I'm laying 2 and have a downhill, right to left chip and I holed it out for birdie. Ended up shooting a 1 under 35 on the front probably because Jman and Threeboysdad talking me out of going for the green in two on #9. Then on the back, I had a few bogeys a bunch of pars and ended up shooting a 2 over 74 for the day. Easily the best round of golf I've had in competition in a few years.

What can I say about KC Joes. When I saw there was bunt ends, I joking asked the ladies if that was my plate and if they were going to bring out another for you all. They said I had to share, so you guys got lucky. I knew a few of you maybe have never had burnt ends, but I KNOW you'll all want to have them again! KC Joes makes some of the best in the world. It was great catching up with some of the other THP'ers that I have met and played some rounds with before. This was a great event, and I hope we can continue to have one in KC every year, or at least rotationally.

I'll remember this event for years to come! Can't wait to tee it up with you all again, really soon!

James

AKA. Agent Jay

- I enjoy hearing JB talk about golf equipment and feeling his excitement about things. It is awesome to see in person.

- When I grow up, I want to be like Iceyshanks. He's just that good at life.

That's too funny, I always tell people I want to be like you!!! Love you buddy.

Also, I love Josh's comedy and wit, he knows how to take the edge/nerves off a tee shot at a THP event, he always has a good one liner to break the ice/tension a bit and get people laughing. You can tell about his passion for Golf, THP and THPers just by talking to him once. (Sorry I scared you on the 4th green Josh!)

couldn't leave KC without one more taste of BBQ today Q39

Burnt end sandwich

5ed6734ed4606cea5b969c6c52b776c2.jpg

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

As I was heading back to St. Louis, I stopped in Independence, MO at this little joint for my last fix of real BBQ - http://www.alittlebarbqjoint.com/. I had a full slab of ribs, fries, burnt ends and baked beans. It was awesome. I'm just now having my next meal 24 hours later.

- I love Zoysia fairways, I love Zoysia fairways, I love Zoysia fairways.......................

I just like that word ???

Spoiler
FirstLast
KiradechAphibarnrat
AlisterBalcombe (a)
SeveBallesteros
GaryBoyd
DanielBrooks
PaulCasey
AshleyChesters (a)
JohnDaly
LauraDavies
GrahamDelaet
RobertDinwiddie
LukeDonald
Sir NickFaldo
TonyFinau
RossFisher
TommyFleetwood
Prince Charles
Paulina
George
Gretzky
TyrrellHatton
DavidHowell
AnthonyKim
PaulKinnear (a)
DannyLee
Prince GeorgeLouis
Prince WilliamLouis
Queen ElizabethMary
RoryMcIlroy
CatherineMiddleton
JamesMorrison
JackNicklaus
GregOwen
ArnoldPalmer
EddiePepperell
IanPoulter
JustinRose
JordanSpieth
HollySonders
AnnikaSorenstam
AndySullivan
BenTaylor (a)
LeeTreviño
AnthonyWall
TomWatson
LeeWestwood
DannyWillett
TigerWoods
IanWoosnam
MarkYoung

If I had remembered Dimwiddie was English, the odds would have gone up.
You are a fine negotiator, that is a solid bet right there!!

My full recap will be either tonight or tomorrow - there is a large bees nest at work today!!

If I had remembered Dimwiddie was English, the odds would have gone up.
You are a fine negotiator, that is a solid bet right there!!

My full recap will be either tonight or tomorrow - there is a large bees nest at work today!!

Turns out Tony Finau is not in the field, so I should get Oosthuizen and Tom Morris thrown in for free.

Turns out Tony Finau is not in the field, so I should get Oosthuizen and Tom Morris thrown in for free.
You got Kate Middleton, Holly and Paulina, what else do you need? ;o)
Tom Morris ftw! (The young one, not the old one)

Little separate shout out to TexasHacker, Taylor. He did a lot of Q&A for me on this trip and pointed me in the right direction upon arrival. From the range at Tiffany's Greens to the Q39 lunch to the expert golf advise on each hole Sunday, he stepped right up. Taylor is a good seed and someone I can call a good friend. He works hard and wants the American dream. Love to see that drive in this young American. Keep it up Taylor!

Great choice Rob! Q39 is incredible
oh man. no kidding Taylor. The sandwich was incredible. also I love the ketchup they have. it has a bit of a kick too it.

Little separate shout out to TexasHacker, Taylor. He did a lot of Q&A for me on this trip and pointed me in the right direction upon arrival. From the range at Tiffany's Greens to the Q39 lunch to the expert golf advise on each hole Sunday, he stepped right up. Taylor is a good seed and someone I can call a good friend. He works hard and wants the American dream. Love to see that drive in this young American. Keep it up Taylor!
Taylor definitely gave you some great info. Very glad I got to tag along on Friday. Tiffany's Greens was a perfect place to warm up Friday. And Q39, we need one of those down here. Very impressed.
oh man. no kidding Taylor. The sandwich was incredible. also I love the ketchup they have. it has a bit of a kick too it.

They had ketchup? With a kick? That would have been perfect with the strings. Not like Nate didn't almost have to roll me out of there like an umpa lumpa anyway.

Taylor definitely gave you some great info. Very glad I got to tag along on Friday. Tiffany's Greens was a perfect place to warm up Friday. And Q39, we need one of those down here. Very impressed.

They had ketchup? With a kick? That would have been perfect with the strings. Not like Nate didn't almost have to roll me out of there like an umpa lumpa anyway.

You mean these strings??

45d4b2025fc61218cda5f628adc42883.jpg

You mean these strings??

45d4b2025fc61218cda5f628adc42883.jpg
I almost went that route. But I thought it best not to go into a food coma before my flight tonight. ha

Last edited:
Back