2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will be more on the "conditioning" side of the S&C scale.

"Supposedly" adds some good flexibility too. I'll read more info on it, outside of just ONNIT's marketing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Supposedly" adds some good flexibility too. I'll read more info on it, outside of just ONNIT's marketing.

I can see that.

Got done training.

Squats, worked up to a heavy single then a back off set of five. Presses, two work sets of 3 then a back off set of 5. weighted chins, three sets of five.

I had planned for a nice relaxing rest day. Unbeknownst to me, my wife was planning for furniture to get moved. Mind you, she hadn't planned to move furniture. She had planned for furniture to be moved. You see where this is going.

Worst. Post-leg-day. Ever.

Friday Night (white) Lights

Hey all, just getting reaquainted with the forum after sometime off.

I recently got involved with cycling and got to about 35 miles on a weekend ride. I had lost about 30 lbs, then my knee went to hell and my job hours followed, so I've put it all back on. Now that things are calming down, I'm back on the bandwagon. I have a big number as a goal but small steps planned along the way.

Right now I'm in the gym 3-4 times a week, twice a week with a great trainer who helps me avoid exacerbating the knee. Also now that it is warmer, I try to get a recuperative swim in 2-3 times a week. Right now I'm at 25 laps with resistance fins.

Now I just need to get my eating back in order and I expect the pounds to really start to drop off. I'll be checking in with my doc and getting a full prognosis for me knee and adding that to my fitness goals.

Of all the things I've accomplished in my life, this is *the* *one* *thing* I truly struggle with.

Wish me luck.

I recently got involved with cycling and got to about 35 miles on a weekend ride. I had lost about 30 lbs, then my knee went to hell and my job hours followed, so I've put it all back on. Now that things are calming down, I'm back on the bandwagon. I have a big number as a goal but small steps planned along the way.

Right now I'm in the gym 3-4 times a week, twice a week with a great trainer who helps me avoid exacerbating the knee. Also now that it is warmer, I try to get a recuperative swim in 2-3 times a week. Right now I'm at 25 laps with resistance fins.

Now I just need to get my eating back in order and I expect the pounds to really start to drop off. I'll be checking in with my doc and getting a full prognosis for me knee and adding that to my fitness goals.

Of all the things I've accomplished in my life, this is *the* *one* *thing* I truly struggle with.

Wish me luck.
Good to see you back D. Good luck. Stay dedicated. you're on a lifelong plan now. Be happy. Be happy. Live long.

Wish me luck.

c6144b06dc47065c04e307ec91d9ca30.450x291x38.gif

Hello everybody - My first post in this thread. I've got to do something about my weight and have decided to get serious. Short story of me - was always thin and in naturally decent shape, think "runners build" or skinny, until getting my first desk job. Slowly put on weight and weight and more weight, but stayed at worst in the 205 lb. range. Got motivated 8 years ago and went on a 1 year workout binge and dropped down to 185 lbs. Mostly circuit training at a gym and treadmill running with some cycling added in. Eventually stopped going to the gym, but kept cycling until I had a crash/injury. Have been reluctant to get back on the bike ever since. Slowly put the weight I lost back on but even more and have gotten as heavy as 223 lbs. The last month I've tried to be somewhat better about what I eat and got back to 218 lbs. Have finally had enough and want to drop this weight again. I'm 47 and will be 48 in November so I know now is the time or it likely won't come off later.

Started exercise this week with short term goal of dropping 15 lbs in the next 2 months. With my age and recent history of inactivity am starting slowly. Did two jog/runs this week - 1.25 mile slow jog with 2.25 mile walk. Also walked 9 holes, 13 holes and 18 holes this week.

I need some advice on some things I can do at home to work on my upper body. Maybe some simple gentle calisthenics. I don't really want to join a gym as I don't have the time, and don't have any equipment at home. Any suggestions?

Hello everybody - My first post in this thread. I've got to do something about my weight and have decided to get serious. Short story of me - was always thin and in naturally decent shape, think "runners build" or skinny, until getting my first desk job. Slowly put on weight and weight and more weight, but stayed at worst in the 205 lb. range. Got motivated 8 years ago and went on a 1 year workout binge and dropped down to 185 lbs. Mostly circuit training at a gym and treadmill running with some cycling added in. Eventually stopped going to the gym, but kept cycling until I had a crash/injury. Have been reluctant to get back on the bike ever since. Slowly put the weight I lost back on but even more and have gotten as heavy as 223 lbs. The last month I've tried to be somewhat better about what I eat and got back to 218 lbs. Have finally had enough and want to drop this weight again. I'm 47 and will be 48 in November so I know now is the time or it likely won't come off later.

Started exercise this week with short term goal of dropping 15 lbs in the next 2 months. With my age and recent history of inactivity am starting slowly. Did two jog/runs this week - 1.25 mile slow jog with 2.25 mile walk. Also walked 9 holes, 13 holes and 18 holes this week.

I need some advice on some things I can do at home to work on my upper body. Maybe some simple gentle calisthenics. I don't really want to join a gym as I don't have the time, and don't have any equipment at home. Any suggestions?

You might try looking up some body weight exercises on you tube. I find that these exercises are very good and much easier on the body than some others. Most require no equipment. Walking is about as good an exercise one can do as they get older. Push-ups would seem to be an obvious strength builder for the upper body.

Last edited:
I just ate a cup and a half of Heath Bar popcorn.....

I just ate a cup and a half of Heath Bar popcorn.....

I had Ahi tuna and a side salad for lunch.

Then 6 mint oreos 30 minutes later.

2015 Fitness and Weight-loss Thread

2015 Fitness and Weight-loss Thread

I had Ahi tuna and a side salad for lunch.

Then 6 mint oreos 30 minutes later.

The best thing you can work out for (if you're already in decent shape) is the ability to eat stuff you enjoy without feeling bad about it.

Edit: just my personal opinion, of course.

The best thing you can work out for (if you're already in decent shape) is the ability to eat stuff you enjoy without feeling bad about it.

Edit: just my personal opinion, of course.

Guilt free eating is a benefit of working out.

I do like particularly hard afternoon training. then dinner is "I'll take one of each."

Any other runners out there? Official training for my seventh marathon begins tomorrow and I have a huge number of miles on my training schedule for the next 20 weeks

Any other runners out there? Official training for my seventh marathon begins tomorrow and I have a huge number of miles on my training schedule for the next 20 weeks

I run quite a bit, but not marathon prep mileage. I log around 20-25 miles a week with a couple days off.

Now that KC is past me and I've digested 2 full slabs of ribs, a few pounds of Burt ends and hundreds of fries it's time to start getting back into my regular 5 day a week workout routine to drop 20 lbs.

Today I did chest and biceps in the weight room and ran 2 miles outside. Day 1 is in the books.

I'm training tonight. since it's Monday, that means squats and deads!

Let's chalk about deadlifts...

cddacefcef2db64106298c63586f40d0.jpg

...see what I did there?

Didn't have chalk in South Carolina and somehow survived. These days I really only use it for working with rings and cleaning.

I use it for everything. Presses, cleans, snatches, squats. Everything. I love it.

I'm down 5.5 lbs in the first week of trying to get this weight off. Real happy with that. I know that it will slow down soon though. Might get one more week with a big drop. I'm content to lose it slow once that happens. In traveling this week so eating poorly is always tempting. Did very good yesterday though. Have gone 8 days now without a beer or alcoholic drink. Would like to go at last 2 or 3 weeks without one, then slowly adding a couple a week back.

On a serious note, curls in the squat rack are a grievous offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back