Golf telecast, what do you prefer?

Not sure what the Open coverage had been like on the BBC this year: I know I've said this before, but I always hanker back to the BBC coverage of golf back in the 80's when they broadcast more than one or two competitions a year. You got to see nearly every shot played on the course, if a big cheer was heard in the background when showing one shot they showed the shot that generated that cheer within a minute or so.

I must admit that the Masters coverage frustrates me as they seem to concentrate on a few of the leading groups and only show the exceptional shots of some of the other players. One year I was watching and had to ask if Rory had withdrawn from the final round as he wasn't setting the field alight and they hadn't shown a single shot he played within the last hour. I want to see less coverage of players walking down the fairway towards their ball, or spending 5 minutes deciding what shot they're going to make, and more coverage of the shots being played right throughout the field.

Head to the UK and I think many will find their perfect coverage. The commentary might be a little chintzy for US audiences, but you see a tonne of golf. Not just the leaders. Not just the putts. As much golf as they can physically cram in.

Love: shot tracer, minimal commercials
Dislike: the same commercials running during breaks (see Rory's "Hall of Fame" watch commercial during the Masters)

Great question and something I was kind of thinking about after watching this morning's "The Open" coverage. I really think golf coverage needs more "Color Commentators" like David Feherty and Gary McCord.
Watching this AM was bland, almost monotone with no excitement. With the wind noise in the background it reminded me of white noise. I keep finding my mind wondering away with nothing keeping my attention.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I just realized Paul Azinger sounds EXACTLY like Bill Paxton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holy crap you're right.

I can't get that out of my head now.

b2zNdTz.png

I love the broadcasts without commercials for the Masters.... but that's an abnormality.

I really don't have a preference on who's doing the broadcasting or announcing. I really don't tend to listen to the announcers much anyway. It's more of a just veg and watch or glance over while I'm watching late at night while I'm putting or whatever in my living room.

That's hilarious! I couldn't quite put my finger on it but I knew he sounded like someone I've heard before.

I don't think I've ever witnessed a telecast thst appealed to the masses. There is alwayssomething wrong with the telecast. Too much of one player, too many commericals, bad annoucers, poor camera work or bad interviews.

I wonder what would make a great broadcast? What would you do to make it better and appeal to everyone from average joe to Joe golfer. What does a great telecast need?

Something like here when all the on air guys were on strike and they broadcast a whole football game with nothing more than the stadium pa announcements. (incidentally they got their highest ever viewership ratings that game.)

Show me all the good golf no matter who it is and where it is. I could care less who is warming up or who is in the parking lot, show me golf. While your at it shorten rounds to 4 hours max.

Show more variety of golfers on the course.
Breakdown more swings
More shot tracer
More Collin Montgomery with a mic
Keep Fherety and McCord
A little sex appeal.
Less Faldo
Less driving range warm up's
Less golfers in the parking lot.

I have to say that the British coverage of The Open Championship has bee superb. Both video and radio look and sound magnificent; much better than the coverage in the States. I work in media so I work odd hours that haven't allowed me to follow the tournament on ESPN, but as I was driving on Friday; the British @theopen radio coverage had me tearing up with their description of Tom Watson's last Open round.

Fox coverage of the US Open was okay. Maybe they will grow into it. I just hope that Fox doesn't get too into their own technology as they do with MLB and NASCAR coverage.

The Masters had great coverage. CBS Sports is a great organization. Their coverage is usually top notch no matter what sport they are covering.

Peter Alliss definitely.

I'm loving the increased usage of protracer technology. Now it's on most tee shots and even some second shots. I love to see their ball flight.

Announcers like Mike Tirico and throw in Curt Byrum. Try to work Jerry Foltz into the PGA coverage. No Rich Lerner, Johnny Miller and Nick Faldo.. More Peter Jacobsen, Lanny Wadkins and Scott VanPelt.

Back