bathtub.gin

Reaction score
Handicap
Im sure this was already answered. But I am a midhand golfer using x tours 4-PW. Trying to find something to gap my driver which I drive well. About 250 yards. Only have money for one. Trying to decide on a wood 3or 5 or hybrid 2-3 . I currently have an old hogan wood which I can hit further with about anythin . Lol. Looking at callaway ftiz 3 wood or ping rapture 21 deg hybrid. Found both on clist for about 40 bucks each. Or looking at Cleveland mashie in the 3 need some advice on what to do

As a general rule, if lengths and lofts were the same, the fairway wood would be more forgiving. However that being said, every golfer will be different. Some prefer the hybrids in terms of swinging like an iron, etc.

Ok. Great points. Leaning toward wood because the courses I go to are pretty much fairway . Nothing to cabbagey. One of my fav courses is all par 3 so trying to shorten my drive distance when I'm there without changing my swing. I use a 9* greatest Bertha. Hope to upgrade soon lol. Like the idea of both clubs. Looked at hybrid iron sets but couldn't pass up the x tours for 75 bucks. I'm new to the game this year but put in hours and hours my handi is dropping fast.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I've carried as many as 4 hybrids at one time in recent years, but right now I'm with zero and two woods. Might add a hybrid again at some point as I've great luck with them, I just like the distance and the ball flight right now with my XR woods.

I find it easier to hit hybrids more consistently from the deck and woods better off the tee.

I like them all across the board. And I've recently found utility irons to be fun to game as well. But for the original question. FW are much more consistent for me.

What about the Cleveland 3mashie. Love the classic look its cheaper. Little iron little wood. True hybrid in my mind. Anyone like them

What about the Cleveland 3mashie. Love the classic look its cheaper. Little iron little wood. True hybrid in my mind. Anyone like them

The mashie is a great club....one that I sometimes wish I would have kept

20.5 Mashie is one club that will not be leaving my bag any time soon. Such a great club for me very reliable and stupid easy to hit. I really should use it more often...

The Mashie fairways and hybrids are both money.

You could consider the modern Heavenwood. I want that club but it sits between my 5 wood and 3 hybo. If I had it to do over again, I might go Heavenwood instead.

The Mashie fairways and hybrids are both money.
You can probably find an F5 for pretty cheap these days. I payed very little for mine a couple years ago. It might be my favorite club in the bag.

Maybe check out a 4 wood... should give you some good distance with more forgiveness than the 3w.. OR I would recommend a 2 hybrid. Probably more versatile and maybe even a little more forgiving than a longer shafted fw wood. I moved to a 915h 21*, but I have a 17* Anser hybrid and it really gets the ball out there and is great from almost any lie.

I have an ft optiforce 4 wood which can be had used pretty cheap online. Good compromise if you are only looking to carry one wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've gone through a number of different 3/4 hybrids and never hit any of them well, or had any confidence in them. I switched out to an X2Hot 5 wood earlier this season, and within 1 round it became one of my favorite clubs in my bag. So easy to hit straight for me. That being said, a good friend goes straight from driver to 3 hybrid, as he can't hit a fairway wood to save his life. So a lot of it is dependent on the golfer.

I personally carry Driver (250/260yds), 2 Hybrid (215/220 yds) and 4i (195yds) downwards. I love the shorter shafted and more flexible nature of the hybrid, plus it's great out of the short rough too. I only carry 13 clubs atm so I've been tempted to switch out the hybrid for two alternatives but rarely find a position on the course where I want to go into a green further than 220.

As others have said, it's all very personal. Ideally you want this club to be your go to "safety" club, whether its a safer tee option on the day your driver is spraying left and right or the club which gets you back into that par five after a poor start, so pick something which gives you the most confidence and consistency, not the one which gives you that perfect shot every now and again.

I been experimenting with my 3/4 hybrids as of late. When I first got them with my new set a couple years ago I spent great efforts and time and even lessons after finally realizing (at that time) why was I was wasting my time (and half my summer golf season) trying to hit them well when I was already pretty "ok" with my 5wood and 4iron (at the time). So I put them aside and havnt used them since.

Fast forward to recent days and after swing changes since then. I most recently took out my 3 hyb (which is basically brand new) and a match set with my cobra amp irons. Hit it well the few times I had the opportunity to play it. Took my 3/4 hybs to the range yesterday and man I was htting these things totally different from when I struggled with them a couple years ago. My swing changes have me hitting nicely down on my irons and its been so much for the better and purer ball striking and using the same swing I blasted both these 3/4hybs at the range a country mile and straight with very many balls shot after shot. I was like wow! and really impressed considering how I had to take them out of my bag couple years back for lack of even being able to hit one good shot with them.

I was so impressed and hit them so well far and straight with so many balls that I am going to put them back in again and remove the 5wood and 4iron as was the case I attempted to be in a couple years back. I been struggling with my 5w off the deck and at the range last night I seemed to got that back on track too but the struggles is why I began to even try my 3hyb again. Only my very best 5wood hits were any longer then my 3hyb but not by a whole lot but the amount of sweatspot and/or better hits I made with the 3hyb was more often so I think the change is worth it even if I fixed my 5wood swing some. As for the 4hyb, I was hitting that as far as my 4iron but hitting it better more often as well.

So I am going with this old (but new lol) set up of Driver, 3wood, 3hyb, 4hyb, than 5i and everything following suit afterwards. At least for now as I see how things go on the course the 5wood and 4iron will sit out. Although I have to say it did feel very good to hit my 5wood well again as it always was a fav of mine. And just perhaps that 5w yardage may be missed in a given scenario, but if i hit the 3hyb better more often it would probably prove more beneficial to my game when all said and done anyway. Plus there is always the option of 2hybrib (or a 3 with a lower loft) if I do find I want that 5w distance more often. But I don't think that will be the case enough times to justify it. But we'll see how this goes for a few rounds first. Of course assuming I do go out and continue to hit well. After all if/when we don't execute none of it means much lol

I love the mashie clubs, also. Recently, I bought a Cobra amp cell 3-4 wood. It is adjustable for a 3+,3, 4+, or 4 wood. It has different face settings , too. There are newer clubs out there, but this one is like new for $40 +shipping.

Jack

Definitely prefer the hybrid to a fairway. Easier to make solid contact.

Give me the size of a fairway wood anyway of the week.

Im sure this was already answered. But I am a midhand golfer using x tours 4-PW. Trying to find something to gap my driver which I drive well. About 250 yards. Only have money for one. Trying to decide on a wood 3or 5 or hybrid 2-3 . I currently have an old hogan wood which I can hit further with about anythin . Lol. Looking at callaway ftiz 3 wood or ping rapture 21 deg hybrid. Found both on clist for about 40 bucks each. Or looking at Cleveland mashie in the 3 need some advice on what to do

Have you made up your mind? I have a 3w and 4h laying in my garage I'd be willing to send your way. They are older but they will give you an idea of what you like better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No I haven't decided. Just got my irons back from new shafts and played a round Saturday. Couple times felt like a hybrid would be useful and couple time a wood would have been used. Par 5 and shorter par 4s. At jspangs. Yeah that would be aweaome as the nearest golf anything that I can try clubs is 4+ hours away.

Back