Golf Shoe question

williaza

Reaction score
Handicap
Im going to ask another question to all since I have gotten so much great feedback from the prior 2. Like I've said im a newbie (started from scratch this past April) I have gotten serious and really enjoy the game. I initially bought the cheapest Nike spikeless shoes that I found in Dicks.

I am now looking to upgrade my footwear and wanted to ask peoples opinions on spikeless vs soft spike? Also i have been told by a few older guys at my club that you should always buy golf cleats one size big..any thoughts on this?

Complete personal preference as far as spike types go. I find most shoes run pretty true to size these days

To answer the first question, it is really personal preference. I have "a few" pairs of golf shoes and wear both types frequently.

To the second question I disagree, but that is completely dependent on the shoe and how their sizing runs.

Friend of mine wears spikeless and sometimes has trouble with his footing when the grass is wet, so keep that in mind.

I prefer spikeless but its all personal preference. Id just try a ton on and see what feels comfortable. I definitely WOULD NOT own a pair of golf shoes if they weren't comfortable. That's key for me

I prefer soft spikes and would disagree on the sizing. I am size 12 in both and they are comfy. If anything you want them a little tighter then your normal street show IMO. You don't want to swing out your shoes

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

The choice is preference by the person. I buy shoes that are usually same size as my sneakers. Some may vary by 1/2 a size but that varies by brand

I almost always wear spikeless, I like that I can put them on at home and wear them to the course, it is very convenient for me.

I wore soft spikes for a long time, when the last pair started talking to me I got a pair of spikeless. And now I'm in love with them. I walk a lot so that was a big factor for me, I wanted some thing that was comfortable to walk in. I picked up a pair of FJ spikeless I'm very happy with them so far

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

I have never heard the 'buy golf cleats one size big' theory. I actually find several golf shoes already run ever so slightly big, so I either buy true to size (9 narrow) or 8.5 if the 9 narrow is not available.

Lots of people like spikeless, they say its more comfortable and they don't complain about loss of grip to the ground. I actually prefer spikes. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. I think it really just comes down to whatever is most comfortable on your foot.

~Rock

Spikeless versus soft spikes is pure personal preference. I have both and wear both, although recently I've been mainly wearing spikeless as I like the convenience of not having to change shoes.

I have both soft-spiked and spikeless and don't notice any difference in traction between the two. I put a fair amount of torque on my lower body and feel like I could tell if one was better than the other. As far as sizing, I look for the same fit as in street/dress shoes.

Give 'em hell!

I have "a few" pairs of golf shoes and wear both types frequently.

Would this qualify as one of the understatements of the year? I think so ! :laughing:

I prefer the soft spike shoes but it is definitely a personal preference.

I like either spikeless or soft spike. I will say the Nike FI impact are not very good on the course. I bought a pair of Adidas Crossflex spikeless and love them. I have had very little slippage on the turf. I also own a pair of Nike Tiger Woods soft spikes that i love. I think going soft spike or spikeless is personal choice. I would suggest having it least one soft spike shoe just in case the conditions are really nasty. As for sizing it all depends on the shoe.

To answer the first question, it is really personal preference. I have "a few" pairs of golf shoes and wear both types frequently.

To the second question I disagree, but that is completely dependent on the shoe and how their sizing runs.

I agree. I won't buy any shoes online. I have to try them on to be 100%. I'm spikeless 99% of the time now and only go with spikes when is is really wet. You want to own and carry both just in case.

I prefer my soft spikes to my spikeless and get the same size as my running shoes.

I prefer spiked shoes personally but have both. Now as for buying a size larger in the shoes that depends on the brand. I wear a 10.5/11 normally and wear a 10.5 wide in Nike and 11 in Adidas.

Depends on the weather. I find spikeless more comfortable and better for walking on hard surfaces. On wet days I prefer soft spikes. I have a very narrow foot and only Footjoy makes shoes I can wear. The spikeless are so easy on my feet and hips I am considering buying a couple of pairs for daily use.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I use both styles, spikes and spikeless. Honestly i prefer spikes, i just get more grip on the course, less shifting and it helps me.

I have both soft spikes and spikeless. Can't really tell much difference as far as comfort. I think the soft spikes do a better job if the ground is damp. As far as sizing goes, I wear the same size golf shoe as I do a dress shoe. I know some people buy them a size larger so they can put some type of cushioned insoles in them. I don't. If they aren't comfortable the way they come (FJ DNA and Adidas AdiZero for me are this way), I do not buy them.

If you are going with one pair, I would suggest soft spikes - they seem to be a little better when the course is wet.
I have both, I prefer spikeless, only because I have been known to drag my feet a little, and I do not want to mess up the greens.

If you are going with one pair, I would suggest soft spikes - they seem to be a little better when the course is wet.
I have both, I prefer spikeless, only because I have been known to drag my feet a little, and I do not want to mess up the greens.

While spikeless is nice it doesn't cover everything and many are not fully waterproof either. Early morning rounds and rainy day rounds can be slippery wet and cold without dry grippy shoes. For one pair - cleated shoes no question.

I like both. Depends on the shoe for me. I almost bought some Puma Titan tour (spiked) but went with 2 pair of spikeless (Adidas gripmore adicross) in white and also a gray pair. Have no slipping issues with the gripmore soles like I did with my crossflex.

I enjoy both of them.

This may sound stupid, but spikeless makes me really focus on taking a nice smooth swing instead of going at it. The footing is not quite as good as it is with spikes, but it really makes me thinking about tempo.

Back