Cleveland cg14 vs. cg15

EJ333

Reaction score
Handicap
I am looking for a new 60* wedge that will complement my niblicks in look and feel. What are the differences between the cg14 and cg15 wedges as they compare to the niblick ? Obviously I will go for the Black Pearl finish.

I am looking for a new 60* wedge that will complement my niblicks in look and feel. What are the differences between the cg14 and cg15 wedges as they compare to the niblick ? Obviously I will go for the Black Pearl finish.

They are totally different wedges for the most part. The CG15 is more of the CG12 but with different grooves and milling. The CG14 have the piece in the cavity to reduce vibration. I preferred the CG15s by quite a bit. More of a classic wedge design and it has amazing feel.

I have not had the pleasure of hitting the 15 but I am gaming the CG14's and absolutely love em!

I play both. Carry 2x CG15 (54,58). Thought I'd need some extra forgiveness in the GW so decided on a 50* CG14. All three see plenty of use, and I'm quite happy with them. However In hindsight I'd probably go all 15's. Nothing wrong with the 14, but it does seem a little "dead" in comparison. Not enough of a problem to warrant changing my setup though.

Last edited:
Does the CG15 spin more than the CG14?

Does the CG15 spin more than the CG14?

I think it does. But some would argue that they are similar in spin. Both are top notch. I prefer the feel of the CG15s and the look is the best I have seen.

Which one is more forgiving?

I know some will say the 14 is more forgiving, but to me they are very similar. They are blade type wedges, not a lot of forgiveness packed into them or any others.

I have both, a CG14 56* and a CG15 52*. It's rather difficult to compare apples to apples because of the different loft between the two, however I plan to change the 56* out soon for another CG15. I don't currently play a 60*, but that will change soon as well. These are both very good wedges and I simply don't think a person can go wrong either way. If I were a single digit golfer, maybe I could tell a bunch of difference between the two, but I've loved both so far.

Can't compare the two, but I recently added CG14 54* & 58* to my bag... they have such good weight to them, chipping is a breeze... I had a Wilson Gap Wedge that was too light and an Adams SW that had too much bounce... In a couple of rounds I've noticed positive differences. Still working on full shot distances....

I've absolutely loved my 60* CG14 and just last night I picked up a new 56* CG15 and am very excited about this addition. I'm expecting similar to maybe a little more spin out of the 15 but that's not to say the 14 lacks in the spin dept at all.

I've absolutely loved my 60* CG14 and just last night I picked up a new 56* CG15 and am very excited about this addition. I'm expecting similar to maybe a little more spin out of the 15 but that's not to say the 14 lacks in the spin dept at all.

What's the verdict on the new CG15 60* vs your older CG14 60*? I just bought the same and have not put it into play yet, however I've never had a 60* either. My 56* CG14 has been a workhorse for a long time and my 52* CG15 seem's to lack a bit of the spin I had expected.

I've had practically every cleveland wedge since the 588. After the CG 14 I found myself trying Vokey's, Mizzy's, and anything else. I LOVE the cg 15. Shape looks great, feel is soft. The Club felt heavier (but not that much more) but after 20 mins on the chipping green and I got used to it. I actually like the weight now. It feels like it cuts through the rough with ease and on it's own. In my opinion (which nobody cares about) I'ld check out the cg 12 before the cg 14. As for it's relations to the niblick.... the wedges will give you more versatility. The niblick only does one thing, but it does it extremely well.
Edit: Make sure you atleast SEE the oil quench finish before you go black. Its awesome, sort of like a really shiny bronze.

I personally found the CG14 much more forgiving. Not sure how much of that is being a 19 HCP

What's the verdict on the new CG15 60* vs your older CG14 60*? I just bought the same and have not put it into play yet, however I've never had a 60* either. My 56* CG14 has been a workhorse for a long time and my 52* CG15 seem's to lack a bit of the spin I had expected.

I now have 2 CG15's in my bag vs. 1 CG14 and I can say without a doubt the CG15's have more spin, quite a bit more in fact. I was blown away when I got to see on a full shot with both my gap and sand wedge (CG15) how much spin these actually had. They do a number on a pro V1 though played that since they gave them away free at the Pro Am this weekend. Wow did it tear em up, I'm wondering how my B330-S will hold up to it, I suspect better but we'll see.

I now have 2 CG15's in my bag vs. 1 CG14 and I can say without a doubt the CG15's have more spin, quite a bit more in fact. I was blown away when I got to see on a full shot with both my gap and sand wedge (CG15) how much spin these actually had. They do a number on a pro V1 though played that since they gave them away free at the Pro Am this weekend. Wow did it tear em up, I'm wondering how my B330-S will hold up to it, I suspect better but we'll see.

Good to hear Bird. I need to wait a while before replacing my CG14 56*, but its getting pretty worn. I just need to get to know my 60* for now. Here's a pic of the three bonding overnight, lol.

P1020798.jpg

i am currently looking at both sets of wedges (CG14 vs CG15) Are the zip grooves the same in both of them? I know the CG15s have the lazer milled, but is that the only difference on the face of the club?

i am currently looking at both sets of wedges (CG14 vs CG15) Are the zip grooves the same in both of them? I know the CG15s have the lazer milled, but is that the only difference on the face of the club?

The zip grooves are the same unless it says "tour" zip in which they are conforming.
They are different wedges though. The CG15 is the classic blade wedge where as the CG14 offers some mild forgiveness and gel insert. The CG15 was the next line from the CG12 and the CG16 is the next line from the CG14.

Thanks! Sounds like the CG15 will be better for me. How does the CG15 compare the the tour action 588s? Do they have the same blade design? I current play with the tour actions and have the 51* 56* and 60*. will be replace all three wedges with the CG15.

If you have a Niblick 56* Sand Wedge, it has 14* of Bounce which works well for most lies in sand but 14* bounce is just too much for certain shots, like Lobs and Flops from tight fairways, and semi-buried lies or downhill lies in the sand. For me, the perfect wedge complement is the 2010 Cleveland CG14 60* Low Bounce (8* bounce) Wedge. You need a lower bounce wedge option for the shots mentioned above, and I have found the Cleveland 2010 CG14 60*/8* absolutely perfect for those particular shots. This Wedge is also a perfect cosmetic match with my 2010 Niblicks! Unfortunately, the 2010 CG14 60*/8* Low Bounce model is becoming harder to find now, but with just a bit of patience, you should be able to score one on ebay if you keep checking there! BTW, the Zip Grooves on the 2010 CG14 are the same as on the 2010 Niblicks. The Tour conforming grooves on Cleveland's 2011 Niblicks and Wedges will spin less. Cleveland had re-announced the CG14 for 2011 with the newer grooves, but I recommend the 2010 CG14 over that one. Same goes for the Niblicks, the 2010 Niblicks spin better than the 2011 models.

:good:

I still have the CG12's, looks like I need to upgrade!

I picked up some CG11's before my golf-sabbatical. Still love 'em, but soon the faces will be worn.

Back