Just put a new grip on the gap wedge. I use rubber cement instead of solvent. Couldn't be easier.

JYIhZOd.png

This just sounds like a bad idea to me.

This just sounds like a bad idea to me.

Agreed, if it needs to be regripped in the future I have a feeling it's gonna be a chore getting that area clean.

Agreed, if it needs to be regripped in the future I have a feeling it's gonna be a chore getting that area clean.

Not to mention that rubber cement will likely create an uneven surface depending on how malleable the grip.

OP - Solvent isn't meant to be an adhesive like rubber cement, but rather a lubricant for the already sticky tape.

Just put a new grip on the gap wedge. I use rubber cement instead of solvent. Couldn't be easier.

JYIhZOd.png

Not to mention that rubber cement will likely create an uneven surface depending on how malleable the grip.

OP - Solvent isn't meant to be an adhesive like rubber cement, but rather a lubricant for the already sticky tape.
Yeah solvent dissolves/evaporates and is gone. That glue is going to hold the grips on like crazy.

The non-level surface under the grip would be what I would be most concerned about. I can tell when there is a crease in the tape underneath, I couldn't imagine how it would feel with a bunch of rubber cement bunched up under one spot.

I wouldnt do a buildup with existing tape. Ive put some painters tape on. That sometimes takes some careful muscle and adds some time. A vice would probably be helpful on multiple wraps so you dont bend the club sliding it on; otherwise, yeah its super easy.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Well, my first re-grip went great! But, the tape I bought online wasn't the thicker kind, apparently, so I didn't use enough wraps to build-up from midsize to oversize. Thirteen new i-line on their way for round two!!! Thank goodness they had the 13 for $29.99 sale going on!!!!

Grabbed my 4 wood out of my bag today and the end of the grip felt funny. Idiot that I am, I didn't install it all the way on and about a third of an inch was above the shaft. $10 grip, and now I need to attempt to get it off and back on without ruining it. Got a large gauge needle and a syringe, hopefully injecting some WD40 under the grip will work. Gah!

Was planning on regripping my irons before Savannah ... maybe I should wait!

Did you get this fixed without having to buy a new grip?

Grabbed my 4 wood out of my bag today and the end of the grip felt funny. Idiot that I am, I didn't install it all the way on and about a third of an inch was above the shaft. $10 grip, and now I need to attempt to get it off and back on without ruining it. Got a large gauge needle and a syringe, hopefully injecting some WD40 under the grip will work. Gah!

Was planning on regripping my irons before Savannah ... maybe I should wait!

None of the problems suggested have ever happened. Ever. In fact, I learned to do this from one of the oldest most successful golf shops in the area. Works like a charm. But you all do it however works best for you. It has worked flawlessly for me.

BTW: One of our favorite THPers uses (or has used) Rubber Cement too...

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...rip-Adhesive&p=1716890&viewfull=1#post1716890

I've used rubber cement also, for years with no problems. Learned about it from a club builder when I couldn't find any double sided tape. Masking tape with rubber cement goes on slick as snot if you know what I mean!

Now I just blow them on with compressed air.

I need to learn to do that. I exploded one the first time I tried to take it off that way. Didn't know about using a Gray PVC tube over the grip. DOH!

Now I just blow them on with compressed air.

Last edited:
Did you get this fixed without having to buy a new grip?
Yes I did. 25 gauge needle attached to a 10cc syringe, and injected a bit of WD40 under the grip and started twisting the grip to work it around between the shaft and the grip. It came off with not many problems at all. Tried it with the Winn grips that were on my irons but it didn't work as well and I wound up cutting those off (would have liked to save them, but oh well).

Last edited:
I have had my new irons for about a month and a half and just couldn't stand the grips. Always felt to small. So regripped them tonight. With 1 extra wrap under the top hand and 2 extra under the bottom. Makes a huge difference in the feel. Like these much better and they are much grippier than the stock grips. And the black and neon green just looks awesome. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439955690.035107.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1439955714.200819.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a long time lurker here and have greatly benefitted from the generous sharing of knowledge by Forum members.

Today I regripped 3 wedges (removed and re-used one grip) and lengthened my putter. I removed the Super Stroke putter grip from the shaft added a 2 inch extension and replaced the
grip. This was my first attempt at this and learned how through this thread. All without a vice, mess or injury. Made a great grip remover from a coathanger and used tools I alrerady had. Great feeling.

So thanks to all who take the time to share their knowledge here.

Congrats on the successful job. Gripping your own clubs is fun, fulfilling, fairly easy and saves som cash too.

Regripped a buddy's set with the i-lines on sale and added a SS3.0 to the putter.

Have another set to do of lime green for another friend. Starting to seem like work lol.

b22dd002db48094c124eefd46a518319.jpg

Question for all the air regrippers out there. What size compressor are you using and which grip attachment? Looking for recommendations on the latter.

Random question. For cutting grips off, is a regular box cutter ok or should I look for a hook blade one? I saw a hook blade one recommended somewhere to minimize damage to graphite shafts.

Random question. For cutting grips off, is a regular box cutter ok or should I look for a hook blade one? I saw a hook blade one recommended somewhere to minimize damage to graphite shafts.
I blow my grips off but I did use a box cutter the first time re gripping and I would recommend a hook blade. I didn't have any problems with the regular box cutter but was a little nervous using it.

I would love to learn how to do this, but I would screw it up. Or cut off my fingers.

I would love to learn how to do this, but I would screw it up. Or cut off my fingers.

Highly doubtful, regripping is SOOOOO simple. Just read through the thread a bit, that's how I learned and then tried my first few regripps on some old junk clubs. It is so simple I don't see why anyone would ever pay to have it done.

Highly doubtful, regripping is SOOOOO simple. Just read through the thread a bit, that's how I learned and then tried my first few regripps on some old junk clubs. It is so simple I don't see why anyone would ever pay to have it done.

Trying to get my confidence up by reading the thread. Just worried about messing up a club.

I use an old kitchen knife.

As long as you're careful, you'll be fine with the shaft. I usually just make an initial cut and then pull the old grip off. The old grip will separate from the initial cut.

Trying to get my confidence up by reading the thread. Just worried about messing up a club.

It really is a simple process. Once you do it you'll want to always regrip them on your own. It's kinda fun and satisfying too.

Back