The Importance Of Short Game - #OWN125 By Cleveland Golf

I really want to hit that shot right there.... #NeedThisBunkerInMyBackYard

I really dig this new initiative from Cleveland Golf called #Own125. I think this would be a cool thread to relay our own thoughts on how our short game has really helped or hurt our games and what we are doing to fix it.

I loved their #JourneyToBetter last year and this one could be even more enjoyable. I also think we will do a contest around this soon.

Let's face it. The real point of this campaign is for Cleveland to sell more wedges (and someone mentioned earlier that they have a putter coming out - but that wouldn't have anything to do with this.... would it??). That's what they are in business for, and if they can convince golfers that the short game is more important than the long game, they have accomplished their goal.

It's a great campaign that is based on facts and data. Market to what makes you the money and for the consumer they could drop $200-300 on a set of wedges, practice their scoring game and get better.

Nothing wrong with Cleveland's marketing here. At first it bothered me that the "Own the short game" message of the video was a little too similar to the "own the second shot" slogan from Adams, but in the end who really cares?

Deliver a a good product with a good marketing campaign & the golf nerds like us will jump on it.

I think this is a good campaign. Makes a lot of sense for a lot of people I think. Smart marketing, really. I look forward to seeing what more they bring with this.

Look at what came out this year: Callaway PM Grind. Ping Glide Wedges. Last year it was Titleist SM5 Wedges.

Cleveland's strength is in their wedges, so that's what their selling.

of course it is. Hey instead of taking your 400 bucks and spending that on a driver, take a look and spend it on our wedges. It's something that can really improve your scoring if you get our wedges and work on your short game.

It's a great campaign that is based on facts and data. Market to what makes you the money and for the consumer they could drop $200-300 on a set of wedges, practice their scoring game and get better.

The difference being that I already know where short game lies in my scoring game, I already have the wedges I need, and I'm not going to by into the hype that in order to score better I need to replace my wedges with theirs (I do have a CG15 56° that I bought several years ago and it's still like new), which is where they are headed. I won't be buying new wedges in th ebelief that a better short game will be the result. I understand the importance of practicing it, as with all aspects of the game. I acknowledge that my long game needs to be intact in order to put me in position to use the short game in any meaningful way.

I think Fourputt is right. Its not like they put this out there out of the goodness of their heart for sake of informing us about the importance of something we never knew. They did it obviously to sell us equipment. And even using a given yardage was not by chance either. It was to make the numbers even more appealing and is also easily including a pw for very many people. With that said, the message is still a good one and the whole thing is very clever marketing imo. Its very realistic marketing and it should easily relate to a ton of people who view it which (as in this thread) it really does do just that and is why it is imo clever marketing and a good job on their part. Even if I or anyone can criticize it just a tiny tad for the two things I mention above (and its not really bad criticism) I don't think its really filled with a whole bunch of over hyped up mumbo jumbo. Probably is one of the better and more down to earth equipment marketing ploys I have seen.

And don't get all nutsy kookoo on me here. Im not arguing, not upset nor challenging anyone, nor causing tension, and not against the add, and in fact just saying the truth about it for what it is. And do agree the basic thoughts of it are a good message to send in general. Its a good marketing tool and it was done well.

All I can do is chuckle at this point. Its hysterical the dissection of a marketing campaign.
Where was the hatred for JourneyToBetter, which was the same company?

Its absolutely hillarious some of these posts.

Where in the video did it say to buy new wedges? Did I miss that part?

Love the video...they do a great job with the different videos they do between this...journey 2 better and the pelz stuff. Really good video quality too

I just don't see why some are so pressured with this campaign lol who cares??? Its a great campaign and they make great products, end of story. No one has a gun to your head and forcing you to buy anything lol why cant they just have a campaign even if its marketing and you either like it or just move along.

Love the video...they do a great job with the different videos they do between this...journey 2 better and the pelz stuff. Really good video quality too

One of the things that I love about stuff like this is that while its a commercial, it has a message. Its a brand commercial, but the campaign does not change, just like JourneyToBetter. It does not change that its true and that it matters. Golfers can take what they want out of it, of course and many will.

Its also a fun campaign if you follow along with their journey as it moves during the season.

Short game....it's getting personal haha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All I can do is chuckle at this point. Its hysterical the dissection of a marketing campaign.
Where was the hatred for JourneyToBetter, which was the same company?

Its absolutely hillarious some of these posts.

I know, you never have much respect for my opinions here. Ya see the difference is that I never heard of that campaign, so I'm innocent of any duplicity. The golf game is a single entity. It can be broken down into it's component parts, but they are all inextricably intertwined. To focus on one part without consideration of the others is essentially a losing proposition.

Last edited:
I guess all those drivers I bought that were only one component of the game was pretty silly. Oh yeah and the putter thst can only be used in one facet (churtomg excepted) isn't worth marketing dollars either.
Sorry to get away from the cool video, but to say a company shouldn't emphasize one aspect of the game is just not logical.

The Importance Of Short Game - #OWN125 By Cleveland Golf

I respect all opinions. I don't have to agree with them however and many just so not make a lot of sense at times.

The previous campaign has been mentioned almost a dozen times in this thread and has a half dozen threads including a redux version featuring THPers.

And this position about not breaking it down and golf being a single entity is just not accurate. Every single segment is broken down in every marketing piece by every company.

I know, you never have much respect for my opinions here. Ya see the difference is that I never heard of that campaign, so I'm innocent of any duplicity. The golf game is a single entity. I can broken down into it's component parts, but they are all inextricably intertwined. The focus on one part without consideration of the others is essentially a losing proposition.
Never did they say "ignore the other parts of your game!"

It's known that most amateurs don't spend anywhere near as much time on short game as they do pounding balls on the driving range. This marketing campaign is simply creating awareness around that and working to associate the Cleveland brand with the short game.

The fact that this thread has gone down this route has blown my mind.

Never did they say "ignore the other parts of your game!"

It's known that most amateurs don't spend anywhere near as much time on short game as they do pounding balls on the driving range. This marketing campaign is simply creating awareness around that and working to associate the Cleveland brand with the short game.

The fact that this thread has gone down this route has blown my find.
I don't understand how it did either. It's such a freaking cool video.

Just to pick one marketing campaign, why is this different than the TM Loft Up campaign? They believe they had something that would help golfers improve off the tee. And talking about companies doing things just to make money is silly. IT'S A BUSINESS. OF COURSE THEY WANT TO MAKE MONEY. Marketing is marketing. It's up to us a consumer to either buy in or buy elsewhere. No one is even saying this is the best campaign ever, you need new wedges. It's a marketing campaign.

One of the things that I love about stuff like this is that while its a commercial, it has a message. Its a brand commercial, but the campaign does not change, just like JourneyToBetter. It does not change that its true and that it matters. Golfers can take what they want out of it, of course and many will.

Its also a fun campaign if you follow along with their journey as it moves during the season.

To me, it's almost a specification of #JourneyToBetter. They're actually pointing out a way to get better. I love the messaging from Cleveland/Srixon on this stuff - "we're a company that's going to help you get better". You're seeing consistency year to year with the messaging too - the copy for the 355 line starts with "As a brand dedicated to improving your game... we ask, what helps golfers get better?".

Man I wish there was a place with a practice sand area around here. I would live in that thing. haha
Windmill learning center. I'm planning on going out there tomorrow.

I think it's a travesty that a golf company is using advertising to promote products.

Finally watched the video. Loved it. Very well done.

I went to the range and practiced short game tonight. The place was packed. There was very intermittently 1 other person on the chipping green with me, no more than 2 people on the putting green, 1 person (other than me after chipping) in the bunker, the grass range was completely full and the covered range with mats was just about full. I stopped counting at 11 of 14 people on the covered range swinging some type of hybrid/wood/driver.

Back