Callaway Great Big Bertha Driver Preview Thread

thats the setup I was hitting on the range and really liked. Can't wait for it to get here.

I didn't think I would like the Rogue, but can't deny the results I had yesterday with it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I didn't think I would like the Rogue, but can't deny the results I had yesterday with it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Funny...same here. I was set on being in the speeder shaft and a 10.5 head. I let results dictate though and this is a heck of a setup

It's available now for pre-order and the trade in bonus is active.

I took a few swings with this at golfsmith. Stock set up. First impression in hand was how light it was. I need to hit this in a bit heavier configuration to put it through the paces

It's available now for pre-order and the trade in bonus is active.

Yes, the added 50% does not show up online -- when the trade-in is processed, they add the 50% bonus at that time.

Im convinced this may be my favorite sounding driver in about 5 years.
Totally agree there. Hit them both yesterday and today. Really like the muted sound when hit on the screws. I'm torn between the 2.

Packed and ready to make the trip to Cali. I don't change often, but this one seemed automatic to me.

Ya I ordered one... Better than the 2014 I loved? No brainer

Ya I ordered one... Better than the 2014 I loved? No brainer

Nice.. What shaft did you go with?

I'm going to goldsmith tomorrow and hit it. I'm hoping they have some shaft options, se officially the Project X LZ Red

Nice.. What shaft did you go with?

I'm going to goldsmith tomorrow and hit it. I'm hoping they have some shaft options, se officially the Project X LZ Red

Rogue. Seems to be the right weight and profile for me. I loved it when I tried it in the 815

Packed and ready to make the trip to Cali. I don't change often, but this one seemed automatic to me.

Which Grandura shaft do you have in there? Also, I'd assume that you tested the Grandura shaft in your 815 as well when you did the launch monitor comparisons?

Rogue. Seems to be the right weight and profile for me. I loved it when I tried it in the 815

I have that one and the Diamana Blueboard, so looking to get something different that will still play weight wise like these do. It's coming down to the Project X Red or the Red Tie...

I really need to find a demo day/fitting location somewhere near me. It's going to take a special club to knock my BB out of my bag after the way I've been hammering it. Worse comes to worst, I take my BB and D+ 82X shaft to Dick's and swap the heads and figure it out myself.

Stepped in a simulator for a few minutes after too much range time... but with a 9 deg GBB and KK Black S flex was getting 14 launch and 2400-2600 spin. My AOA is usually a +4, so it was working.

Glad I ordered a different grip and a shorter length (45 in) shaft, and asked for stock swing weight (D3), hoping to get close to it.

Last edited:
Callaway Great Big Bertha Driver Preview Thread

I hit both GBB and 816 DBD today and didn't get along with GBB too well since it felt too light. I just went through making my XR heavier to D2 SW so probably why I had a little trouble. I will say though, for me, if I needed a driver that helped me draw the ball more consistently, this would be the club. I asked Finley about it and Sept 12 is earliest outside demo day. I will be there trying to dial in which driver will go against my XR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Genuine Q, you really notice from D3 to D4 that much? Its about 4 grams.

Genuine Q, you really notice from D3 to D4 that much? Its about 4 grams.

Sorry James, wrote D4 and meant D2. When I got the XR it get little light but got a good feel for it. I switched out shaft to Kuro Kage Black 60s playing at 45.25". Measured and it came to C7.4. Little hot melt and now it's D2. Very much a change for me.

Sorry James, wrote D4 and meant D2. When I got the XR it get little light but got a good feel for it. I switched out shaft to Kuro Kage Black 60s playing at 45.25". Measured and it came to C7.4. Little hot melt and now it's D2. Very much a change for me.

Oh no, I get that, my point was that the GBB swing weights out to D3.

The light thing we are hearing from a few people just intrigues me is all since many focus so much more on the swing-weight and D3 is super normal, but we are definitely all different and that is the cool thing about there being 19 different no up-charge options for this one.

The light thing we are hearing from a few people just intrigues me is all since many focus so much more on the swing-weight and D3 is super normal, but we are definitely all different and that is the cool thing about there being 19 different no up-charge options for this one.

Believe me when I say I couldn't give a hoot about numbers. I literally just go off feel and lately, for some absurd reason, I can't feel a club unless it has some weight to it. Probably had to do with the longer shaft than I'm used to. Heck if you see my post I just did of buying lead tape, I'm going to the heavy side to get back the touch I lost. Compared to the 816 DBD, the GBB just felt lighter. But the DBD did have the D+ stock shaft while GBB had speeder evo II.

Got to test this on the range today after my round. Alternated between the GBB and my Alpha 815 and while the GBB seemed to feel better and more smooth the ball flight and distance was no different compared to my 815. The better feeling might have been from the shaft, Speeder 665 in the GBB and Project X LZ in the 815.

Going to try to find time for the range again tomorrow and will try swapping the shafts around also I forgot to check the GC position in the GBB.

I think sometimes it fees light in hand when we pick it up (drivers in general) and that messes with our heads while swinging. Not me mind you, but many. Hope that makes sense.

Well, I demoed the GBB on a simulator after 3 hrs on the range -- it was the most consistent of any driver I've ever demoed on a simulator. The guy handed me a 10.5, which I knew would be too high, and a KK Black; then the Bassara as my SS was low 90's. My back ached. He said wrong loft -- and gave me a 9 with the KK Black in S flex. 20 more yards, Speed up to 99 on a few, 14 launch, spin 2k-2.6k. I gave him back the club - told him I was spent.

It's a good looking club and ought to work for me in terms of consistency while giving me length. Looking forward to swinging it in a couple of weeks.

Man, just when I think my bag is set I read this thread. It looks like a change may be coming to the top of my bag. This really sounds promising. I'm excited to demo one of these in the near future.

Well, I demoed the GBB on a simulator after 3 hrs on the range -- it was the most consistent of any driver I've ever demoed on a simulator. The guy handed me a 10.5, which I knew would be too high, and a KK Black; then the Bassara as my SS was low 90's. My back ached. He said wrong loft -- and gave me a 9 with the KK Black in S flex. 20 more yards, Speed up to 99 on a few, 14 launch, spin 2k-2.6k. I gave him back the club - told him I was spent.

It's a good looking club and ought to work for me in terms of consistency while giving me length. Looking forward to swinging it in a couple of weeks.

14* and mid 2k spin is pretty effing fantastic.

The Kuro Kage is intriguing after reading up on it. The weight shouldn't be an issue & I'll give it a run for sure before I decide

Back