Changing golf balls when putting

postiedogger

Reaction score
Handicap
Just want to know if the rules allow me to change golf balls when putting. Example, when my ball is on the green, I mark the t-ball and replace it with a Titlelist ball. I would putt with this expensive Titlelist ball all the time. A co-worker said he didn't think the rules would
allow it.

No sir

No Bueno according to the USGA

Nope, it's illegal. Must play the same ball from the tee through the green. Now if you're not playing in a tournament or entering a handicap score, and your buddies don't mind, then go for it!

If I remember correctly, you can't substitute the ball you hit off the tee unless it gets damaged in play and your playing partner agrees it can be replaced, or upon completion of the hole.

Throw into the mix you could have a different brand with different characteristics ... not good ...

Wouldn't it be nice. But as others have said, it's against the rules. Doesn't stop us on other things, so if your playing partners are ok with it, go for it!

I also challenge you to find a ball out there that is satisfactory everywhere for you, because there is one. And at a price you don't hate yourself for losing one.

Not if the rules are relevant to you, but I doubt most partners would care.

If I remember correctly, you can't substitute the ball you hit off the tee unless it gets damaged in play and your playing partner agrees it can be replaced, or upon completion of the hole.

You are correct sir.

Even then: It has to be the same type of make and model.

Is it against the rules? Yes. Is anyone really going to care outside of some sort of official tournament? No.

Back when I was growing up and first started playing, people did it all the time, so maybe I just always felt it to be normal. Of course, back in the those days, it was substituting a Top Flight or Pinnacle for a balata ball. Balls are so much better now, outside of the cheaper rocks, most balls are fairly soft to putt with.

Even then: It has to be the same type of make and model.

That's only true if the competition in which you're playing has a "one-ball" condition of competition.

That's only true if the competition in which you're playing has a "one-ball" condition of competition.
Thanks for correcting me. I always thought this was just in the rules of golf.

Now that it's been established that it's not allowed, let me ask this, why would you want to? Can you guys actually tell the difference from one ball to another while putting? I've played a gamut of different golf balls recently (B330, B330RX, e6, e7, Wilson Duo, Chrome Soft, SR3...even some Noodles) and honest to god, I can't tell the difference on the putting green. I will say this...throw a Slazenger or a cheap Top Flite in the mix, I may notice a different clicky tone off the putter face, but even then, I can't say with 100% certainty that the ball reacts any different (and I don't play those balls, so it wouldn't matter anyway).

Now that it's been established that it's not allowed, let me ask this, why would you want to? Can you guys actually tell the difference from one ball to another while putting? I've played a gamut of different golf balls recently (B330, B330RX, e6, e7, Wilson Duo, Chrome Soft, SR3...even some Noodles) and honest to god, I can't tell the difference on the putting green. I will say this...throw a Slazenger or a cheap Top Flite in the mix, I may notice a different clicky tone off the putter face, but even then, I can't say with 100% certainty that the ball reacts any different (and I don't play those balls, so it wouldn't matter anyway).

Well I personally wouldn't do it with a different model of ball but if my ball gets really dirty on the way to the green it can be nice to just switch it out with a nice clean one instead of taking the time to clean it off with your towel and then just clean it for the next hole.

would i want to? no. can i tell a difference? absolutely. grab three balls, drop them down, and make 3 quick putts with each one. i would be very surprised if you couldn't tell at least a small difference. does that difference translate into different results? i don't think so, but i think you would be able to tell (which i think you're saying you could, and i agree).

to op, i've seen big hitters take a hard (eg pinnacle or top flite) ball off the tee in a scramble, then switch up to a premium ball for approaches. other than that, wouldn't do it.

Hypothetical situation. U tag ur drive into a treee really really hard, and ur ball has a huge gash in it, and ur playing partner wants an advantage and does not agree to let u switch balls, even tho its really damaged, u still have to play it?

Hypothetical situation. U tag ur drive into a treee really really hard, and ur ball has a huge gash in it, and ur playing partner wants an advantage and does not agree to let u switch balls, even tho its really damaged, u still have to play it?
If in a competition, you could play out with two balls and let the committee decide. If it's just a friendly game between you and a buddy, I'd give him a hard time and use an undamaged ball.

If in a competition, you could play out with two balls and let the committee decide. If it's just a friendly game between you and a buddy, I'd give him a hard time and use an undamaged ball.

If it was just me and my buddy, I'd change the ball and not care. I was referring more to if Rory and Speith were in a 3 hole playoff

This, I can understand difference of spin in relation to distance and action around the greens but I can't see how there would be a discernible performance difference. If I am wrong, anybody feel free to correct me.

It was getting a little too far into the details so I didn't clarify on Wardy's earlier post, but the actual situation is this:

It is your choice to decide whether your ball is unfit for play or not. There does not have to be agreement.

However, your marker, opponent or fellow-competitor may disagree and lodge a claim against you. If they do so and the ball is later found to be fit for play, you will be penalized 2-strokes for stroke play or loss of hole for match play. In a tournament, you should hang on to any ball you deem unfit for play in case a question comes up later.

While waiting for my turn to putt, I once put my ball in the same pocket where I kept my provisional ball and could not tell which was which. Doh!

If you can't tell your provisional ball in your pocket, then how would you tell on the course!

Back