The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, hey there overly long swing that robs me of power speed and distance, was nice to see you make a return yesterday.

Now excuse me while I go impale myself on my driver in punishment.
Welcome to my iron swing. I'll be releasing a book shortly

Worked on one thing today - weight forward on the downswing. Hit 90 knockdowns with my LW through my 7 iron. Just to get contact. My ball contact has been horrid. It felt a lot better.

Welcome to my iron swing. I'll be releasing a book shortly

Welcome to all of my swings. It's a constant problem.

To that end, tried to go to the range and work on keeping my right arm straight on the backswing to maintain width on the backswing. Felt awesome with a sand wedge, but then when I tried to go to a 9 iron, it wasn't as good. Tried to go back to the wedge, and then thunder and lightning rolled in to cut my session short. I think I'm going to have to start hitting a lot more practice shots with my wedges to get that new feel down.

Spent an hour at the short game area at my club today. Taking my 60° and 64° and working from 40-80y. Best short game session ever. I may have missed the green 10 times the whole session and I hit probably close to 100 balls. I even got 2 to hole out from the 70y range.

Nothing but pitch and chip shots today. Worked through multiple clubs to different holes. Working to get the feel back and save some shots on the course. Short game has killed a few rounds lately, so I know exactly what I need to work on. My main focus was leading with my left hand and keeping my wrist locked through contact. It made a big difference.

Give 'em hell!

A second solid range session in a row again. Solid center face contact. Distance back to normal, slightly longer than normal in fact.

Dialing in my 120 and in shots. Trying to nail down that 1/2 swing with some stopping power.

Do you ever have those days where things just can't seem to go wrong?

Due to my academics and work I only golfed once last year at the beginning of June and that was the last time I even looked at my clubs. My buddy has been pressuring me to golf all year but I'm a bit short on funds this year due to unpaid study leave for my big exam in September but I finally relented and went to the range tonight and hit 50 balls. I think that may have been my best range session ever in the 5 years I've owned or swung golf clubs. I sliced 5 balls severely but the remaining 45 flew as they did 2 years ago, or even better in maybe 30-40% of them which is incredible. I've never hit my driver, 4 iron, or 5 iron so well in my life!

Maybe I ought to retire....

My last one was bad too. Going to get back at it tomorrow and I'm not leaving the range until it's sorted out.
How did it go?

Mine was so bad I am still shaking my head in disgust.

How did it go?

Mine was so bad I am still shaking my head in disgust.
Hard to say. The results were good but I'm not really happy about it.
The things I'm working on just aren't taking. I felt like I was shortening my swing nicely but video footage showed I was so far across the line at the top it was ridiculous. As such I just wasn't able to get the ball-on-ball consistency Im working towards.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439994133.987297.jpgready to hit the course with a bunch of THP'ers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adopted at the range last night. Left the clubs in the truck and took just my 50 54 58. Just wanted to work on hitting to short flags. It's easy for me to shift to full swings if I have my full bag. I'm notorious for grabbing a long iron and just turn my practice into mindless long irons. Pretty solid, always plenty of work to do with scoring clubs.

Went to the range today and hit about 75 golf balls. Went up and down the bag, 3-4 shots at a time to limit the grooving aspect. Really encouraged by how I hit many of the clubs. Struggled with overcooking the fairway and hybrid off the tee, but found a groove off the deck. Wedges were a little off but found 'em toward the end. Really liked how I hit driver and middle irons today and hope this leads to good things in the coming weeks where I'll be playing a lot of golf.

Spent an hour at the short game area at my club today. Taking my 60° and 64° and working from 40-80y. Best short game session ever. I may have missed the green 10 times the whole session and I hit probably close to 100 balls. I even got 2 to hole out from the 70y range.

Based on today's round this is the way I need to go in terms of practice. I was the worst I can recall being off the tee today, but I managed 4 pars and 8 bogeys out of the 15 holes I got in before the rain. That was all due to my wedges. I had 5 one-putts in those 15 holes, and only had 1 GIR. So while I clearly have a need to get my tee game fixed, it cannot come at the expense of short game practice.

After volleyball tonight, I got in a quick range session. Hitting only PW, 9 and 8 irons, I worked on what my instructor has me start on Saturday.

Focused on swinging out, really reaching for the target, turning my wrists over and really making sure my hips were turning and facing the target when I finished.

Overall a good session. A times I felt a reluctance for my hips to open and it is just something I will need to continue to drill into my swing. It will get there with more range time.

After volleyball tonight, I got in a quick range session. Hitting only PW, 9 and 8 irons, I worked on what my instructor has me start on Saturday.

Focused on swinging out, really reaching for the target, turning my wrists over and really making sure my hips were turning and facing the target when I finished.

Overall a good session. A times I felt a reluctance for my hips to open and it is just something I will need to continue to drill into my swing. It will get there with more range time.

Dude if you get the hips to sync up with your already extremely powerful upper body you will be stupid longer than you already are.

Dude if you get the hips to sync up with your already extremely powerful upper body you will be stupid longer than you already are.
Haha.. I can tell you they are going to fight me like no tomorrow. Going to take a bit to come around and this may be the toughest change i have made to date. I hit the ball so poorly on Sunday, I almost quit the game. It was that bad.

Tonight was much better and it will get there..

Another range session tonight, consistent center face contact again. Still really wanting to get in for some lessons so I can improve even more.

I got out to the range tonight for 2 large buckets. No clue why 2, but I just wanted to pound balls. It wasn't really productive, but I'm still a little shocked at the distances I'm seeing with the v4s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Raining cats & dogs here tonight, so just indoor putting for #GauntletPrep

My practice session tonight was certainly better than Monday's abomination, but it wasn't good. I will take the baby step in the right direction. Probably got two more practice sessions to get this figured out before my match Sunday.

Received an impromptu chipping lesson the other night so I've been working on what I was taught. The pro had me turn through the ball instead of relying on my arms and hands and I feel like the secret of chipping has been revealed to me. Chipping has always been the weakest part of my game, no matter how much I practiced. This little change changed everything. That technique seems to translate to pitching as well, so I spent about an hour chipping and pitching balls to various targets from 6-60 yards with my 58° wedge. Gonna take me some work to really groove this move, but its coming along well so far. Pretty good consistency of contact but not much distance control yet. Gonna be fun to get this out on the course tomorrow

give me a couple of hours on your short/sand game and you will be tough to beat!

give me a couple of hours on your short/sand game and you will be tough to beat!
I'll take you up on that when I am in Rochester.

I had a meeting end early by about 45 mins, so I was able to get in a small bucket at the range (always fun to do in dress shoes!). I hit wedges & odd numbered irons up and down the bag, and ended with the driver.

With irons, I just concentrated on a smooth tempo and shoulder turn; aside from a few thinned shots when I went into the downswing WAY too fast, I hit them all pretty decently. My fade was back with the 7 & 5 iron, which is just frustrating because I don't know what shape is going to show up on any given day. I don't mind the fade - it's 5-7 yards and I can adjust my aim accordingly, but rounds when I don't have the ability to hit some warmup shots are rough on the first few holes.

Driver... was on today. The cut was there, I expected it, and I was hitting them 220-230 into my "fairway" which is good for me. I'm hoping the thunderstorms hold off this weekend and I can see if I can take what I had today to the course.

Finally had my long overdue driver lesson. I need to slightly narrow my stance, play the ball a bit farther back, and feel like I'm not using my hands at all on the downswing. According to my pro, my hands are way too active on the downswing, which was the main reason for my hooks.

By the end of the bucket I was hitting much straighter, if a bit shorter but that's ok. Right now it's not trying to kill the ball and keep the hands from being overactive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back