The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were having a wedge off until I dunked one hahaha!!!! Awesome. Great practice.

7cf51e5168e9f092e855b0351f9a6985.jpg

spent about 2 hours putting today, with a couple minor rain interruptions. first time with my seemore fgp. started out draining everything, then struggled a bit, but ended up dialing it in pretty well.

I put a couple markers 2' past the hole, and hit a ton of putts from 20', 30' and 40'. the goal was to putt 3 balls in a row in or past the hole but not to the 2' mark. took a little while, but eventually got it.

then putted a bunch of balls uphill from 10' and 6'. goal was to make 2/3 from 10' and 3/3 from 6'.

then back home for some practice on the putting arc msiii with the sindelar clip, just getting used to the motion. finally feel like I'm on the right track with the putter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours at the range today, trying anything and everything to recapture my swing. 35 celsius and humid. Completely soaked with sweat as soon as I stepped out of the car.

I might as well of just walked out onto the range 50 yards, dumped the balls on the ground, and went home. Absolutely the worst ball contact I have ever made in my life. Can't release the clubhead to save my life, and am shanking/slicing all over.

My short game, my wedges, and my putting were unchanged, but I have no idea how I have completely lost my swing.

2 hours at the range today, trying anything and everything to recapture my swing. 35 celsius and humid. Completely soaked with sweat as soon as I stepped out of the car.

I might as well of just walked out onto the range 50 yards, dumped the balls on the ground, and went home. Absolutely the worst ball contact I have ever made in my life. Can't release the clubhead to save my life, and am shanking/slicing all over.

My short game, my wedges, and my putting were unchanged, but I have no idea how I have completely lost my swing.
Go get a lesson .. Been there and done that. Not a happy place to be

Almost got this driver issue worked out...
b659fe8002933ac0c495a390136e9f86.jpg

Setup! Setup! Setup!!!

Iron striking has been pretty good lately. Trying hard to figure out how to get same result with driver. 5 iron after 20 balls
9796136b3cecd16a848c6b23352d91d7.jpg

Spent about an hour on the practice green today on a course where the greens ate my lunch last time I played it. Not sure it helped much. I'll find out tomorrow.

A lesson today with my instructor, Erika, including some lengthy range time with Canadan and AMart.

Over the last week and half, felt like my distance with my irons was off and I wanted Erika to take a look.

She noticed that my hips were not opening up fast enough and they were causing me to steer the ball. First it was my hands steering the swing, now my lower body.

Things became better as the lesson went on, but it is going to take some work to get this engrained into my swing. Very frustrating because I feel like I am back to square one.

Afterwards we played a practice round. Up and down round working on the changes during the round, but I saw flashes of some great golf this afternoon.

Oh where oh where did my centered hip turn go. Oh where oh where can it be?

So I took a lesson on Thursday. Was going to go to the range yesterday but with all the thunder and lightning decided it wouldn't be prudent. So I went today. The problem seems to be with my short irons. I've been swaying my upper body back and hitting fat. But when I'm pressed to hit a really full shot like with a 7 iron or longer no problem - bam. It's like I'm afraid to hit the ball.

60 balls and I had a few successes. Then finally I had my pitching wedge in hand and got a little mad and laid into one. Full wedge shot. Hit it. Bam. Centered hip turn. Solid contact. Tight shot. Again. Repeated it. *facepalm* Okay, so take a little break. Now go back and hit your SW the same way. Bam. GW. Bam. PW. Bam. 9 iron. Bam. 8 iron. Bam. Three shots each. I'd accomplished what I wanted. Time to putt.

It was like since my shoulder injuries I became afraid to hit the ball unless I was really pressed to make a long shot. Hit it!

Had a chance to get out to the range the last two days. Each day I took the first of two buckets working on a drill for rotation. I'm really trying hard to keep my hips from stalling out, which causes me to drop the club behind me and then I get a push going. I then split up the next bucket with mostly shots hitting wedges, 9/8 irons, then a bunch with the driver. It worked well. I really was hitting my driver in the center area of the club face after switching to a shorter tee. City Championship in two weeks... Gotta keep the practice going. If I can get the driver going straighter, and the wedges honed-in, I could do well.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439694395.615141.jpg

Think I figured out that some of my contact issues on my mishits are coming from weighting issues and not swing issues. I think I get my weight too much on my toes every now and then and it causes me to almost fall a couple inches forward on my downswing causing me to shank it. It only happened on two swings yesterday, but I think that was the issue. Took some practice shots with making sure I could still wiggle my toes and contact was crisp. Going to add that to my pre shot routine now to make sure I'm good every time moving forward.

Full swing struggling, but short game better than ever. 1.5 hours of short game today. High, mid, low. Repeat.

Think I figured out that some of my contact issues on my mishits are coming from weighting issues and not swing issues. I think I get my weight too much on my toes every now and then and it causes me to almost fall a couple inches forward on my downswing causing me to shank it. It only happened on two swings yesterday, but I think that was the issue. Took some practice shots with making sure I could still wiggle my toes and contact was crisp. Going to add that to my pre shot routine now to make sure I'm good every time moving forward.

when i started with my instructor back in 2013, he had me sit back on my haunches. not necessarily wiggling toes, but definitely more on my heels. then i went to the annika academy last year for an event, and her coach called me out and a couple other people for not having our weight on the balls of our feet, even slightly more on the toes. good results for awhile, then shanks crept back in, so now i'm more on my heels (again).

about 30 minutes of practice putting today, 15 minutes with the sindelar clip and the msiii putting arc, then 10 minutes without, then 5 minutes with. practiced 6, 25 and 35 foot putts. feeling really good, but on-the-course is where the rubber will meet the road.

when i started with my instructor back in 2013, he had me sit back on my haunches. not necessarily wiggling toes, but definitely more on my heels. then i went to the annika academy last year for an event, and her coach called me out and a couple other people for not having our weight on the balls of our feet, even slightly more on the toes. good results for awhile, then shanks crept back in, so now i'm more on my heels (again).

Yea I kinda worked on that a little while practicing yesterday, and I tried to keep my weight as even in the middle as possible. I could feel it in the balls of my feet, but could still move my toes. Not sure if it's correct or not but it felt better and I was swinging well with it haha

It was my 2nd session working on Geoff Jones' 'Encyclopedia Texarcana' stuff.

Worked on the 9-3 drill, concentrating mainly on allowing my hips to turn and releasing correctly.

Hitting 60 balls a day for 21 days, and see where I'm at. I'm a 'flipper' so that is the biggest habit I have to break. I want so badly to turn the wrists over.

The first 20-30 balls were horrible. But, after that I hit some really nice deep balls (swinging further than 9-3 though). It actually seemed easier with a full swing. Probably because I'm rushing during a half swing and throwing off my tempo.

Kind of feels like I'm learning to golf all over again.

Iron striking has been pretty good lately. Trying hard to figure out how to get same result with driver. 5 iron after 20 balls
9796136b3cecd16a848c6b23352d91d7.jpg
Very nice.

After a horrendous round on Thursday, and then brutal range sessions on Friday on Saturday, I got back to work today. Trying to work past the "deep shank city" I had been a visitor to the prior couple days. I was discouraged. Trying to setup a lesson, but the guy I want to go to is away for the week, so I figured I would at least get some swings in.

Warmed up with the SKLZ trainer, which I had gotten away from. I had thinned out the bag in frustration on Sunday, so the bag only had Driver, 5deep, 4i, 5i, 7i, 9i, PW, DW and 56*.

Target greens were a bit farther than I am used to. 78 yds, 120yds, 160yds, and 218yds.

Started DW to the 78. Then stretched a couple out to about 110yds. Switched to the PW, easy to the 110, stretching out to 120. 9i easy to 120, stretching out beyond. Launching high again. Aim right on, finishing right on target.

7i to the 150 range, 5iron to 160-170 range. 5deep flying high and straight, and then Driver maxing out around 210 ish on carry.

Not amazing numbers, but much closer to normal than I had been for the previous couple sessions and rounds. Still dealing with a ball flight is ballooning too much, but at least today the distances were different club to club again.

Very happy with a bit of normalcy with my irons again. Headed to the practice green to tinker with the weights on the tank cruiser a bit. 1.5 hrs later, I headed home with a smile on my face.

Rolled about 100 putts with the Ghost. It really feels good to be using such a familiar putter. My speed is still very firm but everything was still on line. It was a lot easier to slow down the roll thanks to the insert.

What a horrible practice session.

What a horrible practice session.

My last one was bad too. Going to get back at it tomorrow and I'm not leaving the range until it's sorted out.

Managed a decent range session tonight. It always takes me a while to get dialed in. I start trying to hit some easy PW but even on those I struggle to find the bottom of my swing and go through my usual progression of hitting shots fat, then thin, then fat again, then slightly less thin. Eventually it comes around. I think I'm just going to start teeing up all my swings at the beginning. First round of driver results were pretty meh as my slice creeped back in. Couldn't quite get it straightened out, but it wasn't a terrible banana slice. I'd have been in the rough but would have found most of them. 3W and hybrid were no bueno tonight, could not stop a strong fade / light slice for the life of me. On my way home I got to wondering if maybe I wasn't getting a good enough weight transfer on finish. Ran through wedges for a while to get my swing dialed back in. Pleased with the results except for 3 straight SW that I hit fat. Got back to driver and realized I was just swinging too hard. Nice easy swings resulted in a nice tight fade.

I did a good job tonight of keeping a loose grip on the club, not my usual holding on for dear life grip. Also working on keeping a straight left arm on the backswing and did a good job of that tonight too. 3rd thing I'm working on is to take the club back a little straighter, I tend to take it too far inside. Mixed results on that, it's a hard habit for me to break. I feel like I'm making good progress with my swing. When I put all 3 of those things together and hold my backswing at the top, I can really feel the "power" that I have "stored" in my swing and I feel like I can almost let the club just fall down naturally to the ball without having to "swing at it". I feel like this is helping me get a better tempo which hopefully I can be more consistent with, and I haven't lost any distance with a much easier and controlled swing.

Had a really good range session tonight doing some #GauntletPrep. Really focused on my setup and as a result, got a lot of wonderful ball-first contact. Felt really good.

Horrible range session. I'm going back to hitting knockdowns.

Oh, hey there overly long swing that robs me of power speed and distance, was nice to see you make a return yesterday.

Now excuse me while I go impale myself on my driver in punishment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back