Flight Simulation (PC)

Flight Simulation (PC)

JRod, can you fit one of these full motion sims in your basement? I'm going for sim next week, I'll inquire about shipping costs.
0577f95ee0ee866bb3d1e45aba4c8484.jpg
447db1f67ebab6785334fe652b11f271.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

People do its freaking insane!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well fsx steam sucks and nothing works with it so I just picked up an old school gold edition .

Can't wait to use vpilot and talk in niners and whiskeys hahah

Well fsx steam sucks and nothing works with it so I just picked up an old school gold edition .

Can't wait to use vpilot and talk in niners and whiskeys hahah

Never tried steam, but Gold should be 'good to go'....
Haven't tried vPilot yet, but seemed awfully easy... Make sure you brush up on your accent when you fly into Boston..

I need to relearn the aeronautical alphabet.

Never tried steam, but Gold should be 'good to go'....
Haven't tried vPilot yet, but seemed awfully easy... Make sure you brush up on your accent when you fly into Boston..

Have you used any of the vatsim clients ?

I have now watched tons of trolling videos. They are pretty funny. Cannot help you otherwise Jrod hehe

Have you used any of the vatsim clients ?

I've used fsinn and that worked well but has a lot of functionality I never used. The only thing that was annoying was I could never get people's airplanes to show up as what they were supposed to be. American, United etc. it would always get them wrong no matter what I did to model matching rules.
I have vpilot downloaded but haven't tried it in a while.

Airnav.com and flight aware will be your new best friends. Lots o charts and routes.

I've used fsinn and that worked well but has a lot of functionality I never used. The only thing that was annoying was I could never get people's airplanes to show up as what they were supposed to be. American, United etc. it would always get them wrong no matter what I did to model matching rules.
I have vpilot downloaded but haven't tried it in a while.

Yah vPilot is supposedly the easiest and what most use because of that.

It wouldn't work with steam so I can't really say how well it works yet.

JRod, can you fit one of these full motion sims in your basement? I'm going for sim next week, I'll inquire about shipping costs.
0577f95ee0ee866bb3d1e45aba4c8484.jpg
447db1f67ebab6785334fe652b11f271.jpg

My ex wife bought me a session on one when I was back in the UK. The one I went on was an old Boeing 727. We done some laps of Gatwick. The guy running the session cranked up the turbulence and I thought I was gonna puke it was so realistic LOL. Pleased to say I stuck the plane smack bang down on the centerline though. Definitely worth doing, and the price was quite reasonable.

JRod,

I used to be huge into flight sims. Feel free to ask me any questions. FSX is still kicking somehow despite essentially being dead and does still have a ton of planes and add ons sold. X-Plane has taken a good bit of the PC Flight Sim market though (and has all of the Mac/Linux market)

In addition to flying around by yourself, make sure to checkout VATSIM.net. There you can fly with other pilots and human Air Traffic Controllers who use real-world procedures and phraseology. Especially when they have a big event going on, it's a blast.

I've flown full-motion sims at Little Rock AFB, FedEx and Delta and while I wouldn't say I did a great job, I did get the plane down without bending it too badly, both visual and in IMC conditions.

Hoping to have my copy today!

Steam edition is keeping with me busy with tutorial missions but it's getting pretty old.

Steam edition is keeping with me busy with tutorial missions but it's getting pretty old.

Awesome. Time to turn you into an airline pilot.

This will be your new manual.
462b5a6dcc65b8150cf1987e0086409d.jpg

Fly the monsoon Landing into Singapore. That's fun

It's hard to explain to someone how much fun it is to fly a complicated approach procedure in IMC conditions. I'm sure fun is not the word real pilots use in real life, but in the game, flying something like the DME-A into St. George Utah in IMC really gets the heart rate going:

10546VDA.PDF

Last edited:
What did you end up going with for controls? Sorry if I missed it.

Just a cheap thrust master for right now until I make sure I like it.

Will upgrade if I keep with it .

If your sim supports it (it should) I would highly recommend TrackIR. IR reflectors attach to your headset and the IR camera tracks the position/movement of your face. Wherever you look in real life is translated into where you look in-sim vs using a hat button. I "fly" in IL2 a WW2 flight sim and it's very useful in locating opponents.

For those not familiar with IL2 it was developed by a Russian military flight sim designer so flight characteristics, including battle damage, is modeled. Even though the original version is 10 years old, there's a very strong following. In fact, a mod was recently released that allows flying aircraft from WW1 through modern jets.

So doing this with one monitor is going to be a real challenge .

I see a trip to best buy in my near future

You've either got to go with a big screen (21" or larger) or go two monitors. If you go multiple, you have to do it right otherwise it will be a pain..
http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/
So doing this with one monitor is going to be a real challenge .

I see a trip to best buy in my near future

Well I plan on having a huge monitor for the game and the having another one off to the side for the flight plans , frequencies, airport charts, etc

Back