The 2015 Grandaddy - Chance Of A Lifetime

Today I became the 4th Member of #TeamRedemption for the #Granddaddy of them all. We will save the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] member title for the MVP of the Gauntlet.

I wanted to introduce myself formally to the redemption team and say that I am proud, excited, scared, and nervous to represent such an amazing group of people here on The Hackers Paradise. I am proud of what this community is and see how it supports itself, others and great causes such as the Folds of Honor. I am excited for this once in a lifetime opportunity to get fitted by Callaway, play at the most incredible course in the nation and be given the royal treatment for a weekend that I will never forget. I am scared that I will not live up to all of your expectations and let me team mates down. I am also nervous about shanking the tee shot on hole #1…

My name is Cdpkook132 Aka Colin Potter, I am 28 years old and am originally from Tucson Arizona. I began my golf "career" as a freshman in high school and tried to catch up with my friends that had been golfing for a long time and were exceptionally good junior golfers. I tried out for the team as a sophomore and missed the cut by one agonizing stroke. I dedicated that year to learning golf and played many rounds by myself to learn the game as fast as possible. As a junior, I made the team and played as an on and off 6th man. Playing free golf everyday for 9 weeks straight really helps the golf game. I played a few tournaments and had some notable scores but the other guys on the team were that much better than me. Senior year rolls around and I am the consistent 6th man on the team and had overall a great year. Two very notable scores of 36, 1 on our very difficult home course (par 36) and one on an away course (par 35) which I was 1 under coming into 9. I then proceeded to blow up and shoot a double in front of everyone watching from the 9[SUP]th[/SUP] green. If there is one hole I could have back, that would be the one although people were still shocked I shot such a good score. I also attended regionals and state that year but did not do so well. One of my most memorable shots was during the only round I ever got to share with my grandpa who played golf up to the age of 92. It was a par 3 that I hit to 6". Gramps then proceeded to turn to me and say, "Too bad you’re going to miss the putt!" I love that man, but I did not miss the putt.

Fast forward to 2005, high school is over and I go to college at the University of Arizona. Working at an engineering firm and getting my civil engineering degree really limited my golf to 1 or 2 rounds a year including the company’s charity golf tournament. I always maintained a pretty good swing but lacked consistency due to lack of practice naturally. I was a go to pick for scrambles though as I can wail on the ball compared to anyone else in the company.

I graduated college with a civil engineering degree in 2011 and started to golf more as my evenings were now freer for practice and several friends were getting into the sport. I helped those friends learn the game, my practice picked up, the number of rounds played a month increased and my scores started to drop again. I am really enjoying the sport of golf as well as what my swing has developed into. I gained a ton of yardage since being a scrawny kid in high school so everything on the course has become more manageable and easier to get into and out of trouble. Course management is what I was lacking though. Did you know that you don’t have to hit driver off every tee? I didn’t understand the concept yet.

Fast forward to this year... 2015... The year my life got flipped upside down.

What an incredible year I have/am having. After working for the same engineering firm for 10 years, my dream job contacted me about applying for a position. That dream job you ask? Working for the convenience store QuikTrip. As funny as it sounds to have this as a dream job I was stoked! If you haven’t heard of QuikTrip, look them up and you will see what a great company they are. They are also huge supporters of the Folds of Honor which made my choice to join the Albatross Club a simple one as well. Corporate headquarters is located in Tulsa, Ok and it would require me to move there. I proceeded to interview on a Monday and take my Professional Engineering exam on that same Friday after and studying zero for the test, but my goals were set. We are now into mid May and I get a call with a job offer which I accepted! I would be moving 1000 miles to a town I had been to once. The real kicker? I got married May 22, 2015 and that morning I also got an email notifying me I passed my PE exam. I got married, went on an amazing honeymoon and 2 weeks later I am driving to Tulsa, Ok. The bad news is I am here alone as my wife is in Tucson finishing her PHD at UofA and working a year under contract at a school district. So he I am alone in a new city, with a new job, without my new wife. The evenings are long, but I do have The Hackers Paradise to pass the time. I have been golfing more than ever since moving to Tulsa and the excitement just got real today! I was asked to join #TeamRedemption and lay the smack down on the #ZooCrew in California to bring that Granddaddy Belt home!

I am truly honored to be given this opportunity and will not let you guys and gals down!!!

Today I became the 4th Member of #TeamRedemption for the #Granddaddy of them all. We will save the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] member title for the MVP of the Gauntlet.

I wanted to introduce myself formally to the redemption team and say that I am proud, excited, scared, and nervous to represent such an amazing group of people here on The Hackers Paradise. I am proud of what this community is and see how it supports itself, others and great causes such as the Folds of Honor. I am excited for this once in a lifetime opportunity to get fitted by Callaway, play at the most incredible course in the nation and be given the royal treatment for a weekend that I will never forget. I am scared that I will not live up to all of your expectations and let me team mates down. I am also nervous about shanking the tee shot on hole #1…

My name is Cdpkook132 Aka Colin Potter, I am 28 years old and am originally from Tucson Arizona. I began my golf "career" as a freshman in high school and tried to catch up with my friends that had been golfing for a long time and were exceptionally good junior golfers. I tried out for the team as a sophomore and missed the cut by one agonizing stroke. I dedicated that year to learning golf and played many rounds by myself to learn the game as fast as possible. As a junior, I made the team and played as an on and off 6th man. Playing free golf everyday for 9 weeks straight really helps the golf game. I played a few tournaments and had some notable scores but the other guys on the team were that much better than me. Senior year rolls around and I am the consistent 6th man on the team and had overall a great year. Two very notable scores of 36, 1 on our very difficult home course (par 36) and one on an away course (par 35) which I was 1 under coming into 9. I then proceeded to blow up and shoot a double in front of everyone watching from the 9[SUP]th[/SUP] green. If there is one hole I could have back, that would be the one although people were still shocked I shot such a good score. I also attended regionals and state that year but did not do so well. One of my most memorable shots was during the only round I ever got to share with my grandpa who played golf up to the age of 92. It was a par 3 that I hit to 6". Gramps then proceeded to turn to me and say, "Too bad you’re going to miss the putt!" I love that man, but I did not miss the putt.

Fast forward to 2005, high school is over and I go to college at the University of Arizona. Working at an engineering firm and getting my civil engineering degree really limited my golf to 1 or 2 rounds a year including the company’s charity golf tournament. I always maintained a pretty good swing but lacked consistency due to lack of practice naturally. I was a go to pick for scrambles though as I can wail on the ball compared to anyone else in the company.

I graduated college with a civil engineering degree in 2011 and started to golf more as my evenings were now freer for practice and several friends were getting into the sport. I helped those friends learn the game, my practice picked up, the number of rounds played a month increased and my scores started to drop again. I am really enjoying the sport of golf as well as what my swing has developed into. I gained a ton of yardage since being a scrawny kid in high school so everything on the course has become more manageable and easier to get into and out of trouble. Course management is what I was lacking though. Did you know that you don’t have to hit driver off every tee? I didn’t understand the concept yet.

What an incredible year I have/am having. After working for the same engineering firm for 10 years, my dream job contacted me about applying for a position. That dream job you ask? Working for the convenience store QuikTrip. As funny as it sounds to have this as a dream job I was stoked! If you haven’t heard of QuikTrip, look them up and you will see what a great company they are. They are also huge supporters of the Folds of Honor which made my choice to join the Albatross Club a simple one as well. Corporate headquarters is located in Tulsa, Ok and it would require me to move there. I proceeded to interview on a Monday and take my Professional Engineering exam on that same Friday after and studying zero for the test, but my goals were set. We are now into mid May and I get a call with a job offer which I accepted! I would be moving 1000 miles to a town I had been to once. The real kicker? I got married May 22, 2015 and that morning I also got an email notifying me I passed my PE exam. I got married, went on an amazing honeymoon and 2 weeks later I am driving to Tulsa, Ok. The bad news is I am here alone as my wife is in Tucson finishing her PHD at UofA and working a year under contract at a school district. So he I am alone in a new city, with a new job, without my new wife. The evenings are long, but I do have The Hackers Paradise to pass the time. I have been golfing more than ever since moving to Tulsa and the excitement just got real today! I was asked to join #TeamRedemption and lay the smack down on the #ZooCrew in California to bring that Granddaddy Belt home!

I am truly honored to be given this opportunity and will not let you guys and gals down!!!

Great story!
I know TrueFX lives in Tulsa, try to get in touch with him for some rounds.

Wow. What a great story cdpkook132. Now I don't hate you as much for getting selected ? Good Luck buddy, do us THPers proud.

congrats cdpkook132, enjoy your journey.

Great story!
I know TrueFX lives in Tulsa, try to get in touch with him for some rounds.
I'm pretty sure someone else that's kind of important for this one lives fairly close to Tulsa, too. Might be nice to get some rounds in with him :)

I'm pretty sure someone else that's kind of important for this one lives fairly close to Tulsa, too. Might be nice to get some rounds in with him :)

Yes we are pretty close, the training regime is being put into motion ;)

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

Great story and im positive you will do us all proud.

Congrats Cpdkook. Hope you enjoy very minute of the event and be part of the winning team.

Great introduction, and welcome to the team. Sounds like you're off to an incredible year already, and we're going to cap it off with a win out in California. I'm told if we win, there might be cake...:cake:

Quite a year you've had Colin.

Having passed the Structural Engineering exam, I know what you were going through with that PE. Great that you passed. Shows you know how to work hard and that will definitely carry over to Team Redemption.

Great story, Colin!!! Sounds like life is good and getting better all the time for you!! And I do love the QT. Wish there was one closer though. Congratulations again on being selected as a member of #TeamRedemption!!

Great into Colin, welcome to team redemption!

Was nice to meet you Colin...great intro to our Team and get ready for the best golf experiences one can phathom.

Awesome into Colin!

I was looking for the answers to the questions for the 2nd contest and it really got me thinking about the Grandaddy & what a truly unique and incredible opportunity it is for the ones that get selected. As good as job as THP and Callaway do of making us chomp at the bit to be one of the "chosen few", I don't think there is any way possible to really get a full appreciation of what an amazing and special event it is unless you are one of the luck ones (yeah, I know "duh!!!). I know that there are some really great players out there and if we want to beat Team Callaway then we are going to need the best. BUT...I know I don't speak for all of the high handicappers here, but the honor of being selected is not diminished on us in the least. And while our abilities are lacking our excitement and anticipation is not diminished in the least. I actually thought about not entering this year since I know my game isn't on the same level as most of the awesome folks here at THP. In the end though, I know that I love the game as much as everyone else and to be a part of the Grandaddy would be a mind blowing experience that I couldn't pass up regardless of the state of my game. So, thanks again to THP and Callaway for making a the dreams of us everyday golfers come true!!! I wish everyone the best of luck in the contests!!!

Awesome introduction, Colin. And great to learn more about you. Congrats again on being the 3rd member of Team Redemption.

Great intro, Colin. Good luck at the Grandaddy. I hope you be playing along side you, but I'll at least be pulling for you on here and the rest of #TeamRedemption.

Congrats cdpkook132! That was a great intro.

Awesome intro cdpkook132 (Colin)! Sounds like another fantastic THPer to represent #TeamRedemption in the Grandaddy of em all! Hope I can join the quest for the Belt!

Thanks for the intro Colin !!

Great post Colin! You are going to do THP Proud!

I was looking for the answers to the questions for the 2nd contest and it really got me thinking about the Grandaddy & what a truly unique and incredible opportunity it is for the ones that get selected. As good as job as THP and Callaway do of making us chomp at the bit to be one of the "chosen few", I don't think there is any way possible to really get a full appreciation of what an amazing and special event it is unless you are one of the luck ones (yeah, I know "duh!!!). I know that there are some really great players out there and if we want to beat Team Callaway then we are going to need the best. BUT...I know I don't speak for all of the high handicappers here, but the honor of being selected is not diminished on us in the least. And while our abilities are lacking our excitement and anticipation is not diminished in the least. I actually thought about not entering this year since I know my game isn't on the same level as most of the awesome folks here at THP. In the end though, I know that I love the game as much as everyone else and to be a part of the Grandaddy would be a mind blowing experience that I couldn't pass up regardless of the state of my game. So, thanks again to THP and Callaway for making a the dreams of us everyday golfers come true!!! I wish everyone the best of luck in the contests!!!

We have had high handicappers in every single grandaddy to date and definitely every single THP Event to date. So has Team Callaway.
Its a handicapped event and all skill levels matter.

I will say that those that choose to follow along live as it happens each year, can appreciate what is taking place. Watching the forum members that were in the live thread last year keep score tallies, ask questions, etc was awesome and they said they felt included.

Its the same with every event. If you want to be a part of it in some way, learn a bit, and feel included, jump in the live update threads and follow along and ask questions. If you dont, thats cool too, its your choice.

People can get as much or as little out of each event whether they get in or not.

I say that not as a knock, as I know tone is hard to make out in text, just offering some advice for people on the fence. Sign up, you never know what can happen. Last year we had a few 1st time THP Event goers, making their debut at the Grandaddy. This year we already have another one. And if you dont get in, jump in on the fun, you never know what comes out of it live as it happens on the forum.

Congrats Colin! There's at least a couple of THPer's in the Tulsa area ... they'll help you get into GrandDaddy playing shape in no time!

I'm happy to see that you spell your (our) name the right way! :alien: congrats on getting into the Grandaddy, Colin, and I hope to join you guys!

You will do us proud Colin, awesome intro!

Back