Is this a Hole in One?

Think of it this way, if you pushed your mother-in-law off a cliff and that's as far as she went...

Maybe a hole in one. Pick a spot on the ball to align with the edge of the cup, mark the ball, repair the divot, attempt to place ball in correct spot. If ball stays up then nice birdie, if it keeps falling in then hole in one with a * by it. You would still have to buy me a drink either way.

No, it is not a HIO. If it were resting below the lip of the cup then yes it would be. But you have figured it out already.

Ouch,so close. But no

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Sad......but NO.

Not even close

Sorry. Doesn't fall it doesn't count.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So if the ball is squeezed between the pin and the edge, what is the ruling there? I've always counted it, but apparently I've been wrong.
You are allowed to adjust the pin in that situation and allow the ball to fall to the bottom of the cup. You've been doing it correctly.

Weird. The shady lawyer is arguing against proof.

Yes. Because everything posted on the Internet is factually correct and unaltered.

Since I would be off the green, I'd do my damndest to chip my ball and knock my partner's in. The second one ... still no, but crazier.

It's sucks BUT you know the rules state....Rules of Golf Define a ball Holed as....
Holed
A ball is
"holed” when it is at rest within the circumference of the hole and all
of it is below the level of the lip of the
hole.

The definition for a ball resting against the pin would have to apply in a similar way here. As there is basically air below the ball, I would not subscribe to any logic that claims that thing isn't holed.

And if some lunatic with a rulebook tried to argue it I'd buy the plaque myself and present it to the guy hitting the shot. Because it was a hole in one ten times out of ten.

Oh soooooo close, but no cigar....

The definition for a ball resting against the pin would have to apply in a similar way here. As there is basically air below the ball, I would not subscribe to any logic that claims that thing isn't holed.

And if some lunatic with a rulebook tried to argue it I'd buy the plaque myself and present it to the guy hitting the shot. Because it was a hole in one ten times out of ten.
I understand what you're saying, but even with the pin out, it's still not falling into the hole. So, as much as it stucks, by the rules, it's not a holed shot as it's not 100% below the cut of the cup.

I would have to say no to both, crappy on both of them. The hole in one my father in law got when I was with him completely destroyed the side of the hole and came to rest in the bottom of the cup.

For the shot in the OP I say no its not good

For that one stuck in the lip ring, I really don't know.
Technically the ball hit just barely prior to the ring or it wouldn't have caught the ring. Had the ring held its ground or was not there the ball may have popped up or over to the stick and in either case bounced anywhere/elsewhere.

In fact in either scenario for both shots, who to say the ball would not have hit the bottom and bounced out to go even further than tap in distance.

For me and to myself I don't think I would count either one as a HOI. There would always be an asterisk next to it in my own mind because ya just cant say for 100% certain what would have happened and that doesn't work well for me. So it is what it is. Just another shot on the green for either shot. Bad luck perhaps, bit still just another shot.

Last edited:
so close.........

That's a Nope!

In a casual round, I'd have no problem if someone wanted to claim it (talking about the first picture). I'd gladly accept the free drink in the bar.

But in a tournament, it's not holed.

No but I'm 300lbs and would help shake the ground. :)

Not a hole in one. After seeing those pictures I'm really hoping I never have to make that decison on one of my shots.

Not a HIO but the greatest birdie of all time?

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never once encountered those rings before... We always spray painted the dirt (side of the sod) white

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd make him putt it.

Back