2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great time at the gym tonight (never thought I'd say that). Felt like I had really good form on my squats, and based on some discussion last week about high bar vs low bar, I switched to high bar (had been doing low bar), and I have to say it feels like I'm doing them better than what I was doing. Dead lifts went well and adjusting my grip based on the video blu posted, my hands didn't get torn up like they did last week. I might have overdone the overhead shoulder press on the last set as I felt my form go to crap on the last 2, but something to learn from and improve.

I'm really liking the rotation you put together for me, Blu. I used to think I had to hit every machine, and didn't do any warmup sets, but now I'm more focused, feel like the quality of my workout has improved, and the fatigue afterwards isn't as bad because I'm not making my muscles go from 0 to 60 like I used to.

Great time at the gym tonight (never thought I'd say that). Felt like I had really good form on my squats, and based on some discussion last week about high bar vs low bar, I switched to high bar (had been doing low bar), and I have to say it feels like I'm doing them better than what I was doing. Dead lifts went well and adjusting my grip based on the video blu posted, my hands didn't get torn up like they did last week. I might have overdone the overhead shoulder press on the last set as I felt my form go to crap on the last 2, but something to learn from and improve.

I'm really liking the rotation you put together for me, Blu. I used to think I had to hit every machine, and didn't do any warmup sets, but now I'm more focused, feel like the quality of my workout has improved, and the fatigue afterwards isn't as bad because I'm not making my muscles go from 0 to 60 like I used to.

My trainer said that he usually sees people prefer one or the other between high and low bar.

I squat better with high bar as well. It's just more comfortable. I alternate between those and front squats. Front squats are absolute murder.

Felt like I had really good form on my squats, and based on some discussion last week about high bar vs low bar, I switched to high bar (had been doing low bar), and I have to say it feels like I'm doing them better than what I was doing.

It's your routine my man. I just shed some light for you. If I can ask, what makes the high bar feel better?

Biomchanically speaking, low bar will engage your hips more and allow you to move more weight, but that doesn't mean I'm going to shame you for high bar squatting.

My trainer said that he usually sees people prefer one or the other between high and low bar.

I squat better with high bar as well. It's just more comfortable. I alternate between those and front squats. Front squats are absolute murder.
Low bar, hips and posterior chain. Allows for most weight to be moved.

High bar, more quads, less posterior chain and hips. Moves less weight than low bar position

Front squats, almost all quads, very little posterior chain. Lowest amount of weight moved of 3 main squat variations

This is from 'Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training Third Edition":
latest

Just for anybody following along

He helped me simplify my routine as well and it really did get me more focused and motivated. I hit it hard and fast and get out which I really like. Keep it going dude!

He helped me simplify my routine as well and it really did get me more focused and motivated. I hit it hard and fast and get out which I really like. Keep it going dude!
What's your weight up to now?

Low bar, hips and posterior chain. Allows for most weight to be moved.

High bar, more quads, less posterior chain and hips. Moves less weight than low bar position

Front squats, almost all quads, very little posterior chain. Lowest amount of weight moved of 3 main squat variations

This is from 'Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training Third Edition":
latest

Just for anybody following along

Yeah, because we throw the kettlebell around for one of our workouts every week, and that's a lot of posterior chain work, he's fine with me going high bar they because my form is better there.

Front squats are also going to hit the core/abs a bit more. Or at least they feel that way.

Yeah, because we throw the kettlebell around for one of our workouts every week, and that's a lot of posterior chain work, he's fine with me going high bar they because my form is better there.

Front squats are also going to hit the core/abs a bit more. Or at least they feel that way.
My meaningless opinion, you put 175% of your body weight on your shoulders and keep yourself standing, your core is gonna get worked.

Body weight or lifting weight?
One will follow the other. What's your body weight? Getting that up will help get your tonnage under the bar up

It's your routine my man. I just shed some light for you. If I can ask, what makes the high bar feel better?

Biomchanically speaking, low bar will engage your hips more and allow you to move more weight, but that doesn't mean I'm going to shame you for high bar squatting.
I feel like it is easier to keep the bar over my feet and it feels more natural than low bar. Also, video I watched said low bar is basically using same muscles as dead lift so it was like doubling up.

I feel like it is easier to keep the bar over my feet and it feels more natural than low bar. Also, video I watched said low bar is basically using same muscles as dead lift so it was like doubling up.
Yes and no on the same muscles. Very similar muscles groups, but not identical. the biggest consideration for me, I train under the general goal to lift the most weight possible. Low bar allows me to do that. I'm not worried about hypertrophy (size/aesthetics), it's ok if people are.

Also, to be noted, once your progress slows down, when you cant finish your 3 sets of 5 reps with a heavier weight than the session before, then we can mix in high bar and low bar for recovery.

One will follow the other. What's your body weight? Getting that up will help get your tonnage under the bar up
I weighed myself the other morning and was 177 something. It was about a 2lb gain from a bit over a week ago. Going slowly but steady and I really feel like im getting stronger. Adding a bit more weight each week hasn't been too much of an issue and I look at that like I'm doing something right haha I hope. My goal starting was to at least bench my body weight and I'm up to 140 (3x10) which for me is good. Haven't done any maxes so idk what id do there. My deads and squats are crazy weak but I've only been doing them a few weeks now after you got me focusing on them so I know they'll progress. Having you narrow down my list helps me think I can continue to do it for the long haul to reach my goals. I heard a lot of people get burned out after they don't see massive gains immediately so I'm confident this is something I can stick with and grow!

I weighed myself the other morning and was 177 something. It was about a 2lb gain from a bit over a week ago. Going slowly but steady and I really feel like im getting stronger. Adding a bit more weight each week hasn't been too much of an issue and I look at that like I'm doing something right haha I hope. My goal starting was to at least bench my body weight and I'm up to 140 (3x10) which for me is good. Haven't done any maxes so idk what id do there. My deads and squats are crazy weak but I've only been doing them a few weeks now after you got me focusing on them so I know they'll progress. Having you narrow down my list helps me think I can continue to do it for the long haul to reach my goals. I heard a lot of people get burned out after they don't see massive gains immediately so I'm confident this is something I can stick with and grow!
Do not. I cannot mean it more, do not max out.

Also, tone the reps down on the bench. 3x10 is crazy lots. Get strong with 3x5s.

Do not. I cannot mean it more, do not max out.

Also, tone the reps down on the bench. 3x10 is crazy lots. Get strong with 3x5s.
Ok, yeah most of the time if not always I don't have a spotter so I go with a weight I feel confident in getting to 10, but I'll totally give that 3x5 a go and go a bit heavier. Id feel confident doing that.

Ok, yeah most of the time if not always I don't have a spotter so I go with a weight I feel confident in getting to 10, but I'll totally give that 3x5 a go and go a bit heavier. Id feel confident doing that.
Is there a usable power rack near by? Also, if you're ever not sure, you have to rack the bar early. The bench press can kill you. If you want to give a heavy weight a go, take the collars off the bar so you can dump the weights. It will make a terrible racket, but you will be alive.

Is there a usable power rack near by? Also, if you're ever not sure, you have to rack the bar early. The bench press can kill you. If you want to give a heavy weight a go, take the collars off the bar so you can dump the weights. It will make a terrible racket, but you will be alive.
Yes sir and I do use it sometimes depending on how busy things are. Oh and definitely before id come close to failure I'd rack it because Im conscious of that and totally don't want to die lol. Another reason I'm hoping to score this setup we talked about earlier so I can have exactly the setup I want WHEN I want. I go to a decent sized gym but unfortunately in this smaller area it's the best one around and freaking everybody seems to be there at certain times lol. Im guilty of leaving that space available for the advanced guys and I know that probably isn't right lol thanks for the tip tho that could absolutely be a life saver

My meaningless opinion, you put 175% of your body weight on your shoulders and keep yourself standing, your core is gonna get worked.

I can get behind this reasoning.

Heading out now to get my workout in. Gonna try 3x5 this time at a bit heavier

Barbell bench
Romanian deads
Squats (regular? Don't know the types)
Weighed dips
Barbell curls
Planks

Heading out now to get my workout in. Gonna try 3x5 this time at a bit heavier

Barbell bench
Romanian deads
Squats (regular? Don't know the types)
Weighed dips
Barbell curls
Planks
Squat first. other than that. Have fun.

Also, squat types, if the bar is in front of your head, it's a front squat. If the bar is on top of your traps, it's high bar. If it's under the spine of your scapula on top of your rear delts it's low bar.

Also, squat types, if the bar is in front of your head, it's a front squat. If the bar is on top of your traps, it's high bar. If it's under the spine of your scapula on top of your rear delts it's low bar.
Just curious, why squat first? Why does order matter?

Just curious, why squat first? Why does order matter?
It's funny, because I wonder the same. But from everything I have read from accomplished lifters, your squat session will be better if it's first.

I admit, it's pure broscience.

Didn't see this till now but I ended up squatting second. Went a little heavier than usual and did 3x8, but now I have an.even better benchmark to go off and can add a bit more comfortably to do 3x5 I think. Was about 45 mins of pretty intense workouts and I really like that!

Didn't see this till now but I ended up squatting second. Went a little heavier than usual and did 3x8, but now I have an.even better benchmark to go off and can add a bit more comfortably to do 3x5 I think. Was about 45 mins of pretty intense workouts and I really like that!
As it gets harder, it's ok to rest for 6, 8, or even 10 minutes between work sets on the big heavies (squats, bench, deads)

As it gets harder, it's ok to rest for 6, 8, or even 10 minutes between work sets on the big heavies (squats, bench, deads)
Right on, I'll remember that or likely it'll remind me as I'm beat haha. On another note I feel like an assclown but I was putting a plate back on the rack and somehow I hit my knuckle perfectly on the corner of the stand and it tore my knuckle right off lol did I mention I have sissy hands and I'm not talking just the bottom haha. A bit of cleanup was in order my knuckle is so damn sore. Id imagine toddlers and hand models have this problem.......

That's what I get for not wearing my man gloves at the time lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back