The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Played 18 today, but what really stood out is the practice I have been putting in around the greens is paying off. Draining 6-10 footers all day, and you know you are putting well when everyone in the group is pissed that you keep draining them.

Long iron play, and building more club head speed is definitely a need for me. Seems like I am needing to pull more and more club for the distances lately.

After struggling for a little over a month with my wedges and irons I had a breakthrough at the range today. Finally got myself to slow down and while there is still some improvement needed, the difference was night and day. I actually have some confidence in my game for the first time since the end of June.

Got out to the range this morning. It was actually comfortable outside. Hit balls for about an hour--worked on alignment and left feeling pretty good about things.

I had a nice practice round this morning. Spent some time trying different shots into greens and dropped a bunch of balls into bunkers on 9, firming up technique. I also worked on streamlining my putting pre-shot routine.

So after yesterday's abysmal round with my driver, I went to the range after work today to try and figure out what's going on. As soon as I set up, I realized that I wasn't setting up properly at all yesterday. I was reverting back to my old set up and swing when on the course. Setting up with the proper position we worked on at my lessons immediately paid off today. I'm really disappointed in myself, but I had to put the driver away when all it was, was that I wasn't properly doing what I learned my lesson.

Getting back to the correct set up in ball position lead to a few pushes right, but the vast majority of driver shots were decent straight draws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So after yesterday's abysmal round with my driver, I went to the range after work today to try and figure out what's going on. As soon as I set up, I realized that I wasn't setting up properly at all yesterday. I was reverting back to my old set up and swing when on the course. Setting up with the proper position we worked on at my lessons immediately paid off today. I'm really disappointed in myself, but I had to put the driver away when all it was, was that I wasn't properly doing what I learned my lesson.

Getting back to the correct set up in ball position lead to a few pushes right, but the vast majority of driver shots were decent straight draws.

God to hear you got it worked out, I could see you were frustrated but I was in no place to give advice based upon my driver performance.

God to hear you got it worked out, I could see you were frustrated but I was in no place to give advice based upon my driver performance.

And that was much appreciated, believe me. Just one of those things where you're thinking about scoring & exact ball placement, and the setup/swing changes go away because they're not secondary yet.

You and I WILL have at least one round this year where I can hit my driver!!!

With the struggles I've been having lately with the driver, when our 9 got rained out tonight, I stopped by a range away from the storm and worked on my driver with a small bucket. I figured out that I was setting up way too open, and that I was trying to swing way too hard. I started out hitting a few 9 irons to get the feel of square shoulders with center ball position. I then set up with my nine iron with a ball at center and a ball at my left heel. Really helped me feel what square shoulders are with the ball that far forward.

I think I've been swinging too hard lately, and that seemed to be a function of my swing getting too long. I did a few drills with a koozie under my right armpit, which I felt helped shorten up the swing and kept my arms in a good position. Hit a number of great drives with that drill. I broke out the swing caddy to get some swing speed and smash numbers. I just have to accept that I am a 100 mph swinger. Trying to swing faster just isn't going to work right now, and something I could try to improve in the future. Saw really good smash number but for a few very bad mishits.

51928f43be2752dae51698b9383bf485.jpg

A little heel side on my contact, but that is something I can live with.

With the Gauntlet coming up, I've been focusing so much on short game that I've neglected the tee game a bit. Felt good to get a good session in to work on the fundamentals. I'm feeling better about where I stand now.

I was hitting some nice balls, and then started (unknowingly) trying to crush balls with my 5-iron. Sure enough, balls start flying right and left. My solution is to swing harder.

The course marshall sees me hitting balls and yells "what in the world happened to the guy with the smooth fluid swing?"

I had no idea I was trying to crush it until I heard him say that.

My swing (and I suspect a lot of other people have the same issue) goes to crap when I start swinging for extra power. Yet, knowing this, I can't stop myself sometimes. I know I hit the ball further when I'm smooth...but sometimes, another irrational part of my brain absolutely takes over, leading to nothing but frustration.

Had back to back really really good days on the range. Today was with Maddog and he looked good. Gave him a couple little drills to work on and he started striping the ball especially with the driver.

My ball striking was very, very good. I can't tell you why, maybe the length of the club or weight, but I am in love with my 5 iron right now. I can't do anything wrong with that club. I have the most confidence in that club right now than any other. And I was hitting just about everything well!

Stopped in for a quick swing check, late yesterday I was struggling with the driver on the range. It was pointed out to me that my alignment was "horrible". Feet were crazy open. So I touched on it late last night, but I wanted to hit it quick to make sure it was still fresh inside the squirrel cage I call a brain. Alignment rods were key to making sure I stayed true to my target. ,I started striping the driver again. But damn if you wouldn't know it. The better it got the harder I wanted to nut one. Swing got a little silly till I backs down to the wedges and went back with a Freddie Couples smooth mental picture. Damn game

Stopped in for a quick swing check, late yesterday I was struggling with the driver on the range. It was pointed out to me that my alignment was "horrible". Feet were crazy open. So I touched on it late last night, but I wanted to hit it quick to make sure it was still fresh inside the squirrel cage I call a brain. Alignment rods were key to making sure I stayed true to my target. ,I started striping the driver again. But damn if you wouldn't know it. The better it got the harder I wanted to nut one. Swing got a little silly till I backs down to the wedges and went back with a Freddie Couples smooth mental picture. Damn game

Game of opposites right!

JM

Played 8 holes of back 9 at the home course before darkness chased me away. Bogeyed 10, par 11, birdy 12, par 13, par 14, par 15, bogey 16, par 17. 3 birdy putts just sliding past the hole. Finally starting to have confidence in driver again!

Went to the range tonight and was hitting everything very straight. I was working on trying to flight the ball more right to left again but I'll take straight.

Played a practice 9 at the local goat track. After starting out +5 through the first 4 holes I remembered a discussion I had with Jimmy (six4three5) on tempo last Sunday. Anyways, started saying "God save the Queen" during my swing and went -1 over the last 5 holes. Thanks Trout Bum :)

Took a long lunch today since I had a big hole on my schedule after a meeting cancelled last minute yesterday and hit a small bucket, taking my time going up and down the bag. My irons were once again pretty solid when I focused on the weight shift to start the downswing.

Driver was another story, after having it at the range the other day, it was gone again today. I kept working on having the ball a bit further back, not swinging out of my shoes & feeling like my hands weren't doing anything on the downswing, but the hooks were back again. I know I can do it, just need more work.

Got in an early morning range session. Was okay ball striking, but the swing felt lazy. A little worn down from visiting family, so that may have contributed to it.

02e7cab309dd416879f2b1a665da5f5b.jpg

Worked on the 9-3 drill.

Man that is a really challenging drill to get used to.

Previously when I've tried it on my follow through I finish at 10 o'clock. After awhile I get frustrated and change to simply a 9am-10pm drill.

Today, I stuck it out with 60 balls before starting to get comfortable with it (hitting only my 56).

Man, I am struggling with a loss of distance with my irons. Have never been a long hitter, but I swear I am almost 2 clubs shorter than I was last year. I need to figure something out quick, season is winding down, and I want to make championship flight in the year end tourney.....

Serious work needs to be done these next 3 weeks!

Day 2 (of 7) of working only on the 9-3 drill with my 56. Easier today, however still doesn't feel like I can ever relax during the swing.

After a dreadful 7 days of wedge play, I called my instructor and got an hour session today.
Turns out I was using too much wrist action, which resulted in either fat or thin shots.
Took the wrists out of my short chip shots, with much better results with 54 and 60 deg wedges.
Hope it holds thru the weekend - lots of golf over the next 4 days!!

Such a good day practicing today. In the afternoon I went to the range with my wife and was hitting the ball rather well. Driver was under control which was awesome. Played through some holes at Dubsdread in my head too. Then we spent some time at the short game area working on chips and pitches. I'm much more comfortable with the high shot than when I started working on it. Got out to the putting green later this evening and did a clock drill until I sank 25 in a row. Got up into the high teens a few times and then missed, so it was a bit frustrating. Found my best results when I just lined up and quickly stroked it in. Then I worked on some lag putting, putting 24 of 25 inside of 3 feet. Good work coming into one week out from the Gauntlet.

Went to the range today to toy with my two driver shafts. I was getting left to right ball flight on everything; it was driving me nuts! I finally figured out I was lined up way left where I was aiming so the path was decent. I started lining up right and was hitting it great. Still have no idea what driver shaft is better like though.

Two range sessions today. First one was not good for most of it. Was a medium ball and since I hadn't touched my clubs in just over a week I needed to get some practice in before playing tomorrow. Tempo was way off and as a result was coming out of my spine angle and balls were going on every direction.

headed back out for another session after dinner. Thanks to a top from the panda man I was able to have a much better session and was able to make some adjustments. Seems like it's harder to,get things going right again than it is to lose it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back