Wife wants to start playing... About the clubs

YetiLooper

Reaction score
Handicap
My wife has decided to take up the game after a 16 year lay off, well not really a layoff she played with me a handful of times back in the day. Anyway she doesn't have clubs. I', not a huge fan of buying used sets, I might take a look around, but I also know my wife will want new. My instinct is to get her a half set by Tour Edge or Strata by Callaway. I figure if she really gets into it and enjoys it then we can replace irons or woods etc... bit by bit eventually. What other suggestions might you guys have?

Callaway Solaire womens clubs. Buy her clubs MADE for women, not just mens clubs with ladies shafts.

Ohh absolutely, she swings the club fast but still needs clubs suited for her. The Solaires are a little more than I want to budget at this point, but are a solid option.

check out Wilson, they have good starter sets possibly in your budget

Ask yourself this.
You are taking up the game, what would you buy yourself?
Then let her choose from that same list.

Ask yourself this.
You are taking up the game, what would you buy yourself?
Then let her choose from that same list.
So my old Chi Chi Rodriguez Persimmon Woods and Blades?

So my old Chi Chi Rodriguez Persimmon Woods and Blades?

You take 10 years off from the game. You decide to give it a run again. What would you buy? Would it be a boxed set? Or would you go for something you think would help you a bit after some research? Same should go with the better half.

Joking JB, joking! My 1st instincts was the Cobra Bio Cell full set for around $800. Part of the issue is I'm not sure how serious she is going to take it. Just going out and playing 3-4 times a year she would be fine with like a Wilson set, but if she is wanting to take lessons and play a couple times a month then I can probably talk her into.A larger budget for gear.

Both our kids started this year too so I know a large part of her interest is as family fun time together.

Good plan. How about letting her use your clubs for a bit and see how much she likes them.

Few years back i helped my mom piece together a set of mostly women's xhot stuff and she really enjoyed them. Bet they could be had for super cheap now

Good plan. How about letting her use your clubs for a bit and see how much she likes them.
Well she's 5'3" and I'm 6'1". She's never had lessons and maybe played 10 times total so she's a complete beginner. She asked about playing my MacGregor 1025MB's though so maybe she's ready to game it up, lol.

Of course if I get in the Granddaddy I could probably find budget to Callaway her out completely.

Well she's 5'3" and I'm 6'1". She's never had lessons and maybe played 10 times total so she's a complete beginner. She asked about playing my MacGregor 1025MB's though so maybe she's ready to game it up, lol.
You will be fine with a women's set of irons. My wife is 5'10 and I found out the hard way that the stock shaft length is too short in the ladies sets. She "borrowed" my C100s until I can purchase another set for her.

Wilson Staff D100s or Cleveland Altitudes would both be great choices. The D200s have been on the shelves for awhile so you should be able to find a great deal on the D100s.

You will be fine with a women's set of irons. My wife is 5'10 and I found out the hard way that the stock shaft length is too short in the ladies sets. She "borrowed" my C100s until I can purchase another set for her.

Wilson Staff D100s or Cleveland Altitudes would both be great choices. The D200s have been on the shelves for awhile so you should be able to find a great deal on the D100s.

Another vote for the The Cleveland 588 Altitudes I have never found any beginer that couldn't get the ball in the air and in the general direction with the Altitudes and the 588 fairways are easy to hit also. as for the driver the 588 Altitude is solid also. And they can all be picked up for next to nothing now.

All I can say is first hand knowledge that when my wife decided to start playing again after stopping a few years, I bought her a cheap box set of Nicklaus ladies clubs, which were the same heads as Nicklaus men's clubs, but with softer shafts and small grips. She really struggled with them.

I then traded them for the first Callaway Solaire set, I think just the 8 or 9 club set and it turned her game around. The clubs were designed for high HC ladies, with shorter shafts, lots of offset in the irons, hybrids, woods etc. I then traded up last year to the new release of the clubs in the full 14 club set and again it was a new game for her. The clubs were that much better.

I'm just a fan of purpose built clubs for high handicap ladies. If it is no fun, they will struggle and stop playing. I enjoy playing with my wife so I'm willing to do what I can to make it as easy for her as possible, and she has proved to me that the clubs do matter in this case.

I bit the bullet and invested in a set of Cobra baffled XL hybrids and irons plus a pretty new ogio standbbag for her.

I bit the bullet and invested in a set of Cobra baffled XL hybrids and irons plus a pretty new ogio standbbag for her.

It's always wise to invest in what makes the wife happy.

If you haven't looked at them or built your own clubs yet I would definitely check out Golfworks. They have an awesome line of women's clubs and you can add single clubs or whole sets as she goes. Not to mention building her clubs for her will give you a look into club design and building that is very rewarding. Plus they are dirt cheap but high in quality. Worst case if you are not mechanical, they can assemble the clubs for you at a minimal fee.
Golfworks.com

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I've built some sets over the years. I just don't have the time to do so anymore. We own 2 businesses one of which has 3 locations plus does traveling stuff too.

You've done the right thing. Invested a reasonable amount of money now, they'll last her forever if shes only playing a small amount of rounds a year. Better than throwing away money on a cheap set and then she getting so interested it costs you another set in 12 months time.

Back