Which New irons??

DeanT

Reaction score
Handicap
Right,

I am just back from the golf club after testing a few new irons.. Its finally time for me to chop in my Mizuno MP58's for something newer with a little more forgiveness for the Winter & in general really.
I played Nine holes yesterday with a friends Taylormade TP MC irons and loved them, almost went home and booked my fitting. But I thought I might just go and test a few others before I make a final decision.

Today I tested the Nike Vapor Pro Combo 7 iron, Taylormade TP MC 7 iron & a Titleist AP2 714 7 iron.

Out of the 3 I kept on going back to the Nike, which surprised me after having my heart almost set on the Taylormade MC's

I found the NIke very easy to hit and it felt lovely off the face.
Is it just me or are the nike irons more forgiving?

Any advice on other irons to test in this range before I take the plunge would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Dean

I'm also in the market and hit a few on the range yesterday. Given the other you have on the list I'd certainly try the Srixon z 745's. They really surprised me with fantastic feel and a great ball flight

Ping s55, pong ie1, Srixon z545 or 745, new mizuno mp5 or 25.

To be honest, I've hit all that you mentioned, Pings, and the Srixons as well. In my fittings and owning some of the sets mentioned, in all honesty, none were better than Callaway Apex. None... Forgiveness, feel, distance, little offset, etc. In my personal opinion, they are the best irons still in the market. You can also get them "like new" from the Callaway Preowned site and have them shafted and made to your specs much cheaper than full retail. Anyway, I say Apex all day!

The Nike VPC are definitely more forgiving than the MCs. I've gamed both, the Nike are actually back in the bag for the last 5 rounds, and they're do good irons. Not the most forgiving out there, but definitely moreso than the 745. They're also not the same profile as, say, the Apex which are also phenomenal irons, but they keep a. Very good amount of ball speed retention for an iron in that tweener class of Players/GI.

There are dozen's of great sets out there for every skill level of golfer. I switched this year to my first set of GI irons after playing muscle/cavity back blades for 37 years. My Callaway XR Pro's certainly don't feel as good as my Wilson Staff FG V2's, but I'm never switching back because the XR's are so forgiving and long. It's fun to hit a high soft 5 iron 200 yards.

If you have the chance you'll definitely want to check out the FG Tour V4s. Phenomenal set and a great shaft pairing in the DG Pro.
They will check every box for you.

new titleist irons will be out in another 6-8 weeks. also look at mizuno MP-25 and jpx 850 forged.

Is this true regarding titleist? I hope so, but my local shop told me spring. He said titleist was going to try and spread this out a little more. I hope a fall release is what we get.

sorry to hijack the thread.

OP, the irons you listed are great. I would just recommend hitting each that interests you several times! Good luck and have fun!

Nike Vapor pro combo
Ping S 55
Wilson Staff Fg Tour V4.

I am seriously thinking about new irons. I bought clubs off of Amazon, Callaway Razr X, which were cheap to get me back into the game but I really want to see what club fitting will do for me. Would like to stick with Callaway.

To be honest, I've hit all that you mentioned, Pings, and the Srixons as well. In my fittings and owning some of the sets mentioned, in all honesty, none were better than Callaway Apex. None... Forgiveness, feel, distance, little offset, etc. In my personal opinion, they are the best irons still in the market. You can also get them "like new" from the Callaway Preowned site and have them shafted and made to your specs much cheaper than full retail. Anyway, I say Apex all day!

thanks for all the replies.
The Callaway Apex irons did slip mind in all honesty but will definitely have to give them a go before I make a final decision..

Oh also has anyone tried the Taylormade tour preferred CB irons? is there much difference in look down by the ball? I hate a thick top line. I would have taken a look today but they had sold their last set.

Oh also has anyone tried the Taylormade tour preferred CB irons? is there much difference in look down by the ball? I hate a thick top line. I would have taken a look today but they had sold their last set.
They set up well but the entire tour preferred line was pretty blah performance wise, not bad, but the best thing about them were aesthetics.

Yeah this is true, its probably what keeps me tempted to put them in the bag. How about the Bridgestone J40 CB irons? A little hard to come by over here.. but I'm sure I could get a set if I really wanted to.

Yeah this is true, its probably what keeps me tempted to put them in the bag. How about the Bridgestone J40 CB irons? A little hard to come by over here.. but I'm sure I could get a set if I really wanted to.
Now those and the DPC are to this day phenomenal irons. I would lean heavy to the DPC though. Loved those irons.

JPX 850 Forged are excellent choices for a forgiving but fun playable iron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've hit just about every iron out there and always come back to my Pro Combos. Can't go wrong with Nike's irons.

I'm a bit bias and would suggest Titleist CB714. The AP2 714 are also great but like the looks of the CB irons more.

I've tried most of the current irons on the market. I found the RSI1 and Nike Vapor Speed irons to be the best combination of forgiveness, distance, and not too thick a top line or sole. The Callaway Apex feel good off the face but not as forgiving or as long.

I think you have to throw the new J15 irons in there as well. Too many good reviews for them not to be a great iron....

I've hit the Apex, XR Pro and the AP2 irons with the Apex and AP2 irons being really nice. The XR Pro was probably more forgiving on my miss, which is a toe shot but are clicky for a lack of a better real word...

The J15 is a little more angle to them like a XR Pro with the two A clubs being more subtle and rounded....

-David

Last edited:

I embarked on the same project about 6 months ago. My finalists were TaylorMade TP CB, Titleist AP, Callaway XR and Apex. The tipping point for the CB's was price. I bought them via the TM website. No complaints about performance after 50+ rounds. If price wasn't a factor, then one of the Callaway set would be in the bag. Good luck.

Back