2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
First time at the gym tonight since tearing the meniscus almost 3 years ago. Time to stop being lazy. 20 mins on the bike then low weights on the machines for another 15 mins. Starting slow.

I hate wearing this thing, but it is what it is.

b4d3da9bf8e4afc068b9ab166686bdc6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally my back felt ready to go so today I started light and did 3 sets of 15 Romanian Deadlift. Real light weight nowhere near pushing the limits, I don't want to push it too hard yet. It's been 10 months trying to get the health back in my back, wouldn't want to get jacked up again.

Finally my back felt ready to go so today I started light and did 3 sets of 15 Romanian Deadlift. Real light weight nowhere near pushing the limits, I don't want to push it too hard yet. It's been 10 months trying to get the health back in my back, wouldn't want to get jacked up again.
The rehab youre doing will help. In a big way.

I basically spend a minimum of an hour a day working on stretching and flexibility. Also been doing body weight squats which have been helping tremendously with hip flexibility.

I basically spend a minimum of an hour a day working on stretching and flexibility. Also been doing body weight squats which have been helping tremendously with hip flexibility.
Get some one - side work in as well, please. Single leg deads is a great one. Also assisted pistols and cossacs.

Im going to have to check this out

I have been slacking so far this week due to getting ready for travel. Can't let that happen any longer. Circuits after work, and the running shoes are coming with on the trip.

Get some one - side work in as well, please. Single leg deads is a great one. Also assisted pistols and cossacs.
Good rehab movements.

Just got the SS app and playing around with it a little. I love all the information it has on it.

Blu, looking at the SS program, looks like they want squats and deadlifts every time with bench and press alternating, what's the reason for deviating from that on my program? Not asking to have you justify yourself, but trying to understand as much as I can about why you set it up the way you did.

So apparently a bunch of the guys at work got a great deal on a boot camp at a local place for about 5 bucks a session for 6 weeks run by an ex marine. Other than the fact it's at 5:30 in the morning it probably would be good for me. My biggest obstacle had always been structure and this seems to solve it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's a good question for everyone, do you have to finish all your sets for that exercise before moving on to the next or do you skip around. Obviously still resting in between but for example do you do all 3 sets of bench before moving on or do you do 1 squat, 1 bench, 1 dead set before circling back around?

Here's a good question for everyone, do you have to finish all your sets for that exercise before moving on to the next or do you skip around. Obviously still resting in between but for example do you do all 3 sets of bench before moving on or do you do 1 squat, 1 bench, 1 dead set before circling back around?
I always finish my sets before moving on. In my mind there is no sense in tiring yourself out for your max set (third set) by rotating through.

I always finish each exercise before moving on. I don't want to tie up multiple stations or load/unload multiple stations at a time.

Just got the SS app and playing around with it a little. I love all the information it has on it.

Blu, looking at the SS program, looks like they want squats and deadlifts every time with bench and press alternating, what's the reason for deviating from that on my program? Not asking to have you justify yourself, but trying to understand as much as I can about why you set it up the way you did.
Fantastic question. Starting Strength and Mark Rippetoe specialize is under weight novice training. Novice doesn't mean "new" it means ability to adapt rapidly. Meaning add 5 to 10 lbs every session. you are a novice when it comes rate of adaption. But your goal isn't to add weight.

After a few weeks of the base SS program, power cleans getting added in and alternated with deadlifts.

That's why I structured your program as I did. Dumbbell jump shrugs are not as effective as power cleans. But they are easier to coach without me being there.

I gotta get back in the gym more consistently. Hopefully this off season I'll make it happen…

Fantastic question. Starting Strength and Mark Rippetoe specialize is under weight novice training. Novice doesn't mean "new" it means ability to adapt rapidly. Meaning add 5 to 10 lbs every session. you are a novice when it comes rate of adaption. But your goal isn't to add weight.

After a few weeks of the base SS program, power cleans getting added in and alternated with deadlifts.

That's why I structured your program as I did. Dumbbell jump shrugs are not as effective as power cleans. But they are easier to coach without me being there.
So in a perfect world if I could learn cleans from either SS videos or a trainer at the gym, would you recommend switching those for jump shrugs or stick with what we've got going?

I always finish each exercise before moving on. I don't want to tie up multiple stations or load/unload multiple stations at a time.
Makes sense, thanks guys. I finish them almost always but occasionally I'll switch around and do a set of curls or dips before going back to squats or deads. Only when things aren't crazy busy of course, which is rare art my gym. Kinda sucks sometimes lol
I always finish my sets before moving on. In my mind there is no sense in tiring yourself out for your max set (third set) by rotating through.

So in a perfect world if I could learn cleans from either SS videos or a trainer at the gym, would you recommend switching those for jump shrugs or stick with what we've got going?
If you were to learn how to do a power clean via the interweb, the Starting Strength app may even have the videos, I would recommend cleans over jump shrugs.

If you can get to Omaha, there is a Starting Strength coach there who can do a far superior job coaching you in person than I can do over tapatalk.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't or can't ask questions. It's just hard for me, or anybody else really, to coach a movement that we can't see.

Finish all sets before moving. Especially when training. If I were prepping for the CrossFit Games, different story.

Got back under the bar for squats for the first time in... 2 months? As such, didn't go anywhere heavy - started with a set of 8 at about 100lb and then 150 for 3 working sets. Mixed in some overhead lunges and dumbbell bench press, then a conditioning circuit. I was actually surprised with how well the squats felt. I've been doing a lot of kettlebell work, so it's not like I haven't been squatting at all, but it's been front squats. Felt good to be back with the bar again.

Finish all sets before moving. Especially when training. If I were prepping for the CrossFit Games, different story.
Hahaha and we all know the crossfit truth. Like shot putting a d in your a.

If you were to learn how to do a power clean via the interweb, the Starting Strength app may even have the videos, I would recommend cleans over jump shrugs.

If you can get to Omaha, there is a Starting Strength coach there who can do a far superior job coaching you in person than I can do over tapatalk.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't or can't ask questions. It's just hard for me, or anybody else really, to coach a movement that we can't see.
I'll scour the web's and SS for videos. Started watching the videos on the website and there is a ton of great information on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back