Removing paint fill, thoughts?

Removing paint fill, thoughts?

• Yes

Votes: 21 48.8%
  • No

Votes: 22 51.2%

• Total voters
An easy way to fill engraving or machine markings is with crayons and a heat gun. It works really well and provides a very clean look and is WAY easier than using testers paint and a tooth pick.

I can provide pics if you like.

I'd love to see pics as well!! Would a hair dryer work as well?

Yea a hair dryer will work but it takes a bit more time and a little more elbow grease.

1. clean the area thuroughly with NON-chlorinated brake cleaner. The NON chlorinated part is very very important.

2. dry area.

3. choose color from your childs crayon box... lol

4. start to heat area where color is to be applied. time will vary depending on heating device.

5. With heat still blowing on area start dabbing crayon in as it warms you will see it liquefy and start to flow out. Once flowing fill completely fill the area (overfill is fine and I actually recommend a light overfill.)

Caution, if you are doing this close to the hozzel on a club be careful not to over heat the area and soften the epoxy holding the club to shaft.

6, let surface cool for a bit, while it is still warm (NOT HOT) spray a soft cloth with the NON-chlorinated brake clean now rub the excess wax off. It will smear a bit at first, don't worry as it will clean right up.

The wax will stay put for a good long while, if it does come out apply heat and let it flow back out. I use this method quite often for our customers and they love it. Have fun and enjoy.

The following pic is not golf related but it does show a very good example of color fill using crayons, this one is a color called "greenyellow". I really like how these turned out!

36778_402866339579_227625094579_4461343_2629834_n.jpg

36778_402866344579_227625094579_4461344_926304_n.jpg

36778_402866359579_227625094579_4461347_1569380_n.jpg

and just for good measure a little fun with our laser engraver. :alien2:

34461_403618544579_227625094579_4479489_5893410_n.jpg

Wow, what a great ideda Bpipe!! Thats stunning!

Thanks! Though I can not take full credit for it. This little trick has been floating around the firearms world for a while. I do happen to like it when tricks like this cross over to another sector.

Thanks! Though I can not take full credit for it. This little trick has been floating around the firearms world for a while. I do happen to like it when tricks like this cross over to another sector.

Its socially irresponsible to let anyone else get this sucker.

So by just dabbing a little bit of crayon it will melt and flow out towards unfilled areas? What is the break cleaner for at the beginning?

you need to heat the surface, and the crayon and it will melt in. Think of it as very low temp soldering.

The cleaner in the beginning is to get all the oils and dirt and any kind of residue off so the wax can stick and flow nicely.

Can I use nail polish remover like I had been doing before for this process as well?

It should work to clean them no prob. however I am not sure if it will remove the excess wax after you refill.

Easy way to find out would be put the remover on a cloth and rub a crayon, if the color comes off the crayon easily it should clean well at the end.

I wish I could see the point about worrying about the cosmetics.
But I don't.
Voted no because of it but could have just as easily voted yes since it makes no difference in my simple world.

But I don't.
Voted no because of it but could have just as easily voted yes since it makes no difference in my simple world.

LoL :D

But I don't.

Eh, thats like saying you don't care what your house looks like, as long as its functional. You don't care about your car as long as it gets from a to b. This could all be true, but that seems pretty boring to me.

I realize these are exaggerated examples for the sake of making a point.

Just used some nail polish remover on my Nike VR wedge and a my 9 and PW. They look great plain!

So after the crayon is dabbed in and dry, wouldnt it be really easy for it to come right off?

It stays in place really well. Guys used it on pistol slides for 1000's of rounds with no issues.

If the spot you are trying to fill is to large it could come out prematurely.

Remove it TW is a bum anyways!:beat-up:

Yah I've decided I'm gonna keep em and remove all the paintfill cept the club number and I'm gonna leave the black swoosh first and see how it looks
The red in the VR and TW is hideous. And the line between thesole and top edge.

I voted yes, you can always put it back on if you don't like the results.

This is way more of a pain in the a** than I thought it would be

cant stop now?

Actually I never really even got any paint off rofl. Guess I am gonna have to go at it with some sort of pick. I really don't wanna scratch the metal though it kind of defeats the purpose.

just a thought but if your thinking of selling/trading them shouldnt you leave them as is/original?

oh ok in that case the crayon deal looks pretty cool! :)

Back