Pulled the trigger today

Den60

Reaction score
Handicap
13.6 USGA
Sent in a request to be contacted by GolfTEC for a swing analysis and club fitting. I have never been fitted for clubs before. I am thinking right now about getting some new irons but I like the way I'm hitting my driver right now. If they can come up with something much better for me with my hybrids I will consider that, but I really want to get a set of irons fitted for me.

Congrats. Enjoy it.

I did that a few years ago at a local GolfTEC and it was a valuable learning experience. My only complaint was the lack of vendor choices they had at the location I was at and this meant some of the option the computer felt were a good fit weren't there for me to try. Have fun with it!

I'd like to stay with Callaway (I'm loyal to local vendors) and that is one of their vendors. I'm really hitting my Bio Cell driver well and not looking to change that. I am below average height (5'6") so I've always wondered if clubs off the shelf for me may be a bit too long. Have no clue as to what lie angle I should be using and don't know what my swing speed is (I expect somewhere between 85-95). I know that I get plenty of elevation off my irons and while I may push a shot every now and then I don't have a slice (except very occasionally with my driver). I can draw the ball a bit with my irons but very difficult trying to get them to have a decent fade which I think is endemic with game improvement irons. I don't expect any dramatic changes in my swing as I have taken a bit off of it and focused more on tempo.

I'm not unhappy with my Razr X clubs, they got me back to playing again but I bought them off of Amazon without even hitting them. I'd give them to my son but he is left handed. I just was thinking it would be nice to treat myself to this and so many on here have said that a proper fitting is one of the best investments (outside of lessons) you can make in your game.

Set up for 2:30 next Saturday for an iron fitting. I'm very excited.

I had my first fitting just before this season started. I went in with an open mind and not brand specific because this was to be my first "good" name brand set of clubs and I didn't want to limit myself in selection choices. I ended up with a set of PINGs that I liked the best and gave me the best numbers and feel. I am very close to the same stats as you and wondered the same about my old (Walmart style) equipment so the one thing that I believe the new fitted clubs have given me is great confidence in my clubs that I did not have before. I know they fit me and I don't even question the clubs.

Enjoy the session and the new clubs when you get them.

Nicely done, enjoy

I had my first fitting just before this season started. I went in with an open mind and not brand specific because this was to be my first "good" name brand set of clubs and I didn't want to limit myself in selection choices. I ended up with a set of PINGs that I liked the best and gave me the best numbers and feel. I am very close to the same stats as you and wondered the same about my old (Walmart style) equipment so the one thing that I believe the new fitted clubs have given me is great confidence in my clubs that I did not have before. I know they fit me and I don't even question the clubs.

Enjoy the session and the new clubs when you get them.

Yes, I will go in with an open mind as far as club makers go.

Good for you, please keep us posted on how it goes for you!

Sent in a request to be contacted by GolfTEC for a swing analysis and club fitting. I have never been fitted for clubs before. I am thinking right now about getting some new irons but I like the way I'm hitting my driver right now. If they can come up with something much better for me with my hybrids I will consider that, but I really want to get a set of irons fitted for me.

Good choice to go to GolfTec. Hope they can help you!

Getting fitted for irons is the right way to go. You're gonna love em afterwards!

I don't think you're too short for standard clubs. They sell Japanese spec clubs in my country and they're the same length as American spec clubs. At most, maybe half an inch shorter, but let the fitters figure that out for you.

Good luck and enjoy the ride.

I don't think you're too short for standard clubs. They sell Japanese spec clubs in my country and they're the same length as American spec clubs. At most, maybe half an inch shorter, but let the fitters figure that out for you.

Good luck and enjoy the ride.

Don't know but it is always in the back of my mind. The nice thing about a fitting is that you know you are getting clubs to fit your body and your swing.

Good for you, please keep us posted on how it goes for you!

Yep, I will. This is gonna be a long week for me at work and then longer once I get fitted and have to wait for my new clubs. I'm very excited. This is going to be my birthday present to myself this year.

Yep, I will. This is gonna be a long week for me at work and then longer once I get fitted and have to wait for my new clubs. I'm very excited. This is going to be my birthday present to myself this year.

Cool, I just bought myself a new GBB driver for my birthday present. I should have done a full fitting but I am very happy with most of my bag now.

Enjoy it and I am sure you will end up with a set you really like/love.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool, I just bought myself a new GBB driver for my birthday present. I should have done a full fitting but I am very happy with most of my bag now.

Enjoy it and I am sure you will end up with a set you really like/love.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't game an expensive driver but it is working fine for me right now. Once I get some numbers then I can work with my instructor (who is also a club fitter) to see if there is something more I can get from my driver, FW and hybrids. Hell, just knowing what grip size I have will help with future changes to my bag though I don't think I will need larger than standard grips.

Had my fitting today. He asked some questions about what I wanted in a club and I said more consistency and, of course, if that gets me a bit more distance I'd be happy with that.

Need a shaft just slightly shorter than standard (I believe it is 1/4"). Also, he recommended going with a lighter A flex shaft based on my speed and tempo - a small ding to my ego but I have slowed things down a bit recently to gain more consistency. The recommendation was to continue with graphite as my shaft selection. When I mentioned hand surgery I had on my left hand back in 1994 that makes it difficult to fully bend my ring finger he suggested building up the grip at the left hand a tad. The first test club he brought out was the Mizuno JPX EZ. Didn't hit that well at all even after changing out shafts. He then brought out the Mizuno JPX-850 and I hit that much better. He then had the computer recommend 4 clubs and they came back: Mizuno JPX-850, Callaway XR, PING G30 and Callaway Big Bertha.

I hit the Mizuno first (it was a 6I) and hit them pretty good. Next up was the XR (7I) and I hit them a bit better than the Mizuno but both clubs felt pretty closely matched to me but the distance was about the same between the two. I tried the PING (7I) and didn't hit it very well, just felt completely different than the first two clubs. Finally I hit the BB and, while the club is a bit strange to look at at address (it has a big ass and I'm more of a breast man) but I liked the way the club felt better than the XR or the Mizuno. Off center hits felt more muted with it though I know when I catch it on the toe. We let the computer do its analysis and here is what it said in order.

1. XR
2. BB
3. JPX-850
4. G30

We were both a bit surprised because we each thought I hit the BB better. He did say that just because the computer says something it still important to consider how the club actually feels and not just what the numbers say. In looking at the data it was very very close between the two. Distance almost identical in average and longest hit. The BB launched higher and came down steeper about the only big difference between them was in "clustering diameter" and, to be honest, I really wasn't taking the time to line up with anything.

So, I went with the BB 4-GW set. We checked like angle and I need 3[SUP]o[/SUP] flat. I was hitting the BB 17 yards father than my current 7I, more than I expected (the loft of the BB is 2[SUP]o [/SUP]stronger than my Razr X). That will be quite a difference. Decided to bring in a 4I as well.I'm thinking that with fitted irons I should be able to hit my long irons better, especially with the lie angle flatter. He recommended adding in the GW since it is more of a full swing club and with the different, more flexible shaft with my clubs this will make it easier for gapping.

The clubs should be here next week unless they are backordered. I'm very excited.

Back