Golf Now: Why I quit using it.

Space Bandito

Baguette
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
2 Children
When I first started using Golf Now in 2013 I thought it was fantastic. Earn free golf as you play! What could be better?

In 2014 came some changes. Golf Now began a promotion where you would no longer have to pay booking fees ($2.49/person) after you booked 10 rounds - And you would still continue to earn rewards! Also great. The rewards were a little less enticing, but still worth using the site. For example: you no longer earned "free" golf per se, instead earning discounts on "Hot Deals" (which are very excellently explained in Smallville's post: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?67089-PSA-How-GolfNow-works ) and gift cards good for some Cleveland Srixon gear, and occasionally a discount on the Deal Caddy Website.

All still good stuff. With no fees after 10 rounds you're simply receiving free stuff and decent discounts.

As of Jan 2015 it all went down hill. No more were you granted waived booking fees after 10 rounds, or any number of rounds purchased. That irked me enough to write an email to the head of promotions. I never received a response, so I decided to do a little math.

Booking as a single, here's what you're paying IN FEES vs what you're getting in "rewards" for up to 50 rounds booked in a calendar year:

10 rounds: $24.90 = $10 discount on a Hot deal
15 rounds: $37.35 = $40 BOGO Hot Deal
20 rounds: $49.80 = $20 Deal Caddy coupon
30 rounds: $74.70 = $20 Srixon/Cleveland Gift Card
35 rounds: $87.15 = $35 discount on a Hot Deal
40 rounds: $99.60 = $50 Srixon/Cleveland Gift Card
45 rounds: $112.05 = $75 discount on a Hot Deal
50 rounds: $124.50 = $100 Srixon/Cleveland Gift Card

As of 2015 you're essentially paying for the privilege to use Golf Now, paying for your "rewards." Especially if you're someone like me who doesn't play Srixon or Cleveland anything.

If you are like most players and book in groups, here's what it looks like if you're booking a 4 some each time:

10 rounds: 99.60 = $10 discount on a Hot deal
15 rounds: 149.40 = $40 BOGO Hot Deal
20 rounds: 199.20 = $20 Deal Caddy coupon
30 rounds: 298.80 = $20 Srixon/Cleveland Gift Card
35 rounds: 348.60 = $35 discount on a Hot Deal
40 rounds: 398.40 = $50 Srixon/Cleveland Gift Card
45 rounds: 448.20 = $75 discount on a Hot Deal
50 rounds: 498.00 = $100 Srixon/Cleveland Gift Card

Now, not only are you paying to use the site, but you're WAY over paying for your rewards.

Some days the discounts offered on Golf Now do overshadow the fees paid, but it seems pretty rare.

If you're the type who likes to book tee times online, do yourself a favor and save your hard earned money. Book through your course.

Just A Thought.

I only use the site for big discounts. I'll gladly pay the fee and save money versus booking through the course. You have to take advantage of the promo codes.

While I agree it isn't good like it used to be it still saves me money on booking fees. Here's a great example if I were to call Grand Cypress they would charge me $50 but I could often get it for $35. I've asked them if they would just give me the same price and they just tell us no you'd have to do it thru golf now.

Never use other than hot deals.

While I agree it isn't good like it used to be it still saves me money on booking fees. Here's a great example if I were to call Grand Cypress they would charge me $50 but I could often get it for $35. I've asked them if they would just give me the same price and they just tell us no you'd have to do it thru golf now.

Is that for a hot deal? In which case, the money goes directly to GN. If not, that's a pretty good discount, and as I said, there are times where the discount is greater than the total in fees paid - which makes it worth it.

Honestly, I still use it to see whats available in my area, once I have a place selected, I just go through the course's site.

Is that for a hot deal? In which case, the money goes directly to GN. If not, that's a pretty good discount, and as I said, there are times where the discount is greater than the total in fees paid - which makes it worth it.

Honestly, I still use it to see whats available in my area, once I have a place selected, I just go through the course's site.
No not hot deal. It sucks cause sometimes the courses around here are cheaper and sometimes golfnow is cheaper. You just got to get the right one at the right time.

I think it only makes sense for the hot deals. I have gotten to play quite a few courses I wouldn't have normaly played. Heck aa few of them I go to quite often now and book through the club house.

I guess it bugs me so much because from the start it looked to be something great. Usually when things like this get rolling there are benefits, now it seems they're preying on the "lazy" golfer who doesn't want any more than a one stop shop.

I don't know when they were acquired by NBC/Uni, but I wonder if that doesn't have everything to do with it.

I guess it bugs me so much because from the start it looked to be something great. Usually when things like this get rolling there are benefits, now it seems they're preying on the "lazy" golfer who doesn't want any more than a one stop shop.

I don't know when they were acquired by NBC/Uni, but I wonder if that doesn't have everything to do with it.
I'm happily lazy!

I'm sorry, but I don't see a problem with the booking fees because it's not unlike other booking business out there. Ticket sales is one example (Ticket master, etc). They are the middle man and in any line of work, they get a cut (even if it is double dipping here).

As long as the discount+fees is substantially cheaper than the rack rate offered by the course at that time, I am fine with it. Still like to support my local courses though, so if it's comparable I'm just going thru the course. Only use it once a year at most anyways.

Of course you are paying to use it, do you think they would operate at a loss?

You pay for the convenience of going to order one place to search for times vs having to call or go to every courses website. And often the price you pay is quite a bit cheaper than the rack rate even with fees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course you are paying to use it, do you think they would operate at a loss?

Thanks for your thoughtful response. No one said they were operating at a loss. In fact, if you had read either post carefully, you would see that they are clearly making money through fees from anyone who (prior to 2015) booked less than 10 rounds annually, and through the "Hot Deals" where they take 100% of the greens fees.

This is a post about the rewards program, and how we're paying for "rewards," Not Golf Now's business structure.

Thanks for your thoughtful response. No one said they were operating at a loss. In fact, if you had read either post carefully, you would see that they are clearly making money through fees from anyone who (prior to 2015) booked less than 10 rounds annually, and through the "Hot Deals" where they take 100% of the greens fees.

This is a post about the rewards program, and how we're paying for "rewards," Not Golf Now's business structure.
You're always paying for rewards. In everything in business, they aren't just chalking that up as a cost of doing business. You think the company doesn't factor that in to the original cost/partnership and how many people will reach each level?

I used to use them all the time. When they started the Srixon rewards I basically quit using them as often. I enjoyed the previous perks and the newer stuff had zero interest from me.

I don't mind the fees if it is still a substantial savings from other means. The deals are far and few between now so don't use them much anymore.

You're always paying for rewards. In everything in business, they aren't just chalking that up as a cost of doing business. You think the company doesn't factor that in to the original cost/partnership and how many people will reach each level?

Exactly, when I use my gas rewards card they don't give me free gas. I spend money to get the rewards then spend more money to use the rewards. It still saves me money.

No not hot deal. It sucks cause sometimes the courses around here are cheaper and sometimes golfnow is cheaper. You just got to get the right one at the right time.

That is odd. With our course, our online rates mirror that of Golf Now (or are supposed to), except for the hot deals.

Not if you call the course. If you want the online rate, you have to book (but not pay) online.

That is odd. With our course, our online rates mirror that of Golf Now (or are supposed to), except for the hot deals.
Its hit or miss, sometimes GN is better and sometimes the courses are better. Some of the courses when we call will ask what the GN price is and match it and others will tell us to book it thru them.

Not if you call the course. If you want the online rate, you have to book (but not pay) online.

Lots of savings to be had by using golf now here.

I liked it better when I could use my rewards to cover $300 worth of a four person hot deal at TPC Sawgrass. Now I'd get a sleeve of Q-Stars and a Cleveland hat, and $20 off a hot deal (up to $40).

Exactly, when I use my gas rewards card they don't give me free gas. I spend money to get the rewards then spend more money to use the rewards. It still saves me money.

No argument there. I'm saying that, for example, by spending $75 in golf now fees you're earning a $20 gift card. Whereas you could just spend $20 on cleveland srixon gear, and book through the course and save yourself $55. It's a rather costly "reward."

In Scottsdale I booked 4 tee times using golfnow; all four courses had $129 morning, $110 afternoon; one of them was a resort where my father in law is an 'owner" who got a discounted rate of 93 bucks. I used golfnow to play them for under 50 bucks each, including I think 32 bucks for Camelback...if I never get a reward from golfnow again I am fine with that as careful use of their HotDeals makes courses I would not play at full bore playable.

Not for everyone but it definitely worked for me

I guess what I'm getting at is: Last year I was booking 90% through Golf Now because I was getting discounts and earning rewards. Now, the whole paying a lot of money for a reward I probably won't use doesn't make the discount worth it.

In the case that some of you have mentioned where the price is significantly less than the courses posted online rate, I'd be all for saving the cash. But one or two times here and there don't make using the site primarily (like I used to) worth it.

It's very interesting.. I don't think I've ever considered GolfNow for their rewards (although i belong to a course so my use is probably different).

I honestly didn't even know they offered rewards -- I just use it when I'm traveling and hunting for hot deals.

It's very interesting.. I don't think I've ever considered GolfNow for their rewards

Back in 2013, you would earn honest to goodness free golf - like a free $50 round for up to four people (not just Hot Deals) - once you hit certain milestones. It was really great.

What used to be great was when you booked a foursome it counted as 4 bookings, now it's one booking with all the fees.

Back