which fairway wood

jchez444

Reaction score
Handicap
looking to add a 5 wood and a new 3 wood, currently hit the cally xhot 3 wood with ok success but am in need for change. currently looking at the following
exotics xcg7 and the beta model

tm sldr and sldr s
g25
xhot 2
areoburner
has anyone compared these or recommend any others

My favorite right now is the Great Big Bertha, but a lot of the ones on your list are solid too.
The G25 will launch higher than the others on that list in my opinion and the X2Hot and G25 from your list will be the most forgiving.

lots of great options but TEE is tough to beat in my humble opinion, but then I am a bit of a Tour Edge homer

Last edited:
Hands down the Callaway Great Big Bertha is the best fairway I have hit and I have tried just about all of them. I am gaming a 3w set to 16* and a Heavenwood set to 20* best combo I have ever had in the bag.

My favorite right now is the Great Big Bertha, but a lot of the ones on your list are solid too.
The G25 will launch higher than the others on that list in my opinion and the X2Hot and G25 from your list will be the most forgiving.

The X2 Hot was good for me but my XR's are slightly longer and easy to hit. I demoed the Big Bertha on the course and they are very good. I would recommend the BB or the X2 Hot.

I just bought a 5W SLDR after taking it to the range to demo. I was pleasantly surprise by its performance

For the money, the X2 Hot is dang good club with a very good stock shaft.

I'm partial to ping i25 and Adams tight lies. See if you like them.

Give the Callaway Big Bertha V-Series 3 wood at test run. I like the results with this 3 wood and switched to it about 3 months ago. I like the V shape to the bottom, or the sole plate for us older duffers. Bottom reminds me of the old Ginty fairway woods of many years ago.

I am partial to Callaway Fairways over the last year.

If you have trouble elevating and want forgiveness all over the cupface, the Callaway V Series is the ticket - at callawaygolfpreowned

If you want forgiving all over the face, longer heel to toe than the V Series, with a slightly lower launch and less spin, try the Great Big Berthas.

I've owned both.

Have the GBB 3 wd at 16 and 43.25, and 5 wd at 19 and 42.5 in. in Oban Isawa 55 and 65 -- lively feel/sound, very forgiving, easy to elevate for me.

Callaways, I believe, have better tech with the cup face - no welds on the face so the entire face is fairly forgiving.

Just need to find what fits you, whatever maker...

The Titleist 915 fairway wood is awesome. Put a butter swing on it and it launches. I had an R11 3 wood that was easy to hit as well.

I agree with the post above. The Titleist 915 is a very forgiving and works great from the tee or the fairway. I would suggest hitting multiple and finding the correct head, shaft combo.

Callaway are usually the longest fairway in my experience with their cup face technology. X2hot are very forgiving and long, and they can be had for pretty cheap now

Tough to offer any real advice since the OP has told us nothing about himself as a golfer ... speed, ability to hit fairways, etc.

Thank you guys for all ur input. I went with xcg7 4 wood. I hit a bunch and the other 2 I really liked were the Adams blue snd xhot 2.

Looks like next testing will be replacing my 3 and 4 iron. Just not striking them as cleanly and consistent as I would like. Anything over 185-190 I'm losing strokes as the majority of time I'm not hitting that green or sometimes I'm well off.

Thank you guys for all ur input. I went with xcg7 4 wood. I hit a bunch and the other 2 I really liked were the Adams blue snd xhot 2.

Looks like next testing will be replacing my 3 and 4 iron. Just not striking them as cleanly and consistent as I would like. Anything over 185-190 I'm losing strokes as the majority of time I'm not hitting that green or sometimes I'm well off.

Good choice. That's the best of that lot in your list and I've hit or owned them all. They look awesome as well.

My runner up on that list would have been the Aero. It really impressed me when I used them on some rental clubs.

Tough to offer any real advice since the OP has told us nothing about himself as a golfer ... speed, ability to hit fairways, etc.

yes i did fail to provide that info. currently play to a 11.4 hcp, driver SS is mid 90s carry is 235ish, usually end up around 250's. my fairway wood ss is high 90ish, iron SS 7iron mid 80s creeping up to high 80s. i tend to drive the ball well and hit a good amount of fairways or just sneaking into the rough, im pretty consistent off the tee. just not a long hitter due to an injury and weight gain, i lost quite a bit of SS but when getting fitted im still in Stiff shaft.

mainly was looking for a consistent wood to play on short par 4's that dont fit my eye, (im a drawer with driver, struggle with a fade) or longer par 5's, i have a good short game so the perfect yardage i dont consider, the closer i am to the green the better it is for me, especially since iron play is a work in progress but my long irons off the ground just flat out stink. im also looking in replacing my 4 iron and mostly likely get a 3 hybrid, which would leave me the following set up

driver 9.5
4 wood 16.5
3 hybrid
4hybrid
5-aw(5 iron i am kinda maxed out at 180 maybe a tad more)
52 and 56 deg
putter

looking to add a 5 wood and a new 3 wood, currently hit the cally xhot 3 wood with ok success but am in need for change. currently looking at the following
exotics xcg7 and the beta model

tm sldr and sldr s
g25
xhot 2
areoburner
has anyone compared these or recommend any others
Looking for a 3 wood myself bud. Heard the RBZ stage 2 and Adams Blue were worth a hit.

For those of you looking for a 3Wood, I hit the Cobra Fly-Z over the weekend and the thing is just silly easy to hit.

I thought my X2Hot was easy but the Cobra was just super forgiving...

Back