Titleist 716 AP2 Irons Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just pre-ordered these yesterday afternoon through my club pro.

Currently gaming 4 Vokey's, just switched out my PW for a 46*. More versatility for around the greens, great for the ol' bump n' run. The AP2's slide in perfectly at 42* for the 9 iron and a consistent 4* gap throughout. I only bought 9-7 in AP2 and 6-4 in AP1's since those clubs seem to be where I mishit the centre of the club the most. The only gapping issue I have is between my AP2 7i (34*) and my AP1 6i (28*) and the rest are all 4 degree gaps. Will there be a huge distance gap between my 6 iron and 7 iron?

Also, I went with True Temper XP90 shafts for all 6 irons. I didn't want to have differently weighted shafts throughout my set and I really like the feel of a head heavy iron with these lighter shafts. Plus my OCD wouldn't allow that lol.

What do you guys think? Should I be worried?

Currently gaming 4 Vokey's, just switched out my PW for a 46*. More versatility for around the greens, great for the ol' bump n' run. The AP2's slide in perfectly at 42* for the 9 iron and a consistent 4* gap throughout. I only bought 9-7 in AP2 and 6-4 in AP1's since those clubs seem to be where I mishit the centre of the club the most. The only gapping issue I have is between my AP2 7i (34*) and my AP1 6i (28*) and the rest are all 4 degree gaps. Will there be a huge distance gap between my 6 iron and 7 iron?

Also, I went with True Temper XP90 shafts for all 6 irons. I didn't want to have differently weighted shafts throughout my set and I really like the feel of a head heavy iron with these lighter shafts. Plus my OCD wouldn't allow that lol.

Four wedges is intense! I went the other way this year only gaming two.

I wouldn't worry about the gapping until you actually hit them. There's going to be a gap in the bag somewhere, whether it's between 3w/hybo, hybo/4, or 6/7. All about where your gaps are important and whether you can manage a soft 6 when appropriate.

And at worst you could get them bent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THP will have these in hand on Monday to begin the review!

THP will have these in hand on Monday to begin the review!

Fun times,love these irons

I hit these about a week ago. Not too much so can't comment on performance, but the 'click' of the previous AP2's seemed like it was definitely toned down a bit. Will be very interested with THP's review of them.

As eager as I am to get my hands on these in general to put through their paces, I won't lie, the TT DG AMT shaft pairing is a significant part of that.

As eager as I am to get my hands on these in general to put through their paces, I won't lie, the TT DG AMT shaft pairing is a significant part of that.
Can't wait to see how those (and the entire Combo) work out for you my man. Been intrigued since the AMTs started trickling out on tour, then picking up numerous wins? Must be something there...

Im interested in your thoughts on the shaft. I don't feel anything or notice anything differ met between the DG s300 in the 714 and this shaft in the 716. Granted they were in 6i and 7i so maybe in 4-5i it woukd have an effect

Im interested in your thoughts on the shaft. I don't feel anything or notice anything differ met between the DG s300 in the 714 and this shaft in the 716. Granted they were in 6i and 7i so maybe in 4-5i it woukd have an effect

I think to really get a feel for the performance of the shaft, you have to hit clubs on the extremes of the set since that's where the weight varies the most.

That all said, the amount of tungsten used in the AP2's always excites me, this is no different. Though right now, without having had them in hand, I'm very indifferent to the aesthetics.

Released for pre order in Canada today. $1600 as rumored. Wowzers.

Released for pre order in Canada today. $1600 as rumored. Wowzers.

I assume that's for 3-W?

168 a club for steel down here, its definitely up there.

This is one of the things most on my mind about these as well.

I assume that's for 3-W?

168 a club for steel down here, its definitely up there.
3 - PW, yeah.

I'm eager to hear your thoughts James!

With a ticket like that they had better be a big step forward from the 714s IMO.

3 - PW, yeah.

I'm eager to hear your thoughts James!

With a ticket like that they had better be a big step forward from the 714s IMO.

Its definitely an intriguing release for Titleist IMO, edgier aesthetically, and the key will definitely be the tech. I enjoyed a lot about the 714's, and had some issues with some other things, will be fun to see where they have gone from there.

Personally I know I like hearing what we have from some about the click being a bit toned down.

Its definitely an intriguing release for Titleist IMO, edgier aesthetically, and the key will definitely be the tech. I enjoyed a lot about the 714's, and had some issues with some other things, will be fun to see where they have gone from there.

Personally I know I like hearing what we have from some about the click being a bit toned down.

Yup. This is either a love or hate thing. Maybe it improves reception to those who don't?

Yup. This is either a love or hate thing. Maybe it improves reception to those who don't?

Yeah, I think it would, I know its 100% a Titleist thing/trait, but a little less sharp at impact and IMO the 714's would have REALLY been something, but we know how personal that is. All that said, its been interesting hearing the reception of the 716 AP's, I know around me here there are several who REALLY weren't happy about them, hell I even heard people on PGA Radio (XM) complaining.

Yeah, I think it would, I know its 100% a Titleist thing/trait, but a little less sharp at impact and IMO the 714's would have REALLY been something, but we know how personal that is. All that said, its been interesting hearing the reception of the 716 AP's, I know around me here there are several who REALLY weren't happy about them, hell I even heard people on PGA Radio (XM) complaining.

I know I wasn't overwhelmed by the looks, but was also (am) a huge fan of the 714 and these are markedly different aesthetically. Doesn't mean I couldn't grow to love them haha

I know I wasn't overwhelmed by the looks, but was also (am) a huge fan of the 714 and these are markedly different aesthetically. Doesn't mean I couldn't grow to love them haha

I hear that 100%. I thought, and still do, that the 714 AP2 might be THE best iron they have ever released aesthetically. They needed to make a significant change, its time for that, but this isn't what I expected. Realyl eager to see them in hand and in bag though.

my local club and golf retailer still don't have an ETA on when we can see these babies live. Im waiting to hit these before I form an opinion but i can't wait

I hear that 100%. I thought, and still do, that the 714 AP2 might be THE best iron they have ever released aesthetically. They needed to make a significant change, its time for that, but this isn't what I expected. Realyl eager to see them in hand and in bag though.

Yup. Exactly my thoughts. Sometimes improvement in performance comes with a small sacrifice elsewhere. If these are better than the 714's, I wouldn't hesitate to game them.

I think to really get a feel for the performance of the shaft, you have to hit clubs on the extremes of the set since that's where the weight varies the most.

That all said, the amount of tungsten used in the AP2's always excites me, this is no different. Though right now, without having had them in hand, I'm very indifferent to the aesthetics.

Kind of what I figured on the extremes. Would have loved to hit these in the longer irons and compared to the 714s. Looks wise I don't mind the 716 but I like the look of the 714s better.

My club pro said that my clubs just shipped today! Should have them by Monday! :D I'll be sure to update you guys on my first range session with them.

Mine JUST got delivered aaannnnnddddd they look SWEET!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back