I should have held out. I really wanted a 528d but couldn't find one in a price I could stomach. :D

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

That's what I was thinking, a 328d heavily discounted sounds nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what I was thinking, a 328d heavily discounted sounds nice.

If you can find the slightly older 335d, do that and get a tune. A local tuner has one and he puts down some serious power and still gets 42mpg on the highway

If you can find the slightly older 335d, do that and get a tune. A local tuner has one and he puts down some serious power and still gets 42mpg on the highway

I'm still in my 328i and won't replace it for at least a couple more years. Just saying the 328d could be a good value with the current problems. Of course you are taking the risk it's next on the EPAs hit list either way. And I know enthusiasts love the E90, but I'm just not a Bangle fan. His stuff has aged well, it seems better today then it did when it came out (except the e60, still hate it) , but I still prefer the F30 looks by a huge margin.

I'm still in my 328i and won't replace it for at least a couple more years. Just saying the 328d could be a good value with the current problems. Of course you are taking the risk it's next on the EPAs hit list either way. And I know enthusiasts love the E90, but I'm just not a Bangle fan. His stuff has aged well, it seems better today then it did when it came out (except the e60, still hate it) , but I still prefer the F30 looks by a huge margin.

Completely agree. The face lifted 3 series from 2010 (I believe) is way better than the 06 version. The 06 was terrible after how great the e46 was. We're off topic though lol...well at least I am ?

Completely agree. The face lifted 3 series from 2010 (I believe) is way better than the 06 version. The 06 was terrible after how great the e46 was. We're off topic though lol...well at least I am 

I don't see how discussing the design styles of a completely separate vehicle company is off topic, lol.

Back on topic, I went to a customers house yesterday, who had a Jetta TDI. He was not a happy camper, and is just hoping for a buyback, since he is not willing to give up any performance or MPGs. He is military, and actually sold VW's one summer, and ended up buying one while there because he believed int he TDI's so much, he feels bad now for all of the people he encouraged to go TDI over the gassers.

Not from what I've seen only 2016-2016 and its the 1.8 turbo. The 2.0 is more confusing as conflicting reports are saying 2.0l or 2.0t. Autoblog listed the gti and it has the 2.0t. Again seems like only Puebla made cars are affected.

Cool cool. I'll take a look. :)

And its getting worse.

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/insider/vw-emissions-scandal-latest-porsche-stop-selling-cayenne-diesel-us

"As VW’s new guard deepens its investigation, the revelations keep emerging. Today’s big story is that petrol cars are now implicated, and CO2 claims – far more important to us than the NOx levels that this scandal has so far revolved around – have also been ‘set too low’ during official testing. This means everyday running costs are being dragged into the debate fully for the first time."

http://www.leftlanenews.com/vw-emissions-inconsistencies-extend-to-gasoline-engines-90154.html
The belief is that it is the 1.4L engine.

Here's a long repost from Bob Lutz

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a27197/bob-lutz-vw-diesel-fiasco/

quote:

Ferdinand Piëch, the immensely powerful former chief of Volkswagen's supervisory board, is more than likely the root cause of the VW diesel-emissions scandal. Whether he specifically asked for, tacitly approved, or was even aware of the company's use of software to deliberately fudge EPA emissions testing is immaterial.

I sat next to him at an industry dinner in the Nineties, just after the fourth-generation Golf had debuted at the Frankfurt show. I told him, "I'd like to congratulate you on the new Golf. First of all, it's a nice-looking car, but God, those body fits!"

"Ah, you like those?"

"Yeah. I wish we could get close to that at Chrysler."

"I'll give you the recipe. I called all the body engineers, stamping people, manufacturing, and executives into my conference room. And I said, 'I am tired of all these lousy body fits. You have six weeks to achieve world-class body fits. I have all your names. If we do not have good body fits in six weeks, I will replace all of you. Thank you for your time today.' "

"That's how you did it?"

"Yes. And it worked."

It's what I call a reign of terror and a culture where performance was driven by fear and intimidation.

That's the way he ran everything. It's what I call a reign of terror and a culture where performance was driven by fear and intimidation. He just says, "You will sell diesels in the U.S., and you will not fail. Do it, or I'll find somebody who will." The guy was absolutely brutal.

I imagine that at some point, the VW engineering team said to Piëch, "We don't know how to pass the emissions test with the hardware we have." The reply, in that culture, most likely was, "You will pass! I demand it! Or I'll find someone who can do it!"

In these situations, your choice was immediate dismissal or find a way to pass the test and pay the consequences later. Human nature being what it is—if it's lose your job today for sure or lose your job maybe a year from now, we always pick maybe a year from now.

That management style gets short-term results, but it's a culture that's extremely dangerous. Look at dictators. Dictators invariably wind up destroying the very countries they thought their omniscience and omnipotence would make great. It's fast and it's efficient, but at huge risk.

This diesel fiasco is immeasurable in terms of damages—so much worse than Toyota acceleration, Ford Firestone tires, or GM ignition switches. In all those cases, tragically, people died, but it wasn't premeditated. You settle with the victims' families, pay the fine, put in the new parts, and for $1.5 billion, it can all be contained. But this Volkswagen mess is like the disaster that keeps on giving.

To make the cars legal in the U.S., VW will need to program them with the software that passes the test, in which case, performance is down and fuel consumption is up, and every VW TDI owner is part of a class-action suit against Volkswagen. To retrofit a urea system is basically a nonstarter, as it would require far too much change.

There is no easy fix. But you can probably rely on the German government to do what is necessary to pull Volkswagen out of this crisis.

In terms of marketing cars in the U.S., Volkswagen will need a radically new array of products that are much closer to mainstream American tastes than what it has. The whole Clean Diesel campaign, as the foundation of the VW brand, cannot be resurrected. It's history.

Well, hopefully they can reset the diesel with the new engine range. I really don't want to buy a Chevy Truck as my next car.

I wish I had some free money to invest in VW it wasn't that long ago their stock was over 250 and obviously it has tanked over the last two months. No doubt it will go up again once they get this sorted out unless there is something even worse on the horizon but I suppose that is the chance you take.

I should have held out. I really wanted a 528d but couldn't find one in a price I could stomach. :D

I have to believe you could have negotiated a sweet deal on one.

Any VW owners?

I heard on NPR today that VW is offering to owners of the effected TDI models, a $500 cash card and $500 to spend at a VW dealership as a "sorry we screwed up and will eventually figure out something to do about it" payment. According to the brief story, if you accept the payment you are still eligible to participate in any class action lawsuits. They're calling it a "goodwill package"
I found this about it:
https://www.vwdieselinfo.com/

I heard on NPR today that VW is offering to owners of the effected TDI models, a $500 cash card and $500 to spend at a VW dealership as a "sorry we screwed up and will eventually figure out something to do about it" payment. According to the brief story, if you accept the payment you are still eligible to participate in any class action lawsuits. They're calling it a "goodwill package"
I found this about it:
https://www.vwdieselinfo.com/
I saw that. Nice gesture, but I know a couple owners that are balking at it.... Which I think is silly because it's not like they are saying it's a fix or complete reward. It's just something nice they're putting out there until they come up with a fix.

I saw that. Nice gesture, but I know a couple owners that are balking at it.... Which I think is silly because it's not like they are saying it's a fix or complete reward. It's just something nice they're putting out there until they come up with a fix.

I'm all for it, personally, and plan on submitting my info tomorrow. I see it as their way of understanding roughly how many cars are really in the market (I.e. Not sitting on dealer lots or in junk yards) and would need to be dealt with. According to the site, the offer is able to be redeemed until April, 2016 so based upon how many cars are really out there would probably direct the solution options (buyback, fix, etc. )

I'm all for it, personally, and plan on submitting my info tomorrow. I see it as their way of understanding roughly how many cars are really in the market (I.e. Not sitting on dealer lots or in junk yards) and would need to be dealt with. According to the site, the offer is able to be redeemed until April, 2016 so based upon how many cars are really out there would probably direct the solution options (buyback, fix, etc. )
Yeah sounds like a good assumption there. Should give them some good numbers. Long time to not have a fix if it's after April though.

Yeah sounds like a good assumption there. Should give them some good numbers. Long time to not have a fix if it's after April though.

You have to have owned the car on today's date, you have until April to redeem. I'm sure they are assuming most people will sign up in the next 60 days once word gets out. As crazy as it sounds, April is only 5 months away.

Nothing moves quickly with the government, and I don't think the EPA gave a date that BW had to do something by?

Any VW owners?

Also, you have to go into the dealer to "activate" the Visa cards so they can validate the car and that you actually own it. Curious how many stories of high-pressure sales pitches we will hear as I'm sure VW will incentivize dealers to get these things off the road. You'll probably start seeing +25% or more over book value on trade in.

Also, you have to go into the dealer to "activate" the Visa cards so they can validate the car and that you actually own it. Curious how many stories of high-pressure sales pitches we will hear as I'm sure VW will incentivize dealers to get these things off the road. You'll probably start seeing +25% or more over book value on trade in.
I'm going to see about registering today, so I'll let y'all know how bad the sales pitches are.

I'm going to see about registering today, so I'll let y'all know how bad the sales pitches are.

No sales pitches yet. Of course the voucher for the cards hasn't come in yet. I'm pondering a roof rack or some replacement parts for things I've broken... Like the tabs for the parcel shelf.

No sales pitches yet. Of course the voucher for the cards hasn't come in yet. I'm pondering a roof rack or some replacement parts for things I've broken... Like the tabs for the parcel shelf.

I've heard when you go in for this that you have to sign something saying you are not allowed to be part of any class action lawsuit in the future, is this true?

Having my snow tires installed Friday. Thursday is the first day of a long string of sustained sub 40 days so its time. Also E85 is $1.67 a gallon right now, I would love for the E85 upgrade and tune to be available as even with lowered mpg, its over $.80 a gallon cheaper than 91.

There have been a hold on a lot of R's sitting at ports right now. Some have been sitting there for well over a month. Turns out they need an ECU modification. Also turns out the R engine is now listed as violating emissions of some sort. The belief, while not confirmed is these cars are being re-tuned. Regardless if the latter is true, more gas engines are appearing on lists of violated engines.

I was talking to my dealer a few days ago and they said the diesel issues are a concern but are not affecting demand really at all. He said people want the things and they have been selling non certified used ones (can't be certified right now) like hot cakes.

Back