Pulling my wedges to the left. Help please

Bridges

Reaction score
Handicap
I have been pulling my wedges to the left lately (im a righty) about 10-15 yards. I have tried a few things but just cant seem to fix it. They have perfect height, distance and just everything i want except im pulling them to the left some.

Any tips would be great. Thank you!

Think "Down and through". Hey, I do this more often than I want to share and talked to Andy about it. I was sweeping the ball with the lighter iron's and basically getting the club head through before my hands. Once I started hitting the ball first, then taking a smallish divot things started going straight again. Good luck!

Think "Down and through". Hey, I do this more often than I want to share and talked to Andy about it. I was sweeping the ball with the lighter iron's and basically getting the club head through before my hands. Once I started hitting the ball first, then taking a smallish divot things started going straight again. Good luck!

well see thats the thing i hit ball first then make the divot, exactly what your suppose to do but some how i pull them not all the time, just every once in a while, if i open up the club face slightly then it straightens out but i think i might be over rotating my wrists through impact causing me to pull them?

B Ridge S I normally dont like to throw golf advice out cause its what works for me may not work for you. Buuuuut I was having this problem too. THe instructor got me to shorten my swing and use the big muscles to swing. For me my head was staying behind while my arms finished the swing and I was scooping.throwing my hands out there. Down and through is perfect. THink of getting your right shoulder to the ball. If your swing plane is good but youre pulling it could be because your scooping. Good thing is at least youre closing the clubface!

Move all your change from the left pocket to the right. It worked for Tin Cup?

Today I started doing the same thing my ball goes a little further then when I hit it straight.Think I'm coming over the top kinda outside in, not sure though. Make It Stop:act-up:

B Ridge S I normally dont like to throw golf advice out cause its what works for me may not work for you. Buuuuut I was having this problem too. THe instructor got me to shorten my swing and use the big muscles to swing. For me my head was staying behind while my arms finished the swing and I was scooping.throwing my hands out there. Down and through is perfect. THink of getting your right shoulder to the ball. If your swing plane is good but youre pulling it could be because your scooping. Good thing is at least youre closing the clubface!
ya idk what my problem is lol
can you comment a little more on the scooping part, im a sponge so comment away haha

Move all your change from the left pocket to the right. It worked for Tin Cup?

I normally dont carry anything in my pockets but my divot tool with the ball marker on it and one extra ball. But il stick em all on the right side lol

Today I started doing the same thing my ball goes a little further then when I hit it straight.Think I'm coming over the top kinda outside in, not sure though. Make It Stop:act-up:

I make sure i come inside out on my practice swing, its basically my number one focus so i dont slice, so idk if thats the case for me but it could be.

Im not sure if i want an aggie in my thread. hahaha jk man!! HOOK EM'!

I think it is an outside/in over the top move. It's haunted me a long time, but something that might help, (did me), is to start the back swing with the clubhead traveling way outside. It has little choice but to come back center or inside. Sort of reverse baseball drill, although I think the baseball drill works better for a long time cure.

I make sure i come inside out on my practice swing, its basically my number one focus so i dont slice, so idk if thats the case for me but it could be.

Im not sure if i want an aggie in my thread. hahaha jk man!! HOOK EM'!

Understand see the puppys I raised. :act-up:: I think I'm a little mean though.I sent one girl to A&M and a boy to Texas, Love that boy LOL

Understand see the puppys I raised. :act-up:: I think I'm a little mean though.I sent one girl to A&M and a boy to Texas, Love that boy LOL

haha, what good conversations yall must have!

But you can ask anything you want in here, its cool with me, i just know i want the pulls to stop! :banghead:

Sure thing! I just don't want to overload and also our swings may be a tad different. But Ill just throw some stuff out there.

When I first started my lessons he noticed two things immediately. I had an extremely long backswing (think John Daly) and I was coming under the swing plane. We shortened my backswing a bunch and got me swinging on plane. We shortened my backswing for control. The distance I lost will come back once I start using my big muscles to swing rather than my arms. Swinging on plane helped the pull somewhat so its not as big. We worked on it in stages and I'm still working on the shoulder thing. It's my way of working on the hinge and making sure I hit down on the ball.

Because of some issues I'm having with my downswing my arms get behind and they have to catch up. So to compensate I essentially throw my hands at the ball. I sometimes catch the divot in front but on video I can see the "scoop". My arms throw, hands flip up and I have a rocking motion as opposed to turn motion with my shoulders. My right shoulder eventually gets to where it needs to be but I need to work it in earlier. When I slow down I'm able to do so. What I noticed on video is when I flip at the ball, on impact my left hand is a C. When I don't scoop my right hand is a C.

Again its different for everyone. I'd hate to say yeah this is it fo sho but that's my experience. He gave me a couple chipping exercises and a slow mo drill to work on. Its definitely helping a bit. This may not be for everyone and I'm not trying to start any arguments lol.

Edit: ANNND we did do the baseball drill. That had me hittin straight. I just cant do ti all the time hahahah.

alright give me a few minutes to read that I'm driving now lol I need tapatalk bad!

Go to a shop and hit your wedges off a lie board .Let's make sure the lie angles are correct for you.If to upright you will get the pulls

If your divots are heel deep, your clubs could be too upright.

If your divots are normal, than its an outside-in swingpath.

Or the hands are rotating to soon and shutting face down

Thanks Yoccos!!

Go to a shop and hit your wedges off a lie board .Let's make sure the lie angles are correct for you.If to upright you will get the pulls
Good call, they're just standard right now, might be it.

explain the 'heel deep' comment for me please, dont understand that one.
Im almost positive its not an outside in because i make myself swing inside out and even draw the wedges on occasion. lol

The pulls are mostly with the 52 wedge, I dont use the 56 for anything but the sand (just my preference) and i use my 60 a lot around the green and have a few pulls every once in a while but they are very small compared to the 52*

idk if this info helps but i hit my 52* 100-115 according to the rangefinder.

hold your wedge and place it on the ground. Now lower your hands, and youll see the toe of the club come off the ground. Now if your divots are heel deep, then the heel is getting stuck in the ground, and the face is closing at impact. So if the divots are heel deep, a club bent flat will not close at impact.

Practice swings and real swings are way too different to compare. So I wouldnt doubt an out-in swingpath. If they arent heel deep, the only thing that can cause a pull is an out-in, with a clubface square to path.

Graeme McDowells practice swings are so out-in its unbelievable, but he doesnt swing that way in real life. He just tries to incorporate that feeling into his swing.

hold your wedge and place it on the ground. Now lower your hands, and youll see the toe of the club come off the ground. Now if your divots are heel deep, then the heel is getting stuck in the ground, and the face is closing at impact. So if the divots are heel deep, a club bent flat will not close at impact.

Practice swings and real swings are way too different to compare. So I wouldnt doubt an out-in swingpath. If they arent heel deep, the only thing that can cause a pull is an out-in, with a clubface square to path.

alright. Its not an out to in swing path if i was to do that i would pull the ball 25-35 yards not just a small 10 yards. And my divots would all be pointing dead left and thats not the case.

I dont see how the amount of yardage the pull is relevant. Im not saying youre coming way outside in. Maybe just slightly, just enough for 10 yards or so. You can be severely out-in, or just slightly. If your divots point to where the ball landed, without any curve, then its swingpath no doubt about it.
alright. Its not an out to in swing path if i was to do that i would pull the ball 25-35 yards not just a small 10 yards. And my divots would all be pointing dead left and thats not the case.

well divots point to the right more than straight. I mean im not pulling them every time its about once every 3-4 shots, its just annoying.

well divots point to the right more than straight. I mean im not pulling them every time its about once every 3-4 shots, its just annoying.

I meant just the divots that you pull shots. If you can have a divot facing right, and a ball that goes straight left with no curve, youre a magician.

im actually thinking when the divot is more straight thats when i pull them, so it could be a lie issue or that im over rotating through impact. I cant remember the last time i have had a divot facing left they usually all point right or straight and as you probably can guess my misses are right because i wont close the club face sometimes so off to the right they go. its just with the wedges or i should say mostly the 52* that i have a few pull shots.

Next time just take a closer look at the divot. I would think its a lie angle issue for sure or weak wrists. But not weak wrists because although i dont know you or your specs, you seem like a 20-something strapping young lad. Unless youre not really aimed where you think your aimed. Had that problem for an entire month it was terrible
im actually thinking when the divot is more straight thats when i pull them, so it could be a lie issue or that im over rotating through impact. I cant remember the last time i have had a divot facing left they usually all point right or straight and as you probably can guess my misses are right because i wont close the club face sometimes so off to the right they go. its just with the wedges or i should say mostly the 52* that i have a few pull shots.

Those old folks are the ones with the weak wrists, i still have a while before that lol Aiming could also be another issue im not to good at that but i hit from almost the same spot everytime(at my house) and usually dont have to move just scoop a ball over and hit so no changing positions everytime, but sometimes i get the pull then others are straight. Guess i need to get the lie angle checked before i do to much changing. For the most part i think i have a pretty good swing i just tend to miss right with shots because I focus on other things and forget to close it at impact sometimes.

Im thinking about getting the vision track so that should help with alignment.

Back