Bag Setup Thread: Reasons and Thoughts

Was cleaning them up last night to sell and don't know if it's nostalgia or what but decided to bag my Speedblade/CTL irons for my round this weekend. Maybe it's just hard to let go since they're the first set I ever built myself. :D

Was cleaning them up last night to sell and don't know if it's nostalgia or what but decided to bag my Speedblade/CTL irons for my round this weekend. Maybe it's just hard to let go since they're the first set I ever built myself. :D

They're solid irons for sure.

It's looking like my bag may go heavily Cobra next year. I've been lusting after the ForgedTEC irons to replace my Apexes, and the LTD driver has been amazing for me the couple times I've swung it.

It's looking like my bag may go heavily Cobra next year. I've been lusting after the ForgedTEC irons to replace my Apexes, and the LTD driver has been amazing for me the couple times I've swung it.
Interesting. Thought you said you loved gaming those Wilson's.

I was impressed when I tried the forgedTEC irons, not so much by te LTD driver, but it is not marketed towards me at all

My current bag is as per my signature. I brought the 4h a few months back and really like it. The M1 driver got released I wasn't really loving my 915 so bit the bullet and brought one, got fitted and I can not see that being replaced. Based on the driver I brought the 3 wood and again that is firmly stuck in the bag. After reading on here about the Cleveland 2135 putters I picked one of those up cheap and love it. I thought all the above thoughts about my 545's then got the iron itch. Tested out 716 AP1 + AP2, Vapor Pro Combo and PSI. For me the PSI's felt better than the others, gave me further distance than my 545's and appear to be straighter. Im waiting for them to be delivered.

I'll be experimenting with a few things over the winter as usual and looking to make a couple small changes at the top and maybe even bottom of the bag.
I LOVE my bag setup with the FG Tour V4 5-GW flowing into a 56/60 wedge setup but I've put the C100's back in for the winter (wet wet wet soft ground) due to their wider sole. I'm finding the TC 52* wedge is carrying almost the same as the C100 GW (shaft lengths are different) so one of them needs to go which opens the door for another club at the top of the bag. My 5 wood and 4 Hybrid are giving me close to the same total distance (more carry with the 5w) so I think I'm going to add a 3/4 wood to give me another "less than driver" distance for off the tee.

The 816 Alpha 16* is the one that intrigues me the most right now.

My bag setup is in my signature and it's pretty straightforward.

However, I'm doing some experiments with the driver, where I'm carrying two.

Essentially a 910d2 which is at 9.75 degrees for standard drives, and the wishon at 9 degrees for against the wind situations.

I haven't proven if my experiment works, it's still undergoing testing.

Mine has changed.

I was fit to this, all of it, in #TheGrandaddyofemAll, the greatest am event ever. They're staying put too, what a setup it is for me!

New bag setup (in signature) for me as of last Monday. Fit by the experts at ECPC for TheGrandaddy. Have a 3W in the bag for the first time in awhile. Using a 4H instead of a 4 iron for the first time. I'll be rocking this setup all of next season, so happy with all my new equipment!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As of right now i am using a Nike pro vr limited driver and 3 wood. 9.5 and 15 degrees. Mizuno mp4 3 through pw. SM5 gold nickel Vokey wedges 52, 56, 60. Also currently using a Scotty Cameron California Monterey. Recently got the hybrid pro vr 3, might experiment on the course tomorrow with it.

I'll be experimenting with a few things over the winter as usual and looking to make a couple small changes at the top and maybe even bottom of the bag.
I LOVE my bag setup with the FG Tour V4 5-GW flowing into a 56/60 wedge setup but I've put the C100's back in for the winter (wet wet wet soft ground) due to their wider sole. I'm finding the TC 52* wedge is carrying almost the same as the C100 GW (shaft lengths are different) so one of them needs to go which opens the door for another club at the top of the bag. My 5 wood and 4 Hybrid are giving me close to the same total distance (more carry with the 5w) so I think I'm going to add a 3/4 wood to give me another "less than driver" distance for off the tee.

The 816 Alpha 16* is the one that intrigues me the most right now.

I found the same thing in the wedges between SGW and a 52*. For me stepping down to a 54* got gapping back in order. You might even be able to use your 56-60 combo to transition.

As far as which one to keep, I find the set wedge to be very versatile and have been pulling it most often for shots inside 100. The extra forgiveness on full swings is extra icing. No doubt you're a more consistent ball striker than I am, so you might have a more difficult time choosing. Maybe play a couple rounds alternating between the two and see which one you miss having.

New bag may end up like this:
816 dbd
Apex 2 hybrid or 3 hybrid or 4w
Apex 4 hybrid or apex cf 4 iron
Apex cf 5, 6, 7 iron
Apex pro 16 7, 8, 9, pw
Md3 50s, 54w
Pm grind 58
Putter

816 dbd
Apex cf 5, 6, 7 iron
Apex pro 16 7, 8, 9, pw
Md3 50s, 54w
Pm grind 58
Putter

Looks solid Kang

816 dbd
Apex cf 5, 6, 7 iron
Apex pro 16 7, 8, 9, pw
Md3 50s, 54w
Pm grind 58
Putter

Which putter? That beauty #7 staying there??

Spent about a year getting my bag set after returning to golf after a 20 year hiatus, just about done with gaps minimized.

Driver 8* 270-280
3 wood 14* 240-250
3hybrid 20* 220-230
4i 210-225
5i 195-210
6i 180-195
7i 165-180
8i 150-165
9i 135-150
PW 45* 120-135
AW 50* 100-120
SW 55* 70-100
LW 60* < 70

Which putter? That beauty #7 staying there??

Mxm 2ball, milled collection limited ?&$ 7ch, 777sb, 777 cs, milled collection 7 are in rotation

Mxm 2ball, milled collection limited ?&$ 7ch, 777sb, 777 cs, milled collection 7 are in rotation

Hahaha. A dream rotation right there dude

Bag Setup Thread: Reasons and Thoughts

Some mind games about the top end of the bag. Currently driver, 5w, 4h and 5h. Then irons. 6-AW. Xr 16 FW 7w could be an option instead of 4h.

Last edited:
Going to bag the F5 again for a while. Took it out for league last night and remembered how much I love this FW.

Heavenwood isn't going away, but may split time with the F5.

Blast from the past!

Really thinking about my setup for this upcoming year.

Driver will be high loft, likely 10.5 cranked up as high as I can go with that given head. Fairway I'm considering moving to a 5w only setup somewhere in that 18* range as it'd give me plenty off the tee and deck. Hybrids still in the 20-23* and 24-26* range (more than likely my Apex still). Irons in a 6-PW or 5-PW depending on the hybrid lofts. Wedges are set with my RTX3's in 52CB/56CB/60MB and putter will be something pretty. Haha

The big dilemma for me is going to be iron set. I think I'm down to the 765 and the V6, but the PTx are very much still there too.

Going to be a fun year!

I could game my current bag through 2017 and be very happy.
I may swap out the 4w for a low lofted hybrid and I may throw a new driver in the bag just because I seem to every year. That said, I've never been more content with my driver than I am now.

Driver: Super happy with my BB 815 Alpha and LZ shaft combo

Fairway: Callaway "V" series HeavenWood works extremely well for me

Hybrid: Ben Hogan VKTR gives me the longer distance green holding ability I need as a #ShortKnocker

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 26° & 30° and Tour Edge Exotics CB PROh 34°-46° give me the ability to hold the green throughout the "blended" set. My initial plan was to go all PTx but the current configuration does everything I want, plus saves money.

Wedge: Cleveland RTX-3 CB 50° Callaway PM Grind 58°

TINKERING
Fairway: I like my Hopkins Superspoon 16.5° However, I'm considering going back to a 3wood for more distance. As an experiment, I just purchased a Exotics EX9 Tour

Wedge: My Hopkins, SCOR, and Hogan TK-15 all work well as my "middle" wedge. However, I plan on trying a RTX-3 CB in that slot

Putter: Honestly, I have a few too many works of art to limit myself to just one

Last edited:
I'm pretty happy with my set up right now, pending some hybrid swap outs to tinker with. I could live either way but the 815 3H is pretty silly so I'm going to give the 4H a shot. Only major question mark is the 3W slot. Bertha Mini has been working out so far, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't still thinking about whether or not a higher lofted/spinning driver would serve me better there. Going to leave it as I'm happy at the moment, but you never know.

Oh yeah... I'm sure something shiny will distract me from my current state of content. I'm due for a real (not in the big box store) putter fitting.

Im really enjoying my shortened 7W replacing my 4 hybrid spot. I enjoy the whole Fly Z XL line as well. I played this years Max line in the irons and wasnt as smitten with them. Hoping Cobra comes out with a combo high handicap set like they do every year that is decent in price. The King OS looks nice but a little pricey for me.

Last edited:
Back