Bag Setup Thread: Reasons and Thoughts

I’m pretty happy with my current bag setup.
Driver- 10.5 915d2 w/ attas coool 70s. I hit this pretty well most days and usually find the fairway. Nothing current is worth the swap.
Ping G400 5 wood -setting. Good option off the tee. Pretty easy to swing off the deck.
This is the current change. I now carry 2 G30 hybrids 19* & 22*. I hit them both really well. The 22* is the new addition and I’m kicking myself for not making the swap sooner. I have a new confidence in my game from the 220-200 yard range.
Irons are Ping i200 5-pw w/ modus 3 105 stiff. These are some of the best irons I’ve ever hit. Really predictable ball flight, soft feel. I’m set here for a while.
Currently playing Titleist sm6 52* bent to 50* and sm5 56* & 60*. There’s no problem here other than the holiday ponder for a new set of wedges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man, I'm pretty damn content right now. As far as setup goes (loft/gap) literally the only debate is in the 4i/4h spot. The move to 5w is already paying dividends, and its winter right now so that excites me. Additionally the re-commitment to SeeMore is paying off on the greens.

Have a pretty fun setup going right now, will be interesting to see how it changes as the review season eventually picks up.

What is your thought process on 4h vs 4i? I'm having the same issue right now. I can definitely hit my 4h higher than a 4i and a little further, but the nasty left shots bother me with the 4h at times. With a 4i, I'm probably giving up some forgiveness but might reduce the side-to-side dispersion.

Bigger picture: many of the courses I play around here are shorter, tighter courses. I'm pretty happy with my fairway wood at this point, but if I change, it's going to be to something that prioritizes accuracy over distance. I don't really care about being able to play it off the fairway because I'm not good at fairway wood off the deck. Then move to a hybrid in the 19-20 degree range that I can hit on 2nd shots into par 5s before a 4 iron if that's the route I go.

I'm also probably going to go to a specialty 50 degree wedge instead of a set gap wedge, but that's a much lower priority.

Driver- Louisville Slugger 34 oz.
Fairway- small shovel
Sand wedge- garden hoe
Putter- metal rake
a la tin cup. Sometimes I think I'd hit em just as well!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Here is my 13 club setup.

Driver - Not macho to not carry a driver right?

5W - can't seem to hit a 3W off the deck, but I get decent yardage out of this 5W, and slipped the 3W shaft (Attas3) into it. Adjustable lofts mean I can get close to a 4W setting with it as well. I currently have the loft cranked up, but I may dial it down.

4H - can hit the 4H well, but for some reason the 5H of the same brand (and shaft) gives me fits like no other.

5-DW - this Cleveland set will be the first time I have a gap wedge that matches my irons. I may feel a bit more comfortable full swinging this puppy. I generally chip and pitch with my PW, but I have to see how the DW and I get along. The 5i is a bit interesting because a 6i is generally my length limit with irons. I am hoping however that my new round of lessons will help me become consistent with the 5i. If not, the 5i 588 may be replaced with the Altitude 5i. I can hit my HiBore 5i decent, so I assume the same would be said for the Altitude ... though do I go graphite shaft (and treat it like a hybrid) or steel shaft (and treat it like an iron)? The last thing I noticed is that the Clevelands are 3/4" longer than my XCG6's. I'm definitely going to have to choke down on them for increased control (which I already did for the XCG6's).

54, 58 wedge - 54 for out of the sand. 58 for ... well, I don't know ...

Putter - Amazing that a switch to the Super Stroke grip made the STX feel so much better in my hands, but it does ... and so I'm sticking with it for now.

My bag isn't top heavy, but when you only hit around 210-215 on average with your drives, there probably isn't much need to be top heavy anyways. I have room for another club, and I have a 7W I like, but not sure if there is a gap between my 5W and 4H to matter much. It also needs a new shaft (has an old Aldila in it) before I probably consider bagging it consistently.

Wow, my setup has changed a lot in a couple of years. Now I'm looking at the following:

Driver: Cobra F6. I flirted with the F7 but the F6 always gave me the best results. This club, and lessons, got me consistently 230-240 off the tee, and on extremely well struck shots I could look at a 260+ yard hit. This will be back in the back in 2018.
Fairway: Cobra F6. Like the driver, this is a very forgiving club for me. It has good off the deck potential as well, despite not having rails like the F7.
Hybrids: Currently gaming the Tour Edge Ex9's, but I'm pretty sure I'm moving back the Wilson Staff D100's because they've been the most consistent hybrids I've ever hit.
Irons: Wilson Staff C200. These will remain in my bag for most of next year. Then we'll see where the prices on the C300 Forged stand.
Wedges: Cleveland CBX. Have the 56 and 60. Will bag a 52 when I am playing often enough to warrant spending money on a new club.
Putter: Happy Putter. Not sure if this will ever leave the bag.

Getting ready for next spring.

Driver: RazrX Fit, 9.5*, 44.5” MCS 75g “R” shaft
3W: RazrX, 15*, 42” MCS 75g “R” shaft
4h & 5h: Mizuno 2014 jpx fli hi, Orochi 75g “R” flex
6i-9i: Mizuno MX-20 Exsar Blue “R” flex
Wedges: 588 RTG: 45/8, 51/6, 56/14, 60/3
Putter: Odyssey White HotXG #7
Ball: probably TruSoft or Wilson Duo or SuperSoft

Will be 75 next month. Driver swing speed=85mph. Usually shoot in mid-80s

My bag is finally set the way I want and has been playing well. Only change maybe to switch out the iron shafts to Recoils.
See sig for bag setup.

What is your thought process on 4h vs 4i? I'm having the same issue right now. I can definitely hit my 4h higher than a 4i and a little further, but the nasty left shots bother me with the 4h at times. With a 4i, I'm probably giving up some forgiveness but might reduce the side-to-side dispersion.

Bigger picture: many of the courses I play around here are shorter, tighter courses. I'm pretty happy with my fairway wood at this point, but if I change, it's going to be to something that prioritizes accuracy over distance. I don't really care about being able to play it off the fairway because I'm not good at fairway wood off the deck. Then move to a hybrid in the 19-20 degree range that I can hit on 2nd shots into par 5s before a 4 iron if that's the route I go.

I'm also probably going to go to a specialty 50 degree wedge instead of a set gap wedge, but that's a much lower priority.

Its really just a comfort and repeatability thing. I've finally found a 4i in the Fli-Hi that I can hit HIGH and with the accuracy increase I have personally always seen with irons there, so its been a real wrench in the decision making.

I was a long time set GW proponent, but as my ballstriking has improved, I don't know that I could go back from a bladed wedge now.

I feel like my bag is pretty standard.

Driver: 10.5 Callaway XHot
3W: Callaway XHot
Hybrids Callaway 3h and 4h
Irons: Z565 for my 5 - 6 irons, and 765 for my 7-PW.
Wedges: RTX-3 in 50, 54, 58.

I wish I could sub out the 50 for a AW in the Z765 line, but Srixon doesn't make a left handed AW.

My hybrids and woods are starting to show some serious signs of wear. Might be looking at new ones in a year or so but I hit these pretty well and it will be hard to give them up. Especially my driver. That thing is (usually) a laser for me.

Driver: Ping G400 10.5
3W: Ping G400 Stretch
Two good options off the tee. Stretch 3 has a lower flight if I think I need to keep the ball down. Also a good option to eat up yards after a poor tee shot and longer par 5 holes. 3W is also the first club on the chopping block if I need to make room. I just don’t hit it enough.

Hybrids: Ping G400 3h 19* and 4h 22*
3h is another option off the tee for position on short par 4 holes. Both serve as an extension of my iron gapping off the deck.

Irons: Mizuno MP-H5 5-PW
Pretty consistent 12 yard gap between clubs. I like being able to flight the ball. Getting some 2016 JPX-EZ cast irons re-shafted for testing and a possible change or backup set. Considering something with a little more forgiveness.

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50*, 54*, 58*
Used to be extremely consistent. Struggling with yardage creep due to fixing some sequencing issues in my swing. Looking forward to seeing the consistency return once I tune in my yardage’s. They perform, just go too far right now.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 blade
Best performing putter I’ve used so far. Distance control has been easier with this over other putters.

Quite happy with my set up, but there is room for one more club at the top.
Driver : Ping G400 SFT 10*
Fairway: XR16 5w
Then a free spot: Either a 7w or 3h. Possibly another G400.
Hybrid: Ping G400 5h
Irons: Mizuno JPX900 Hot Metal 6-GW
Wedges: RTX-3 54/58*
Putter: Odyssey Works Versa 9
All clubs coming into the bag this year except XR16.

Joining a new course as of the 1st of January so my bag set up going in is going to change. I am taking the 54° and 58° wedges out of the bag along with a 5H. I will be replacing them with a 4W, 4I and 56° wedge. Reason being:

4W - there is one par 4 that requires a lay up off the tee short of a creek. The 5W leaves me a little too far back.

4I - There is too big a gap between my 5I - 4H and the 5H I was carrying I hit too high for a par 3 that is usually into the prevailing breeze and is a perfect 4I distance for me.

56° - Seldom used the 58° to start with and I can open the 56° to accommodate whatever shot I need around the green anyway.

Going to try a 48/54/60 wedge set up. I will have a 3* gap from pw to 48 so I think it will help with full shots at a certain distance with the Cbx and be easier to hit a partial shot that was a full 50 with my blade wedge. I then went 54 sm6 because it’s my most used club around the green and I’m better with a more narrow sole and I have no issue in the past with partial shots with it. Then another 6* gap to my 60 Cbx. I like it out of the ruff and the sand a lot so it should help shave a stroke or two it’s the most confident I have been with a 60.

Still working out the top end of my bag, but thinking about replacing both my 4h and 5i with a 5h. Reasoning is better gapping, and more use from my long clubs. I play a short course, and the wedge setup is much more important than 10 yd. gaps at the top end.

Carry distances:
Old : D (240)-5w (205)-4h (195)-5i (180) - 6i (170)
New: D (240)-5w (205)-5h (185)-6i (170)

Its really just a comfort and repeatability thing. I've finally found a 4i in the Fli-Hi that I can hit HIGH and with the accuracy increase I have personally always seen with irons there, so its been a real wrench in the decision making.

I was a long time set GW proponent, but as my ballstriking has improved, I don't know that I could go back from a bladed wedge now.

Very late on this, but just now reading your reply. I totally get what you're saying. I'll have to get on a launch monitor soon to see what numbers I get on a 5 iron, I just don't think I spin it enough to think about having a 4 iron in the bag. The thing that I'm actually thinking of doing now is bending my 5 iron a degree stronger and just not playing a 4 hybrid, and then using the extra spot in the bag for a 62 or 64 degree wedge that I could use for really short shots around the green. Many of the courses around here are older-style courses with small greens and having one more option around the greens might be helpful. On the other end, if I can have my 5 iron go about 210 or so and then get a hybrid to go about 230, that could probably cover everything I would need on the top end of the bag. Honestly, if I'm in between clubs at that type of distance, I can just choke down on the longer club to manage the gap.

Very late on this, but just now reading your reply. I totally get what you're saying. I'll have to get on a launch monitor soon to see what numbers I get on a 5 iron, I just don't think I spin it enough to think about having a 4 iron in the bag. The thing that I'm actually thinking of doing now is bending my 5 iron a degree stronger and just not playing a 4 hybrid, and then using the extra spot in the bag for a 62 or 64 degree wedge that I could use for really short shots around the green. Many of the courses around here are older-style courses with small greens and having one more option around the greens might be helpful. On the other end, if I can have my 5 iron go about 210 or so and then get a hybrid to go about 230, that could probably cover everything I would need on the top end of the bag. Honestly, if I'm in between clubs at that type of distance, I can just choke down on the longer club to manage the gap.

The Fli-Hi's have been revelatory for me in the long-iron/hybrid space of the bag. I don't spin irons a lot, but these offer enough that I can get them UP and get them to STICK.

Well well.

2018 marks the year of I'm going to play what works and see what nonsense I can get down to score wise.

Driver: G400 Max 10.5 w COOOL 7X

Love, sheer love. Hotmelt is amazeballs for sound and the driver has come alive for me, most forgiving driver I have hit in two years, and I own epic and Rogue.

3w: Whothashitknows 15-17 w/???

Thought it was Rogue. It's not. Thought it was CBX 4w, it might be. Might be back to EX10 Beta, might be the newly here Cleveland HB 3, could be the M4 though.

5w: Rogue Heavenwood w/ Elements Gold 7x

Unreal. Might make me not need a 3w/4w at all. For reals. This is where the Callaway in my bag will be.

HY: Mizzy CLK w/ GD AD-HY 85x

Sleeper hybo of the year. Seriously.

Irons: Mizzy MP18 5-6 Fli-Hi, 7-9 SC, PW MB w/ who knows

Irons are set. Beat out the i200 and the 790. But shafts, I'm not sure. Either back to DG Pro, or into S-Taper I think.

Wedges: SM6 50F, Wedgeworks 56V/60V w/ who knows

These are my wedges, there are many like them, but these are mine. Shafts though considering a KBS move.

Putter: SeeMore prototype M5x

Best putter I have ever used. Ever.

Driver is the standard epic with the HZRDUS T800 shaft. Did not like this shaft at first but with a +1/N setting on the adapter the Epic has become a beast.
4W, primarily for use off the tee on short par 4's. Can't really hit this club consistently off the deck
5W for fairway shots on par 5's and long par 4's.
4H to fill the gap between my 5I and the 5W.
5-AW Apex CF16's - love the performance of these irons and the ball flight they give me.
54° MD3 my inside 85 yards club and primary club for chipping
58° SureOut, mostly for bunker play but will occasionally chip with it if short sided and I need to carry the ball to the green.
Putter, Odyssey O-Works #7 Tank. Sometimes I choke up as suggested, other times, especially for longer putts, I grip it at the end. Puts a great roll on the ball.

Last edited:
DR- Ping GMax 9 - need to do the hotmelt thing once it arrives
3+- Rogue 13.5 - shaft has been an ongoing issue but need something I can hit out there off the tee when driver doesn't want to cooperate
2H - Rogue 17 - Should be a consistent performer for second shots as needed
20* - Rogue HW - Still dealing with shaft but again the type of club I need in that spot.
26* G400 5H - Does what it does well, not the longest, but forgiving and good ball flight
6-W I200 - Best for me
50/56/60 - CBX Wedges - game changers for me...
P- either PXG Mustang or Mizuno Betti BC1

Callaway XR16 with my THCE shaft. This thing still works for me, so no reason to change.
TM 4 & 5 hybo’s, but I am interested in the latest Cleveland’s having been a massive fan of the classic hybrids.
TM P790’s 5 - AW. First clubs I would say I’ve been properly fit for (previous fits have been measure to my fingertips, hit of the contact board etc). I’m semi hopeful I’ll have those in my hands before Dec 31st!
Going to stick to my 56 MD3 for now. If I find myself lacking, with the 790 AW being 50*, I may try a 54 58 setup.
Putter will be the Odyssey O works 1WS which seems to be getting better each round.

#FiberLaunch

Bag Setup Thread: Reasons and Thoughts

Driver: 2017 M2
One of the longest hitting driver I’ve had. Decent fairway finder. No complaints here.
(Ping G400 LST waiting on deck)

2017 M1 17* Solid off the tee. Not so solid off the deck unless is clean lie. Just not consistent . I was Never a good fw player off the deck.

2017 M1 H3 21*. All around decent hybrid. Easy to hit from every where.

Apex Hybrid H4 23*. Best hybrid I’ve had. Easy to hit low and high. Easy to hit from fairway bunker.

Apex CF16 5 to AW. Haven’t found other set that plays like it. It’s long and straight when hit solid. Best forgiving iron on thin hits.

Ping Eye 2 SW. It’s like cheating 90-80. It’s a money. And green-side bunker.

Fourteen 58* Wedge. 70 yds down. Only club I use. Chipping. Pitching. Anything green-side I use it.

Scotty Platinum Pro & Studio No2

Taylormade TP5x. Just recently put it in the bag. Longest hitting ball I’ve ever hit.

Only change this season is dropping the 3 wood and going with a Cobra F8 2 Hybrid.
I just don’t use the 3 wood enough. I really wanted a 2nd shot par 5 club
so this should be a nice fit for me.

Last edited:
3 changes this year, and I hardly ever change clubs.
D-New XXIO X 9.5 S Driver, kicked my Rapture V2 9* 63S BB outta the bag 2 weeks ago(played for like 8 years), may have to drop to 8.5- we'll see.

3W- TM HT 15* forever

3H Ping Rapture V2 20* w/ 80 S VS Proto- forever

3-PW- My bigass Rapture shovels w/AWT S Shafts they just work.-Forever

W- 51 Jaws, 56 XForged 14, 60* PM G(new PM 3 weeks ago- liking it alot)

P- This is where things are changing, have had a Rife Barbados for years, Sunday playing my old White Hot XG, then next week I'm getting a SeeMore Corona Del Mar X3 delivered.
So 3 changes in 1 year, and that's shocking for me!
B- Z-Star, it just works.

Last edited:
Well well.

2018 marks the year of I'm going to play what works and see what nonsense I can get down to score wise.

Absolutely where I'm at too. Whatever works.

I pulled 4W last season and this year I'm going with 4 hybrids including a closely sequenced 17° and 19°.

The 17° offers me great distance off the tee and is good for long approaches into par 5's where I can run it up some. The 19° is just a bit easier to hit and works well when I need more air.

I'm also gonna experiment with, get this, both my 45° CF-16 PW along with a 46° Fourteen RM-22J "GW."

I'm long with the CF-16s, my PW is my 150 yd club, yet I'll only hit a typical 50° GW about 130 (even the CF-16 GW, for whatever reason).

My current GW is 52° and is only good to about 125. So 150 to 125 ain't gonna cut it. 46° is on the way, hoping it'll hit to 135-140 yds.

I played wonky listed lofts even last year. Had a 19° hybrid and an 18° in the bag. But it was the 19° that was 15-20 yards longer than the lower lofted club so they slotted in well.

Whatever works!

Got the email today that league is starting up, so I figured I should actually get my clubs off the rack.

Setup as follows:
Driver - Callaway XR16
3W - Callaway Great Big Bertha
Heavenwood - Callaway V Series Heavenwood
3 Hybrid - XR Steelhead
Irons - Wilson Staff C200 5 - GW
Wedge - Cleveland RTX 56*
Putter - Toulon Memphis

Grand Total: 13 clubs

Toying with the hybrid in the bag this year, as I haven't played one for close to 3 years (since putting the HW in the bag).

My short game, for better or for worse, generally relies on playing multiple shots with the 56* (or just grabbing different clubs for bump & runs).

Ugh. I need to finalize the top of the bag with the 3w/4w battle. Either the Rogue (standard) 4w or the M4 3HL, or, of neither do it for me, then I'm prepared to drop that spot altogether and just run with HW as my fairway and add another wedge in.

Back