Have you reached your full potential

I am wondering if you feel you have reached your full potential as a player. If so, why? What is about your game that lends you to believe you can get better? Are you taking steps to reach your full potential?

No I have not reached my potential as a player. After taking almost two years off. I took stock of my game last winter and asked myself if I was happy with my game. I decided I was not and devloped a plan to help get me there. The first thing I needed to do was rework my swing. My old swing while effective was not consistent enough to get me to where I wanted to go. I found a new instructor and together we started reworking my swing. My new swing is a 180 degree change from my old swing. While the change is not 100% there. I am happy with the progress. Hopefully this winter I can fully ingrain the swing changes so that they hold up under the pressure of tournament play next season.

Nope I've seen glimpses of what I can do if I put in the practice time to fix my swing and make it stick.

Changing my current practice regime and sticking to it will get me there.

Like Dan I want that smooth Freddie Couples swing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no, i don't think i have. i think there's more distance available if i can tweak some of my mechanics in the long game, and there's more accuracy available in full swings if i can commit more time to practice and maybe a few lessons to tighten things up. i also know that a fitness regimen, losing weight, and working on flexibility would go a long way. chipping, pitching, sand, and putting is holding me back as well. i believe my potential is consistently threatening par from the correct set of tees.

[Do] you feel you have reached your full potential as a player. If so, why? No. At least I hope not!

What is about your game that lends you to believe you can get better? My cruddy handicap, achieved without as much practice as I would like.

Are you taking steps to reach your full potential? Finding ways to increase my time for lessons (with a good teacher), and appropriate practice habits. I have the properly fitted gear, now to maximize the benefits.

I'm nowhere near my potential. In fact, I'm happy where I am when I play only once a week in whatever course is available to me.

I can keep up, with a couple of strokes, with guys who play 2 to 3 times a week.

If my work assures steady income for the next ten years, and the kids suddenly became college graduates, I think I can do handicap 10 to 12 easily.

I still have some improving to do...and hopefully quite a bit. I still struggle to break 100. My iron play is pretty consistent, and really not too bad. I'm doing a much better at keeping the ball in play off the tee, but I had to transition to a mini driver to do it. That means my already short drives are even shorter.

I also can't figure out how to hit anything between my 5 iron and that mini driver. I've had a fair amount of success hitting the mini off the deck, but it is far from optimal.

Finally, I can't chip or putt. If I'm less than 70 yards out, I have no idea what to do. I never know which club to swing or how hard to swing it. Once I find myself on the green, the hard part has just started. Long putts, short putts, speed, alignment, reading breaks...it all baffles me.

I took some lessons this year, I feel like they helped some. They weren't nearly as impactful as I had hoped for, though. I think part of the issue is how different my experiences on the range are from those on the course. I just can't put any real meaning to what I do on the range.

Fun to bump an old thought.

Almost a year later, I am pretty proud of my progression. Golf isn't about "LOWEST EVER" anymore, it's about "most enjoyment" and this year, I accomplished that big time. Next year is about refining my swing, a creating something I can be happy with for the next twenty years. Going in the direction of that ultra smooth, ultra repeatable Fred Couples move. Love it.

Exactly. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a new answer. Still first in fun, but no.

It's grind time. 2016 goal: 60s with a smile.

Did that change in the last 24 hours?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have not.
I am exited that I have resumed lessons and have a new found love for applying those teachings in practice sessions.

I recently played and while I had lapses, which lead to wayward shots, I overall am happy with how I played. Putting was an issue as I left 5-6 putts 2" or less from the hole and pushed a few more.
Cleaning those up would have blown away my best ever score.
With work, I am exited to see where my game will go next season.

So starting to think a bit more about this I think it is time to go swig overhaul and get to where I truly think I should be going to be a interesting journey that will be hard for me to stick to but I think it is time

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I sure hope I haven't peaked, I actually know I haven't. I could do so many more things to help myself that I haven't done yet. For all intents and purposes I am a beginner, I've played for a long time but it's been very sporadic and without any goal other than fun and I have achieved that. Now it's time to step my game up and set some new goals, without playing much I shoot in the 90's and when I put more time in I can score in the 80's pretty regularly. 2016 will be the year I bear down and shoot in the 70's, I need to get fit for at least my irons, look into taking some lessons, and play and practice on a regular schedule.

Hell no I haven't.

Not even close.

I'm also tired of underachieving on the golf course in that regard.

Back