2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my opinion, narrow isn't bad. heels 6" apart and toes slightly flared is usually a good place to start.

10-4 I've been showed hip width since high school. No point in changing it up now. I suppose as long as the lift is done with out injury and hitting the targeted muscles, then it accomplishes what it's supposed to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10-4 I've been showed hip width since high school. No point in changing it up now. I suppose as long as the lift is done with out injury and hitting the targeted muscles, then it accomplishes what it's supposed to.

Yup. All depends on what muscle groups you're after. The wider the stance the less involved the posterior chain and lower back are involved.

Haha, that setup is the one I use, and the one that keeps my shins on the knurling. ;)
Not going to pull punches, I don't agree with much of this. Specifically the set up.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Haha, that setup is the one I use, and the one that keeps my shins on the knurling. ;)

I don't like the shoulders behind the bar or the dropped hips.

The dropped hips is good if you can load your hamstrings right before the lift. I drop my hips down to get into position and then raise my hips until my hamstrings feel tight, then pull.

For me, if my shoulders go in front of the bar I start bending my back and my weight goes into my toes. For better or worse.
I don't like the shoulders behind the bar or the dropped hips.

The dropped hips is good if you can load your hamstrings right before the lift. I drop my hips down to get into position and then raise my hips until my hamstrings feel tight, then pull.

For me, if my shoulders go in front of the bar I start bending my back and my weight goes into my toes. For better or worse.

As long as you raise your hips before you pull. Hamstrings get worked by going from long to short. Think of a leg curl machine. The more of an eccentric contraction they are in, the harder the will concentrically contract. If the hamstrings are already concentrically contracted as you deadlift, the movement will be a duad dominant (leg extender) movement.

If the shoulders are behind the bar at the start, the will have a tendency to drift forward and the vertical pull will be compromised.

I know it's predictable, but Mark Rippetoe's setup procedure is really good. Leads to a very efficient pull.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449948043.436967.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1449948056.988117.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1449948064.625177.jpg

My workout for the day. Climbed 5 85' poles, after deadlifts last night, ouch...

Golf with THPers and some Christmas shopping with my sick wife got in the way of my workout yesterday but I got it in this morning. Gym was eerily quiet at 930 on a sunday, though that's to be expected at a university rec center on Sundays :) The extra day off shifts me to sunday Tuesday Thursday, which might be better in the evenings anyway.

Golf with THPers and some Christmas shopping with my sick wife got in the way of my workout yesterday but I got it in this morning. Gym was eerily quiet at 930 on a sunday, though that's to be expected at a university rec center on Sundays :) The extra day off shifts me to sunday Tuesday Thursday, which might be better in the evenings anyway.
Nothing wrong with some shifting. The key is to not do the SS novice program on back to back nights. You won't be able to recover properly.

Nothing wrong with some shifting. The key is to not do the SS novice program on back to back nights. You won't be able to recover properly.
For sure. Especially doing squats and dead lifts (for now) during every workout.

So I've added planks into my abs routine but I'm only feeling it in my lower back and not my stomach. I was looking at my form in the mirror and its on point and I hold it for as long as I can started at 40 seconds and it dropped from there between sets on the leg press.

What am I missing here.

So I've added planks into my abs routine but I'm only feeling it in my lower back and not my stomach. I was looking at my form in the mirror and its on point and I hold it for as long as I can started at 40 seconds and it dropped from there between sets on the leg press.

What am I missing here.
Your lower back is part of your "core" if you do a lot of exercises designed to target your abdominal wall, your lower back is probably neglected. What your feeling is your spinal electors being worked closer to their limit than your abs are.

Your lower back is part of your "core" if you do a lot of exercises designed to target your abdominal wall, your lower back is probably neglected. What your feeling is your spinal electors being worked closer to their limit than your abs are.

Makes sense. It's probably the area that gets the least attention.

Work trip throwing a wrench in my schedule this week. Got my long day in yesterday, but I'm guessing the Hampton Inn isn't going to have the equipment I need to get the next day in my program in. Going to try to do an interval/conditioning workout while I'm there, and then head straight to the gym on Tuesday from the airport. Should keep me relatively on schedule. I've been happy with what I've been seeing so far - was able to add 5-10 pounds to the "big" lifts, and my pull/chin-ups have been slowly getting easier.

Makes sense. It's probably the area that gets the least attention.
It's why lifts that force the erector spinae are so important. Squats, deadlifts, presses.

A lot of it is about balance and aesthetics, although the preggo belly these days is pretty disgusting IMHO.
Made me think of how dumb hypertrophy focused training is. I don't follow or know enough about bodybuilding focused training to have an input on how correct the article is.

A lot of it is about balance and aesthetics, although the preggo belly these days is pretty disgusting IMHO.

Preggo belly is because of drug use. Crazy mixtures of drugs that cause all kinds of bloating and other bad things. That much I know.

Preggo belly is because of drug use. Crazy mixtures of drugs that cause all kinds of bloating and other bad things. That much I know.
Yes that's my understanding as well. Curious as to why hypertrophy training is so stupid tho?

Yes that's my understanding as well. Curious as to why hypertrophy training is so stupid tho?
Depends on the goal. If your goal is to look good with your shirt off, it's great.

But if you want to get stronger and not lose any flexibility, it's stupid. It's hard to fully get into it right now. But in general, it's a good way to trian and lose flexibility, lose explosive ability, and have no real ability to lift anything heavy.

Depends on the goal. If your goal is to look good with your shirt off, it's great.

But if you want to get stronger and not lose any flexibility, it's stupid. It's hard to fully get into it right now. But in general, it's a good way to trian and lose flexibility, lose explosive ability, and have no real ability to lift anything heavy.
I agree that just getting massive is stupid and those monster guys seem pretty limited but I think hypertrophy in general isnt all that pointless. I mean for us guys that don't have natural size (tall and thin genetics) some size gain along with strength of course isnt bad imo. I'm sure guys wIth bigger builds don't care because they just want to be strong but as a skinny guy being strong kinda sucks if u still look like a bean. 2 pieces of the puzzle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back