Some Help Filling My Bag please

autobot

Reaction score
My set currently consists of R9 irons (4 to PW), 1 SuperTri and 1 CG DST Hybrid (2i,18deg).

I'm kinda confused how best to fill up my bag with the clubs I need. I would definitely like to have a Superfast 3W and maybe a 5W, but seeing as I just bought a 2i hybrid, should I just forget abt the 5W?

OR maybe I'm better off returning the 2 Hybrid for a 3 hybrid, then getting the 3W and 5W? OR maybe just get everything - 3W,5W and keep the 2 Hybrid?

Aaaargh, so confused.......

Sidenote:

Went 50/50 with a buddy (Odyssey Sabretooth with insert YIKES!) Inserts feel weird to me but geez, we were sinking putts from everywhere at the shop! This putter will stay with me until I can get the one I really want....

get a 3w...if you feel you have to big of a gap between the 2hybrid and 4i, swap the 2 hybrid for like a 20 degree 3 hybrid. Right now your 2 hybrid is your 5W. could go 3w/5w/3hybrid

I think most of the questions depend on how you hit the equipment you have. If you're happy with that hybrid then I'd say you should keep it and get a 3w to compliment your driver. Then if you find you hit your hybrid longer than a normal 3 iron then go with a higher lofted hybrid to complete that gap between your 18 deg you have now and your 4 iron.

Covering distances is even more difficult once you start adding different brands and style of clubs.
Example, I bought a 18* adams pro off my buddy for cheap never having swung the club. I assumed it would cover the distance between my 15* 3w and 22* rescue 4w. Took it to the range to find it goes 10 yards farther than my 3w. (Less spin so therefore more boring trajectory with more roll out)

Anyways what i'm trying to say is that i'ld suggest going to somewhere that will let you try out a few different options. If you can't demo at a range try somewhere taht has a launch monitor. Thats what I had to do at Golf Galaxy. Their Launch monitor seems off.... (My 7 iron carries 165 in real life, monitor says 182ish...) but that didn't matter for me, they let me hit my 3w and rescue 4w so I could get an idea of their "numbers". Then I filled in the gap based on their number and when I got to the course my hybrid fit perfectly between my 3w and 4w.

I rambled a bit, but i'ld suggest dropping the 2I for a hybrid or fairway wood. I find the FW is still easier to hit off the tee than a hybrid. off the deck is a different story, but to each his own.

I say no 5w. and go 3w, 2 & 4 hybrid.(drop 4 iron) Then add 52,56,60 wedges.

in other words..... just match up with your bag bridges? Just kidding :angel:

Tough call and always frustrating. Before you buy check out what the distance gaps are. I made the mistake of not doing that. My 4h is like a replacement for my 3i. Dent also makes a good point about wedge set up. Very important.

I agree with bridges. If you wanted to keep the 4 iron you could just drop the 60. I used to have 5wds in all of my bags until I realized that I never used it. I now have a 2H in place of it and like the setup much better.

i have to agree with the wedges add a 3w a 3h then your irons, and wedges. IMO you will get more use out of carrying four wedges and less woods than you will carrying more woods and skimping on the wedge game

Depends on your distance and what courses you play I think.

If you're a short hitter.....lets just randomly say if you hit your PW less than 100 yards say, then you might be able to get by with 2 wedges (maybe a 54/60) where if you can carry more than 100 yards, perhaps a 3 wedge setup (52/56/60 is pretty standard) would be better.

Regarding the longer clubs:

3w - Pretty much a yes. This will go farther than the others on your list and is a good alternative to a driver without sacrificing too much.

5w/2h/3h - Assuming 3 wedges (which is probably better for most players), you can only carry 1 of these. Here you sorta have to decide. I would suggest only considering a 5w if you hit fairway woods better than hybrids. (And thus carry no hybrids) Otherwise, I'd go with a 3h.....it has better continuity to your 4-iron.

The 2h is a club that makes no sense to me. First of all, it's too big of a gap between a 2h and a 4-iron. (Which implies you need to have a 3h if you have a 2h) Second, it goes a little too far for me to consider using on a short par-4. Third, I've never had a par5 where I felt I needed it for a 2nd shot to the green. (Very dependent on your home course) And finally, among the higher handicap friends I play with, none hit a 2h as well as a 3w. I mean among good shots, a 3w would go farther. If you're talking about bad shots, a 2h mishit is most likely a ground ball.

But a 2h can also be choked to knock down to 3i distance. So its more versatile than a wood? Its not the size of the club, its how you use it...LOL
Depends on your distance and what courses you play I think.

If you're a short hitter.....lets just randomly say if you hit your PW less than 100 yards say, then you might be able to get by with 2 wedges (maybe a 54/60) where if you can carry more than 100 yards, perhaps a 3 wedge setup (52/56/60 is pretty standard) would be better.

Regarding the longer clubs:

3w - Pretty much a yes. This will go farther than the others on your list and is a good alternative to a driver without sacrificing too much.

5w/2h/3h - Assuming 3 wedges (which is probably better for most players), you can only carry 1 of these. Here you sorta have to decide. I would suggest only considering a 5w if you hit fairway woods better than hybrids. (And thus carry no hybrids) Otherwise, I'd go with a 3h.....it has better continuity to your 4-iron.

The 2h is a club that makes no sense to me. First of all, it's too big of a gap between a 2h and a 4-iron. (Which implies you need to have a 3h if you have a 2h) Second, it goes a little too far for me to consider using on a short par-4. Third, I've never had a par5 where I felt I needed it for a 2nd shot to the green. (Very dependent on your home course) And finally, among the higher handicap friends I play with, none hit a 2h as well as a 3w. I mean among good shots, a 3w would go farther. If you're talking about bad shots, a 2h mishit is most likely a ground ball.

It sorta depends though. This may be a completely unfair stereotype on my part, but if you have the skills to be "versatile" with your clubs, you probably don't have a question on what you want in the bag. :)

Besides, you could just take easy swings with your driver and hit every distance in between down to your wedges as well so technically it's possible to use driver on every par-3. Not saying it's the best idea but you can. :)

Thanks for all the advice guys:bashful:

Gotta say something first, I didnt mention that I have CG15 56 and 60 wedges, my bad.I was so focused on filling the gaps between the 4 iron and driver that I completely forgot to mention that I already have the wedges I want (for now at least).Sorry!

I think what I'll do is switch the 2H for a 3H, get the 3W and suspend the 5W for now, or at least until I've played with these clubs for a while then make adjustments to the bag later.

Back