Blades Vs Cavity Back

It is 100% personal. And its awesome that THPers have been saying that the entire time.
However I would say that the innovations in irons has not been anywhere near as high in the muscle back category to that of the cavity back. Then add that half of the categories in irons now didnt exist, and its not hard to see why things have been passed by.

Blades are not passed by, by any means...

Including the 'new category' Ti-Hybrid Blades....by Yonex

Blades look pretty. There's little argument from me there.

This is still going on awesome! To say a blade is forgiving is down right silly. More shot control I will totally agree. As has been said many times you need to have the game to get the full potential out of a blade. Forgiveness is not something you will get. A slightly mis struck shot and you will lose 10 to 15 yards. Don't get me wrong I love me some blades and will play them until my swing doesn't allow it.

Poll:
Two golfers of the same ability / hcp, one hits cavities, one hits blades, into greens.
Just based on GIR / Closest to the hole. Lets say the blade player hits more greens or is closer to the hole, or even
Does this make him a better iron ball striker, due to the fact that a blade is more difficult to hit in some's opinion?...you decide...

This is still going on awesome! To say a blade is forgiving is down right silly. More shot control I will totally agree. As has been said many times you need to have the game to get the full potential out of a blade. Forgiveness is not something you will get. A slightly mis struck shot and you will lose 10 to 15 yards. Don't get me wrong I love me some blades and will play them until my swing doesn't allow it.
I feel like you could bag a garden spade and still challenge par.

Poll:
Two golfers of the same ability / hcp, one hits cavities, one hits blades, into greens.
Just based on GIR / Closest to the hole. Lets say the blade player hits more greens or is closer to the hole, or even
Does this make him a better iron ball striker, due to the fact that a blade is more difficult to hit in some's opinion?

Trick question, you said they are the same ability. Therefor per the question, they are equally as proficient ballstrikers. It has nothing to do with what clubs they use.

Do you think people are of lower skill who don't play blades? Is Jordan Spieth and 70% of the PGA tour somehow lesser of players than you because you use blades and they don't? I'm not sure I follow why you're pushing so hard this idea that blades are somehow better clubs.

Poll:
Does this make him a better iron ball striker, due to the fact that a blade is more difficult to hit in some's opinion?...you decide...

Doesn't matter what the club is. If one is consistently closer to the hole than the other, they are a better ball striker.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

If the blade player and cavity player are the same handicap, but the blade player hits more GIRs and is closer to the hole, then the cavity player is a more complete golfer.

If the blade player and cavity player are the same handicap, but the blade player hits more GIRs and is closer to the hole, then the cavity player is a more complete golfer.

Bingo.

About 12% of PGA Tour members were playing a muscle back iron in competition last time I checked. That tells me all I need to know.

Yeah, only 12% of the people truly belong on tour. o_O
Bingo.

About 12% of PGA Tour members were playing a muscle back iron in competition last time I checked. That tells me all I need to know.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Callaway Apex Iron 2015

Titleist 716 AP2

Yonex Tri G Iron

Prefer the flight out of this Tri G over Callaway...

-------------------------------
Blades

Mizuno MP5 Blade

Mizuno MP5 Blade

Callaway Apex MB Blade

Cobra Fly Z Pro

Yonex MB Iron

Yonex MB Irons NICE!... they look better in the bag than a Christmas tree!

Blades dispersion looks tighter...

Last edited:
A good blade rarely goes out of style or performance.
I have been playing Hogan Blades almost 20 years. That is becoming familiar with a head / shaft combo for 20 years to groove a swing, trajectory, distance control. I have played the tried various shafts but grew up on Rifle FCM and today still play them. My orig set were Hogan Channel Backs / Fcm 6.0. All bent to the same loft lie, SW & length with bushnell my friend...I usually am pin high taking one variable out of play.

Some cavity players buy a new set of irons every year, along with different shafts, SW, lengths, lofts, lie... thus having to re-train muscle memory to delivery the club to the ball.
Perhaps they should have never sold the last set. Nick Faldo used the same shafts through 7 sets of blade heads through his entire winning career.

I think the main point here is... average golfers don't have the time or patience to learn to hit a blade...its takes 6 months min...really a year or two...with 2-3 games a week + range to be proficiently able to ball strike solidly with a high % of the time. This should be a major consideration in iron selection, and also consideration regarding comments to blades should be in relation to the time you actually gave to them...

Callaway Apex Iron 2015

Titleist 716 AP2

Yonex Tri G Iron

Prefer the flight out of this Tri G over Callaway...

-------------------------------
Blades

Mizuno MP5 Blade

Mizuno MP5 Blade

Callaway Apex MB Blade

Cobra Fly Z Pro

Yonex MB Iron

Yonex MB Irons NICE!... they look better in the bag than a Christmas tree!

Blades dispersion looks tighter...

So when you say you prefer one versus the other is it sound, feel, trajectory, looks, distance, dispersion or some other category of object or subject impression?

And of course this is your favorite. No judgment on whether your preferences are equal to mine.

By sound and trajectory I liked the MP -5's. But I was biased in my opinion. Jmtc

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Why does a golfer have to put in the time to acquire the consistency necessary to hit a blade?

I have been playing Hogan Blades almost 20 years. That is becoming familiar with a head / shaft combo for 20 years to groove a swing, trajectory, distance control. I have played the tried various shafts but grew up on Rifle FCM and today still play them. My orig set were Hogan Channel Backs / Fcm 6.0. All bent to the same loft lie, SW & length with bushnell my friend...I usually am pin high taking one variable out of play.

Some cavity players buy a new set of irons every year, along with different shafts, SW, lengths, lofts, lie... thus having to re-train muscle memory to delivery the club to the ball.
Perhaps they should have never sold the last set. Nick Faldo used the same shafts through 7 sets of blade heads through his entire winning career.

I think the main point here is... average golfers don't have the time or patience to learn to hit a blade...its takes 6 months min...really a year or two...with 2-3 games a week + range to be proficiently able to ball strike solidly with a high % of the time. This should be a major consideration in iron selection, and also consideration regarding comments to blades should be in relation to the time you actually gave to them...

Maybe you've answered this already, but why do you think guys like Lee Westwood, Jordan Speith, etc. All considered great ball strikers, choose to play non-blade style irons?

Why does a golfer have to put in the time to acquire the consistency necessary to hit a blade?
I think we need to put in the time to acquire consistency with all our clubs in order to improve our game.

I have an old set of irons I can hit cleanly with my eyes closed, just not as far as the XR Pro's. But the Club Ho in me wins over the desire to score.

But I bet I would go lower today. Zero practice with my 2000 set of clubs. Which I still own driver thru putter. But I love the shiny new clubs better. Score card be Damn.

I have been playing Hogan Blades almost 20 years.

So wait...which is it then? Have MB's had major strides in performance and technology like you were arguing before, or do they rarely go out of performance? You can't have it both ways. I get it, you play blades and have a chip on your shoulder for doing so, but your arguments on why they are somehow better are all over the place

So wait...which is it then? Have MB's had major strides in performance and technology like you were arguing before, or do they rarely go out of performance? You can't have it both ways. I get it, you play blades and have a chip on your shoulder for doing so, but your arguments on why they are somehow better are all over the place

the way I see it:

the best way to hit a nail, is to throw the nail away, and use a drill and screws. but if you really want to hit a nail, a hammer would be best.

the way I see it:

the best way to hit a nail, is to throw the nail away, and use a drill and screws. but if you really want to hit a nail, a hammer would be best.

hehe. I am just picturing the argument among carpenters. "You can't be a good carpenter unless you use a hammer. If you use a nail gun, then you will never be that good at building things."

the way I see it:

Martin, is that a Quebec saying? Haha

Martin, is that a Quebec saying? Haha

hahaha not at all.

just sayign that a "technology" (nail/blade) was the best avaiable some decades ago, but we since invented some technology(screws and cavity back irons) that can help us do the same tasks more evviciently.

My take is use whatever you like, but if you chose a blade, be ready to hit your thumb if your swing isn't always perfect

hahaha not at all.

just sayign that a "technology" (nail/blade) was the best avaiable some decades ago, but we since invented some technology(screws and cavity back irons) that can help us do the same tasks more evviciently.

My take is use whatever you like, but if you chose a blade, be ready to hit your thumb if your swing isn't always perfect

Haha just trying to get you going.

Love that last analogy.

hahaha not at all.

Not trying to kill a dead horse but.

In your opinion are Blades the modern day equivalents of Wooden Persimmons?

Is it time to retire Blades to your local museum? To be played by men in Knickerbockers.

Because I can clearly see how trying to hit a Hickory stick with it wooden head could never achieve the same results as a 460cc multi component driver with a graphite shaft.

But I dare say, that I am not convinced that the Blades can not be use every bit as skillfully used as a modern technology, multi material iron.

And appearance a side. Are there some applications where a blade might be a better choice? Short irons, as seen in combo iron setups and wedges.

Truly curious.

Seeking knowledge through open discussion and discourse.

Not trying to kill a dead horse but.

In your opinion are Blades the modern day equivalents of Wooden Persimmons?

Is it time to retire Blades to your local museum? To be played by men in Knickerbockers.

Because I can clearly see how trying to hit a Hickory stick with it wooden head could never achieve the same results as a 460cc multi component driver with a graphite shaft.

But I dare say, that I am not convinced that the Blades can not be use every bit as skillfully used as a modern technology, multi material iron.

And appearance a side. Are there some applications where a blade might be a better choice? Short irons, as seen in combo iron setups and wedges.

Truly curious.

Seeking knowledge through open discussion and discourse.

Hey Johan.

good questions and these answers are my opinion, please do not take them as facts as I am probably wrong.

In your opinion are Blades the modern day equivalents of Wooden Persimmons? yes and no. I do think that the technology gap is comparable, but I realise that they are much sexier that most cavity backs. and style being a criteria when most people shop for their clubs, I'd say they've got that going for them, that the persimmons don't.

Is it time to retire Blades to your local museum? no, people like to look at beautiful things, and I don't want to stop them doing so.

And appearance a side. Are there some applications where a blade might be a better choice? No

I think if you have a good amount of swing speed you can use blades no problem. The mishits are not as punishing with some oomph behind it. If you struggle in the swing speed department you should stick to something with alittle more help on the off center hits to help you retain some distance on those

Back