Callaway MD3 Wedges Review Thread

I hit a 52/10 S today in the store. I will be going back tomorrow with three clubs in hand to trade in for this. Hitting off the launch monitor and it took 5 swings to sell me. All were within a 30' radius laterally and all were in the 100y range. This has been my nightmare distance for a year now.

I loved the balance of the club and the heft of it. I didn't have to swing hard at all to get the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Made a point during my round today to utilize both the 54S and 58W as often as possible and hit shots from similar distances with each on different holes, I used the 54S and 58W very successfully from 50-75 yards, only used the 58W on shots shorter than 50, and only hit the 54S in spots from 75-120. I can't say I was disappointed with this approach as I was really looking to see where I will separate the 2 clubs during play but they both performed really well when I chose them. The W Grind just feels so easy, and the S grind just tells me to swing away as if it falls right in line with my A wedge. Good spin was there today which was nice to see as I was holding greens pretty well, my playing partner struggled getting as much bite but played his shots very well accordingly, I got whooped over 18 as he shot 2 under, but it's nice seeing the stopping power.

Had another round with these today. Mostly used the 56, and it can hold greens in Ohio just as good as California. Paired with the ChromeSoft the balls just stick to the green. The greens where also super wet, so they were really easy to hold.

That W grind is solid.

Yeah. I did hit one with my 60 w grind. It was a short sided chip. It stuck about 1 foot from pin for tap in par. Ball was semi buried in rough too. Just popped right out.

Use the 56-S today from everything from 100 yards in. That S grind is really suiting me. Had the 54-W Before but opted for the 56-S. It Was really solid for me today. I had one of my best chipping days in a long time today. I had to hit 3 flop shots with it and had no problem opening it up and executing the shot. Really versatile. Don't know what the 60-W will do for me that this 56-S can't

I plan on using my 60w mostly from bunkers. Opening it up in a bunker is "like cheating" to quote Mr. Cleveland. But I agree with you that the 56s also solid. I'm pretty happy with how easy it is for me to hit too.

I plan on using my 60w mostly from bunkers. Opening it up in a bunker is "like cheating" to quote Mr. Cleveland. But I agree with you that the 56s also solid. I'm pretty happy with how easy it is for me to hit too.

If RFC says it's good, it must be GOOOOD!!

i'm getting more and more comfortable with these wedges. A few times today a couple of approach shots went longer than expected and had a few 20yd or so pitch shots back into the green. I pulled the 58W one time to get over some trouble and it stopped right where it landed. The 54 S allows me to bring the ball in at a lower trajectory and still create spin. This was needed today as the wind was up to 15mph on certain holes. The 58*W out of the sand is like cheating as others said. I tested that out a few times and I've never checked a ball out of the bunkers as consistently as I do with this one.

I am thinking about a 56 S and a 60 W. Sadly it won't be until spring.

This will most likely be my exact same setup. Have the 56-S now and will add the 60-W soon.

That's what I have in the bag now and I love it

Any ideas why Callaway doesn't make a lefty 54* in the matte black? I play a Cleveland RTX CB in 54 and was interested in switching the MD3 to pair with my PM Grind 60 and I realized they don't make one. I guess I could consider the chrome version but I like the matte black better.

I have the 52/10 S now. 100y will be my b*tch this year!

I have the 52/10 S now. 100y will be my b*tch this year!

Hey Rob! Since I also have the ATV 52* (in your signature) I'd love to know how it compares to the MD3 52*

Hey Rob! Since I also have the ATV 52* (in your signature) I'd love to know how it compares to the MD3 52*

The ATV is much lighter, especially in the head. Fine for partial shots but I had to swing too hard to get max distance and at cost of control. The weight of the md3 really promotes a down and through swing for me. Means I don't have to swing so hard.

But even being heavier, the md3 is balanced. I like that a lot.

Got a 54 s grind for Christmas. Hope to get it out in the course on Sunday with some THPers.

The ATV is much lighter, especially in the head. Fine for partial shots but I had to swing too hard to get max distance and at cost of control. The weight of the md3 really promotes a down and through swing for me. Means I don't have to swing so hard.

But even being heavier, the md3 is balanced. I like that a lot.

I came from a 52 56 60 ATV setup to the 54S and 58W MD3s and you hit the nail on the head, felt like you had to step on it to get it all. The MD3s are so smooth, I didn't know what I was missing until I gamed these in comparison. That confidence is going to be huge when it counts more next spring.

I came from a 52 56 60 ATV setup to the 54S and 58W MD3s and you hit the nail on the head, felt like you had to step on it to get it all. The MD3s are so smooth, I didn't know what I was missing until I gamed these in comparison. That confidence is going to be huge when it counts more next spring.

Thanks Harv for the feedback. Question: you went from 3 wedges to 2; what was the process for this choice? Was it part of the fitting at ECPC? Or did this happen leading up to the Grandaddy event?

Thanks Harv for the feedback. Question: you went from 3 wedges to 2; what was the process for this choice? Was it part of the fitting at ECPC? Or did this happen leading up to the Grandaddy event?

Both, About two months prior the 52 lost its place in the bag to my old iron sets Gap Wedge, so I knew I was going with the set A wedge in the Apex CF16 line, so the third wedge was out. I wasn't sure what two wedge numbers would fill the gap best but I confirmed through fitting that 54 58 was the best for me after the A wedge. That 58W blows my old 60 out of the water, I have confidence with it like my old 56 but it also does everything that the 60 could do and better.

Both, About two months prior the 52 lost its place in the bag to my old iron sets Gap Wedge, so I knew I was going with the set A wedge in the Apex CF16 line, so the third wedge was out. I wasn't sure what two wedge numbers would fill the gap best but I confirmed through fitting that 54 58 was the best for me after the A wedge. That 58W blows my old 60 out of the water, I have confidence with it like my old 56 but it also does everything that the 60 could do and better.

Thanks man! I've never used a 60* - always felt I could open up the 58* & get plenty of height & soft landing shots. More importantly, I might need the extra club at the back end since I'm a shorter hitter & may have some gapping issues from 150 yards out. 54* & 58* was my initial idea.

I posted this in the PM wedge thread, but I'll ask here too:

Just wondering about the PM grind vs the MD3 W grind. Has anyone tried both in the higher lofts (58* or 60*)? Pros or cons of each?

Just wondering about the PM grind vs the MD3 W grind. Has anyone tried both in the higher lofts (58* or 60*)? Pros or cons of each?

I'm not a fan of the PM grind at all, just don't think it sets up well visually for me. But I am a big fan of the W grind on these. Pro's for the MD3 W grind are that they just flat out work. The wide sole helps for digging and its really great out of the sand. Not really sure there is a con to the W grind. If you're looking for a wide sole on a high lofted wedge, that would be the con against the PM grind though, because those have a pretty aggressive U grind on them.

I haven't used the W Grind but I do have a 64* PM Grind that I bent to a 52*. Once you get over the fact that it looks like a spatula you can really see how versatile this wedge is! I have made some unreal shots this year with it and it is so consistent out of the bunker and everywhere else. I just feel super confident with it in my hands.

Back