Cobra KING F6 Irons - THP Review Thread

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
In for review to THP is the new KING F6 irons from Cobra. Without a doubt one of their most aggressively innovative designs when it comes to irons, they are bringing a level of depth to the progressive set mentality that really has not been seen before on the market. The KING F6 set is actually made up for FOUR different design constructions which they are calling their "TECFLO" technology. The set will retail at $799.00 and is due for release on January 1, 2016. Cobra will also be offering the KING F6 in a Combo set featuring a full 2-3hy and 3-4hy flowing into the irons for $899.00.

THP received the KING F6 in a 4-GW orientation paired with stiff-flex Matrix Q4 Red-Tie graphite shafts.

Information from Cobra:

KING F6 IRONS
The KING of Progressive Iron sets. Optimum performance is achieved through advanced construction techniques. The result is an iron designed to create more feel, distance, precision and forgiveness.

• TECFLO CONSTRUCTION - Multiple construction technologies flow together to create the ultimate progressive irons. Each club in the set is designed to perform differently, optimized for performance to help golfers hit more greens and hit it closer to the pin.
  • SPEED CHANNEL SOLE - An engineered channel positioned on the sole, close to the leading edge of the iron and around the perimeter of the upper back cavity, creates more flex at impact to deliver greater distance through faster ball speeds.
  • PREMIUM CHROME PLATING - A new nickel chrome plating combined with a gunmetal PVD coating provides enhanced durability and a confidence inspiring aesthetic look at address.
  • T.O.P. TECHNOLOGY - An engineered aluminum cap replaces steel on dual cavity hollow irons which frees up 5g of discretionary weight which has been placed low and further back in the head creating a lower CG position for improved launch conditions and ball flight.
  • PROGRESSIVE SPIN TECH - F6 Irons come equipped with V-Grooves on 4-6 irons to reduce spin, U-Grooves on the 7-PW to optimize spin, and Wedge spaced grooves on the GW-SW to produce extra spin for shots around the green.
  • DEEP PERIMETER UNDERCUTTING - An extremely deep undercut creates the largest unsupported face ever in a COBRA set of irons, meaning you get extreme distance on center hits and consistent forgiving distance on off-center hits.
  • CNC MILLED GROOVES - CNC Milled Grooves increase spin and optimize trajectory throughout the set. This provides improved control and workability giving you added confidence when you're attacking the Pin.

TECFLO Set Design:
Screenshot%20%282%29-XL.png

Specifications:
ModelLoftLieOffset
(mm)
Graphite
Length
Steel
Length
Graphite Swing
Weight
Steel Swing
Weight
RH/LH
318° 60° 5.5 40.25"40.00" D0 D1 RH/LH
420°61°5.539.50"39.25"D0D1RH/LH
523°61.5°5.038.75"38.50"D0D1RH/LH
626°62°4.538.00"37.75"D0D1RH/LH
730°62.5°4.037.50"37.25"D0D1RH/LH
835°63°3.537.00"36.75"D0D1RH/LH
940°63.5°3.036.50"36.25"D0D1RH/LH
PW45°64°2.536.25"36.00"D1D2RH/LH
GW50°64°1.036.00"35.75"D1D2RH/LH
SW55°64°0.835.75"35.50"D2D3RH/LH

Shaft Options:

ModelFlexWeightKick PointTorqueTip Diameter
KING F6 Matrix Red Tie 65Q4S66gMid-LowMid0.335
KING F6 Matrix Red Tie 65Q4R63gMid-LowMid0.335
KING F6 Matrix Red Tie 65Q4A62gMid-LowMid0.335

ModelFlexWeightKick PointTorqueTip Diameter
KING F6 / FST Steel FlightedStiff100-110gMidMid0.370
KING F6 / FST Steel FlightedRegular100-110gMidMid0.370

In-Hand Images:

DSC_0787-XL.jpg

DSC_0775-XL.jpg

DSC_0773-XL.jpg

DSC_0771-XL.jpg

DSC_0745-XL.jpg

DSC_0746-XL.jpg

DSC_0750-XL.jpg

DSC_0747-XL.jpg

DSC_0751-XL.jpg

DSC_0752-XL.jpg

DSC_0754-XL.jpg

DSC_0776-XL.jpg

DSC_0777-XL.jpg

DSC_0778-XL.jpg

DSC_0779-XL.jpg

DSC_0780-XL.jpg

DSC_0781-XL.jpg

DSC_0755-XL.jpg

DSC_0756-XL.jpg

DSC_0759-XL.jpg

DSC_0757-XL.jpg

DSC_0762-XL.jpg

DSC_0763-XL.jpg

DSC_0764-XL.jpg

DSC_0766-XL.jpg

DSC_0767-XL.jpg

DSC_0768-XL.jpg

DSC_0769-XL.jpg

DSC_0770-XL.jpg

DSC_0782-XL.jpg

DSC_0783-XL.jpg

• Staff
Individual Iron Images (Flange, sole, face, topline):

4i:
DSC_0706-L.jpg

DSC_0707-L.jpg

DSC_0708-L.jpg

DSC_0713-L.jpg

5i:
DSC_0714-L.jpg

DSC_0715-L.jpg

DSC_0716-L.jpg

DSC_0717-L.jpg

6i:
DSC_0718-L.jpg

DSC_0719-L.jpg

DSC_0720-L.jpg

DSC_0721-L.jpg

7i:
DSC_0722-L.jpg

DSC_0723-L.jpg

DSC_0724-L.jpg

DSC_0725-L.jpg

8i:
DSC_0726-L.jpg

DSC_0727-L.jpg

DSC_0728-L.jpg

DSC_0729-L.jpg

9i:
DSC_0730-L.jpg

DSC_0731-L.jpg

DSC_0733-L.jpg

DSC_0734-L.jpg

PW:
DSC_0735-L.jpg

DSC_0736-L.jpg

DSC_0737-L.jpg

DSC_0738-L.jpg

GW:
DSC_0739-L.jpg

DSC_0740-L.jpg

DSC_0741-L.jpg

DSC_0742-L.jpg

The more I see of these, the more I like them. Love the combo set in the GI space.

One thing - in the picture showing the TecFlo progression, it shows the PW as bladed, but the in hand pictures look like it has a cavity. Or is it just my eyes playing tricks on me?

Wow. Those are stunning. Love the concept of this set. Looking forward to the feedback, James

cant wait for the review. These look amazing.

Talk about options in a progressive set, that's awesome, so much great tech in one set.

• Staff
So, I got out with these yesterday both on the monitor as well as the course, there are some definite initial thoughts going on here:

• Looks wise, it'll be hit and miss IMO. I think they look better as I've been around them more, but at first was definitely iffy on the color scheme. However, I showed them to 6 different people on the course yesterday and every single one of them commented on how they liked the looks a lot. Its going to to be an interesting thing to follow.
  • They are freaking LIGHT in hand. Particularly after warming up with my CF16 and then moving to these. The Red-Tie shafts in stiff come in at 66g's and its definitely noticeable. That said, they held up to my swing just fine, they definitely rewarded a smooth swing the most.
  • Easy freaking launch. I mean that, the launch numbers I have seen early on throughout the set is nothing short of eye opening, I'll get more finite on that # wise as time goes on. Peak heights are all well over 30y and in the 4i its a sight to behold for me personally.
  • Spin is pretty low, which really seems to maximize what the launch can do in terms of distance. Plus, with really nice descent angles still shots into greens were seeing plenty of stick (and I had no problem backing mid irons up when hit into greens).
  • My ultimate concern coming in was the sound/feel. Particularly in the hollow-body and half-hollow clubs, I feared that "thonk" like sound. But, I've been nothing short of pleasantly surprised by the feedback through the set. They've got a nice crisp sound to them at impact that avoids being harsh and also never toes into the territory of giving off that "springy" sensation that we have had with some sets which feature hollow body irons. Most interesting though it the feel is shockingly uniform throughout the set, no massive differences that would serve as a turn off when moving from hollow to half-hollow to cavity-back to muscle-back.
  • Though they are a GI set, the offset and topline really does a good job of not being the stand-out focal point of the set. I'm personally quite finnicky on both and have no issues at all looking down at these.
  • LONG. Really, really long. I want more data here, but I was hitting these 10 yards further than my gamers. One shot was a 7i from 189 which is bonkers. Again, I need more time and data here.

I mean this when I say it, it may be early but I honestly believe this is technologically the most unique and well done set of irons that Cobra has released. There are parts of them that really remind me of some of the best GI sets I've ever played/reviewed (looking at you SpeedBlades) but then they take the idea of a progressive set and take it places that we have never seen before. FOUR unique design traits/types blended into one set of irons that play as such pretty seamlessly from what I have seen so far has a chance to be a MASSIVELY big deal for Cobra.

More soon.

Those look good. Cobra is doing good things. Can't wait to see how the tech in these perform.

Officially, I will play my Apex irons until the third or fourth time I have to get them re-grooved, because I love them so.

Off the record, I want these, like, real bad. I love what Cobra is bringing to 2016.

TBH I felt they were pretty similar to any other Cobra Iron of the last decade to hit. Blindfolded they felt similar to Amps or Biocells. They were quite attractive at first glance in the wedge up through the mid irons.

The long irons were ugly and hybrid-like. Didn't hit the long iron as well as my current hybrid so didn't see the point of it existing. It really looked ugly.

On second glance the mid irons had this cheap looking badge - well more of a sticker - that wrapped down into the cavity and looked cheap.

The short irons were nice and very good option.

I tried the forged iron too and it was very attractive but I'd have trouble telling it from an Amp Forged except it looked 5x as good.

TBH I felt they were pretty similar to any other Cobra Iron of the last decade to hit. Blindfolded they felt similar to Amps or Biocells. They were quite attractive at first glance in the wedge up through the mid irons.

The long irons were ugly and hybrid-like. Didn't hit the long iron as well as my current hybrid so didn't see the point of it existing. It really looked ugly.

On second glance the mid irons had this cheap looking badge - well more of a sticker - that wrapped down into the cavity and looked cheap.

The short irons were nice and very good option.

I tried the forged iron too and it was very attractive but I'd have trouble telling it from an Amp Forged.

Having gamed the Bio's and spent time with every other Cobra iron release of the last 3-4 years, I definitely don't see what you are, ESPECIALLY when going back through my recorded data for the other sets.

As to the badges, having them sitting here next to me right now I really don't see what you mean about the 'sticker' aspect of them either.

But, everyone's opinions/tastes vary for sure and I respect the hell out of that. Luckily I think I managed to put up more than enough photos for everyone to get a really good sense of the details of the set.

Mark my words though, in terms of performance, THIS is the iron set that Cobra has been trying to create, and its now no wonder to my just why they are SO adamantly excited about it. They've truly never done anything like this before.

Wow, that is unique. They look good too.

Nice review Jman! I like the looks of them personally. You mentioned higher launch... I like that! Going to see if the local pro shop will have these and hopefully try them for myself.

Me likey. I am a believer in what Cobra has done and continue to love what they bring to the game

Cool looking set of irons. Why do they want to lower spin in the longer irons. I may be wrong but it sounds like you would need to account for roll out when hitting into a green.

Edit. I learned to read past the first post. I love hitting a high ball and it sounds like these will easily do that.

Really like what you are seeing so far. To be honest not a fan of the looks of the 4i and 5i. Just doesn't appeal to me. Now the 6 thru GW look amazing IMO. And red tie stock!?!?! Love that as since I tried the shaft I love it! Really want to get to hit these.

Fantastic pictiees JMan. Intersting thoughts so far.

Excellent in-hand pics and initial thoughts, Jman. It seems like for a GI club, the makeup of them especially in the long irons could veer into almost SGI territory in performance but not looks. Getting good height is always a concern for a higher capper like myself, and it seems initially like these clubs deliver in that aspect.

Thanks all. Should be a really fun review as I'm still pretty stunned by what I saw on testing day one with them.

Can you do a side by side with cf 16? Both short and long iron.
It'll take a couple days as clubs are away for the holiday, but absolutely.

Wider sole, longer heel to toe, thicker topline, but more offset.

It'll take a couple days as clubs are away for the holiday, but absolutely.

Wider sole, longer heel to toe, thicker topline, but more offset.

Thats cool. Enjoy the holidays and family time. Thanks for the verbal differences

Having gamed the Bio's and spent time with every other Cobra iron release of the last 3-4 years, I definitely don't see what you are, ESPECIALLY when going back through my recorded data for the other sets.

As to the badges, having them sitting here next to me right now I really don't see what you mean about the 'sticker' aspect of them either.

But, everyone's opinions/tastes vary for sure and I respect the hell out of that. Luckily I think I managed to put up more than enough photos for everyone to get a really good sense of the details of the set.

Mark my words though, in terms of performance, THIS is the iron set that Cobra has been trying to create, and its now no wonder to my just why they are SO adamantly excited about it. They've truly never done anything like this before.

Cobra has always had a distinctive feel they go for. I've always liked them. Saying that they are similar to Amp or Biocell is not really meant as a bad thing. It's typical Cobra though. I think they have gone back to a more normal sound from the Flyz. If a person is expecting something hugely different, they will be disappointed. But if you want Cobra with improved options this is a great set.

Its been a month, but I believe it was the mid irons that had a cheap looking sticker that wrapped down into the cavity. It really was unattractive. The finish was really sharp. The long irons were gadawful looking.

Your pictures are fantastic and give a good impression of the nice finish, but they kind of make the stickers look nicer than they are.

After hitting them I remember thinking. 'Should just buy some Amps and save many hundreds of dollars. Course I remember hitting Amps and thinking the same about S3. And hitting S3 and'... well you get the idea. The ball flight and feel was typically Cobra.

Interesting stuff indeed, I can say without a doubt the launch and spin characteristics of these are pretty significantly different than that of the amp, bio, and Fly, in a very good way.

Those look pretty nice. Cobra is up to some interesting things in late 2015 and in 2016.

Back