Interesting Club & Bag Setup Thought - Second Driver

3 or so degrees, but there is a lot more to the distance than loft. For me it is all about the gap. The heaven wood is 4-5 degrees different than the 3 wood but because of launch and carry distance being what I am looking for, there is only about a 10 yard difference at the very most.

And frankly at the courses I am playing, if I am 220+ out, I need to look at other options.

make sense, especially if you have an extra spot in the bag, why not try it out

Hi JB. I suspect the outcome you are hoping for is a club that performs like your 3W off the tee, but with a bigger face and therefore added consistency. I'll do the same with my driver by simply accentuating the reverse K setup position a little and choking up an inch to an inch and a half. You might want to first experiment on a launch monitor doing this with and without choking up. There are couple of reasons for suggesting this.

1. You might find you actually hit the ball farther with your current club. Lots of us have too low a launch angle on our drivers (from either having a descending angle of attack, too low a loft on the face or both). That would be important to know regardless of what you decide to do afterwards.

2. You'll learn how well you can hit it making the setup adjustments described. To many this is easier than than trying to find and adjust to a second club.

Just food for thought.

Should be cool to see how this ends up working and if it's something that sticks. Good luck and keep us posted.

I was thinking about this the other day. I have an extra driver shaft and can adjust my driver to 12*. My only problem is I dont have the knowledge on what is suppose to weigh what to make it work properly. Personally I would feel super comfortable with a club like that.

JB, if it works, it works. I use my 3 wood several times a round, so I'm staying with my current setup, but there is nothing wrong with going with 2 drivers if it suits your needs. I hope it works.

I personally like the smaller driver heads these days. I believe that less cc and smaller face means the less chance of twisting at impact, so I have gone in that direction.

That is what is great about clubs today. So many options.

An open spot calls for a 64° where you can hit absolute moon balls! I mean literally, you can hit, walk under it and be waiting to mark it.... ?

Hi JB. I suspect the outcome you are hoping for is a club that performs like your 3W off the tee, but with a bigger face and therefore added consistency. I'll do the same with my driver by simply accentuating the reverse K setup position a little and choking up an inch to an inch and a half. You might want to first experiment on a launch monitor doing this with and without choking up. There are couple of reasons for suggesting this.

1. You might find you actually hit the ball farther with your current club. Lots of us have too low a launch angle on our drivers (from either having a descending angle of attack, too low a loft on the face or both). That would be important to know regardless of what you decide to do afterwards.

2. You'll learn how well you can hit it making the setup adjustments described. To many this is easier than than trying to find and adjust to a second club.

Just food for thought.

Having a FlightScope here made that pretty easy.
Thankfully it is something I have tested out a few times.

An open spot calls for a 64° where you can hit absolute moon balls! I mean literally, you can hit, walk under it and be waiting to mark it.... 

Hahah. No 64* for me, as the 60* PM Grind is so freaking versatile, I cant imagine the need to go higher loft for myself.

Now this is an interesting move and I'm glad to see your playing the proper tees for your game. Now, as straight and long as you hit your driver, when might you use the shorter driver?

Now this is an interesting move and I'm glad to see your playing the proper tees for your game. Now, as straight and long as you hit your driver, when might you use the shorter driver?

Thanks. I have been hitting the driver really well. This would come into play quite a few times I think. Most look at this from an accuracy stand point and that is less of the concern for me compared to distance. If I am hopping on a tee box and driver is too much club, and I would normally hit the 3 wood, this would be the play.

That could be at a hole where the fairway runs out from a dog leg or water or just takes larger fairway bunkers out of play. It could also be playing to a certain number on a hole for better shot in based on location or distance. There are a number of times a round where I think that I prefer the 225 yard shot off the tee (my 3 wood is 225 to 235 and this would be the club for it. In turn it will add more forgiveness due to size of face and the club I am choosing.

I have the same setup this since I got my Heavenwood and it's been working pretty well for me. I might try to add my 3w back in because I think I'll get a little more yardage out of it and the tee shot on #9 needs to be a little lower than the beautifully high launch that I get from the Heavenwood off the tee.

I like it, I would consider doing the same. I agree that a bigger head and shorter shaft is more advantageous.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Why is my mind in the gutter.

So it's going to be XXIO with THP project X custom shaft at 3 wood length.

Should be a great combo for you. Nice to have options off the tee.

9 or Prime?

The looks of the Prime draw me in, but the 9 is something special. Talked to someone there last week that said the 9 might be the most forgiving head the brand has ever made.

The looks of the Prime draw me in, but the 9 is something special. Talked to someone there last week that said the 9 might be the most forgiving head the brand has ever made.
Completely believe it about the forgiving part. So good in that aspect.

Completely believe it about the forgiving part. So good in that aspect.

I think this will be something my bag will enjoy this year. There are 3 holes in the last 2 rounds where I said "Man I wish I could hit driver here", but due to length it is just not feasible. Heavenwood was a great option, but a tad short, and this will be perfect.

The 3 wood is fantastic, but I just use it so little off the tee.

The 14* BB Mini and driver perform similar roles for me. I'm looking for an option after the 4h since the mini is off the tee only. Right now a I'm pretty content with my G15 4w.

I was actually thinking a bit about this today - I can definitely see how this would work well for some setups. Even at the mini driver (44") length, I could see a more forgiving head paired with a longer/lower spin setup. I love the Vapor Pro I picked up, but when it's off, it's waaay off. The Bertha is a lot more steady, but the longest drives are shorter.

You can't go wrong with having more options off of the tee. I think you're onto something special, I'm curious to see how it goes!

I don't think I would ever play 2 drivers. One is hard enough to play consistently. Whatever works for YOU though.

How will you adjust weight?

Ere are numerous ways to work with swing weight, but in this case XXIO will be doing it.

Have you hit the setup yet? I'm curious how it hits the gap you want.

I wouldn't do this with my game as my gaps aren't like yours and I like versatility with each club. But I'm curious how it works for you in practice.

With the addition of the new Callaway Great Big Bertha Heavenwood, I am finding less and less use for a 3 wood. In fact my last 2 rounds, I have not hit it a single time. I was able to go for a par 5 in 2 on two occasions and both times it was the heavenwood for the play.

So that leaves me with a spot open in the bag and I think I am going to add a second driver. As some might remember, I was not a big fan of the smaller "drivers" that came out over the last couple of years from a personal stand point, because I feel as though a full size head offers more benefits.

So I am going to take the plunge. Im going to take a higher lofted driver head, take a shortened shaft (3 wood length) and drop it in the bag. Maximum surface area, center of gravity playing back to offer higher ball flight, spin and forgiveness. The driver currently in my bag, I hit further, better and with less issues than any I have ever had, so this will be a unique spot when I feel the need for it.

For the club, I think I am going to go with a XXIO driver, most likely in 11.5 degrees and paired with it will be a Project X HandCrafted cut to 3 wood length.
Tried this several times trying to build a "thriver". Never worked out for me. The 3Deep ended up as a better option, which surprised me because the logic of using a larger head makes sense. The higher lofted drivers always seemed to set up closed for me, and having a left going left miss is my nemesis. But, I never tried it with an adjustable head that would let me open the face. Of course, this would also reduce the effective loft.

Back