Lynchburg14

Reaction score
Handicap
I checked and did not see a surfing thread so thought I would start one. I started surfing or trying to anyways with a paddle board about 3 years ago. On a recent trip to Costa Rica I took every chance I had to surf while there. Here is a video I made from all the gopro footage.

Here are some pics from the trip also.
Screen%20Shot%202015-12-12%20at%205.08.32%20PM.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Screen%20Shot%202015-12-12%20at%205.04.34%20PM.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Screen%20Shot%202015-12-12%20at%205.09.50%20PM.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Screen%20Shot%202015-12-12%20at%205.09.08%20PM.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Screen%20Shot%202015-12-12%20at%205.10.27%20PM.png
[/URL][/IMG]

G0300903.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

1207150957.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

1207150957a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I used a boogie board in Hawaii in 2003. Took me forever to catch a wave and when I did, it was a good one! And then it said, "See ya!" and disappeared, and I went face first into the ocean floor. They said I was about 15 feet up when the wave went away, After I got up, a wave came in and knocked me off my feet, and then it happened again.

Then some kid came up to me and said, "Your board is way over there." So I told him if he goes over to get it, he could have it, haha.

Then I retired from any kind of surfing.

Great work with the GoPro, cool video man!

I used to live in VA Beach and before my kids were born, was surfing twice a day when there was a hurricane swell. As little as VA Beach can be, when there is a great swell, the surf is awesome! I was one of the Dawn Patrol at 1st Street and surfed year round. I sadly never got the chance to surf in Costa Rica, but surfed all over the East Coast, Hawaii and also surfed Trestles in CA.

I live in South Jersey and haven't gotten a change to surf at all in the last 5 years. I miss it A TON. I love the water!

I used a boogie board in Hawaii in 2003. Took me forever to catch a wave and when I did, it was a good one! And then it said, "See ya!" and disappeared, and I went face first into the ocean floor. They said I was about 15 feet up when the wave went away, After I got up, a wave came in and knocked me off my feet, and then it happened again.

Then some kid came up to me and said, "Your board is way over there." So I told him if he goes over to get it, he could have it, haha.

Then I retired from any kind of surfing.
Takes a smart man to know when to walk away. I love the fact you told the kid that he can have it if he could get it

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I used to live in VA Beach and before my kids were born, was surfing twice a day when there was a hurricane swell. As little as VA Beach can be, when there is a great swell, the surf is awesome! I was one of the Dawn Patrol at 1st Street and surfed year round. I sadly never got the chance to surf in Costa Rica, but surfed all over the East Coast, Hawaii and also surfed Trestles in CA.

I live in South Jersey and haven't gotten a change to surf at all in the last 5 years. I miss it A TON. I love the water!
Man you got to surf some great places. I go out as much as I can depending on water temp in Va Beach (got to get 3/2 full or higher wet-suit). I go out at 67th street because there is a nice sand bar and mostly just other SUP's.

I lived in San Diego when I was in the Navy and took up surfing while I lived there.
Used to frequent La Jolla, and Mission beaches a lot and Pt. Loma sometimes.

It took forever it seemed, Until I found Sex Wax!

I miss surfing a lot. Picked it up in Santa Barbara when I was in college, just a 5 minute bike ride to a few spots, then a few in Ventura and Rincon. I also went down to San Diego a few times which was awesome.

Since moving back east, I haven't picked it back up though. Wish I did; surfing is a lot of fun.

I grew up surfing in Newport & Huntington Beach. Used to body board a lot and then got into longboarding. When I moved up north I surfed through college and then kind of got bored with it. I guess I just got sick of cold water and beach closures from sharks. The sharks in these parts are of the large variety, no thanks.

Video won't load for me since I'm on a work computer, but the photos look great.

It's been about 5 months since I've surfed--just don't have the time I would like to get out there. It's frustrating at times being in Wilmington, NC and not being able to get out much, especially since we've had some really fund days recently. I can't wait for my son to get older to get him out in the water.

I grew up surfing in Newport & Huntington Beach. Used to body board a lot and then got into longboarding. When I moved up north I surfed through college and then kind of got bored with it. I guess I just got sick of cold water and beach closures from sharks. The sharks in these parts are of the large variety, no thanks.

Sounds like a good reason to stop. Only seen one so far was most likely a bull shark but it was going one way and I went the other way quick.

Ive always liked surfing but have never done it, but i think next year id like to give it a go. I used to catch waves on my Scott body board when i was younger.

With temps at 68 today and water temps around 64 I surfed today with a buddy for 5 straight hours in my spring suit. To the point where I was cramping up so we called it a day.

With temps at 68 today and water temps around 64 I surfed today with a buddy for 5 straight hours in my spring suit. To the point where I was cramping up so we called it a day.

that is awesome, man. we've had some good surf here since Thanksgiving--I just haven't been able to get in the water. i will would love the weather to stay this way all year.

that is awesome, man. we've had some good surf here since Thanksgiving--I just haven't been able to get in the water. i will would love the weather to stay this way all year.
Yeah other than the fog all day it was perfect in Rodanthe. I could do without all the rain but loving the temps

Yeah other than the fog all day it was perfect in Rodanthe. I could do without all the rain but loving the temps

I bet it was really good there. It's been clean all day the last few days with the fog here in Wilmington.

I bet it was really good there. It's been clean all day the last few days with the fog here in Wilmington.
Yeah it was super clean. Can't remember ever seeing the fog like it was today. There were several times we had drifted about a quarter mile down the beach and could not see where we had started.

I got out today for the first time in 6 months. Surf was only in the waist high range, but being able to get out in board shorts in the end of is phenomenal in my book. Clean lines and no one else in the water. It was a solid session.

I got out today for the first time in 6 months. Surf was only in the waist high range, but being able to get out in board shorts in the end of is phenomenal in my book. Clean lines and no one else in the water. It was a solid session.

Got to be one of the best ways to end the year.

Slater's wave pool above is absolutely insane! I tried surfing once and fell on my ass like 20 times LOL. It would seem that my water riding should remain limited to the frozen variety!

I haven't surfed since breaking my leg 4 years ago (not from surfing), but used to get out quite often. Favorite breaks were Sebastian Inlet and Cocoa Beach pier. Jax Beach has a decent shore break but pretty small most days.

Checked out Mavericks beach while out in Cali this past October. Was a calm day but was awesome to see the iconic rocks and cliffs.

7d7676c7409cf223b87c5ce5229805ac.jpg

e8472de989fe95e2ed5c5f9a2b1d74c1.jpg

Back