Do You Keep An Accurate Handicap?

I kept an unofficial one for about 2 years before I got an official one last year. I wanted to track my progress and then used the official one in club and THP events.

My membership to the handicap site is technically lapsed but it's the off season, so no big deal. That caveat aside, yes I normally keep one. My reasons are that it's needed for some events - THP and otherwise - and it works to set and work toward goals, which is very nice.

Official index since 1981. I turn in all scores wether it's 9 or 18 holes.

I tried to this year, but I am so bad about actually remember to input the score. One of my plans in '16 is to enter all of my scores.

Yes. An official handicap is needed for MGA and other tournaments at the club I belong to as well as having one for possible member-guest events. It also helps me track my game without the bother of spreadsheets and the like.

I have had an "official" handicap for many years. We use our index in all our games we play 4-5 days per week. Whether it's accurate or not is a another question since we turn in all scores, even when playing "winter rules" in horrid conditions. I don't think those scores should be included but everyone in my groups does it so it is accurate or our purposes. Where it becomes unfair, spring tournaments when conditions are better and our group is carrying huge handicaps from playing in the soupy wet winter conditions thus we have an advantage over the people who didn't turn in the winter scores.

I used Golf Frontier in my old phone and it kept an unofficial handicap based on the USGA formula.

Now that I have a new phone I'm wondering if it would be acceptable to move my old scores over to my new phone and app, or if I should "start from scratch ".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used golflogix this year and that gave me a good estimate I think. For me just getting back into it, it was good to not have to worry about having a handicap as much because I was trying to get back into the game and have fun with it. I burned myself out 5 years ago because I got way to focused on the score and my index. Next year I plan on doing an official handiap.

I've played in a women's league the past two seasons. Last season I was injured for most of the year and didn't post very many rounds with the club. Were the 2016 regs in force I'd have only posted 6 rounds the entire year. I've been debating upon the need to even keep one since I don't play competitively.

The question is, "Do I need a handicap to measure my progress, or are my gross scores sufficient for that?" I know saying "I'm a 18 handicapper" sounds better than saying "I shoot about 90." But then you can shoot 90 and be a 16 handicapper depending upon the course on which you play.

I also have Game Golf that keeps track of my stats. Basically my game sucks. I'm a 90s golfer. Will having the USGA tell me I'm a 16-17 handicapper make me feel better? No. GHIN tells me I'm a 21 handicapper because I can't shoot under 95 on my home course which has a course rating and slope much lower than the courses I shoot 90.

I did not keep one last year ... 99% of the rounds I play are with the same group of guys, and we take give-me on the greens and will move a ball on occasion ... we are usually lost in a conversation and really just enjoying the day ... we rarely discuss our scores at the end of the round. Might play a hole to see who buys the beer at the end, but that is about it.

Its my goal in 2016 to get back on the handicap wagon.

It's easy to keep track of an unofficial one, but I have kept an official handicap for the last 3 seasons. I've only played in a few events where one is needed.

Yes. I belong to a Men's Club. Need it for tourney and qualifiers.

I tried to this year, but I am so bad about actually remember to input the score. One of my plans in '16 is to enter all of my scores.

just make it like your not done with your golf day till you put your score in. Usually first thing I do once I get home and put the clubs away. I almost look at it like a responsibility. Take care of it right away and your done. Let it go till later and laziness sets in then forgetfulness, then skipping it all together. Yea its only golf but hey, if you really want to keep one for whatever the reason than try treating it like its part of your round.

Just low enough to be considered a "player" just high enough to get as many strokes as possible to #BeatOhio.

But really, no I do not. I don't post rounds at all and have no official site any longer to go to.

Yes so that when I go to Scotland this spring I can play some of the courses with handicap restrictions

Yes so that when I go to Scotland this spring I can play some of the courses with handicap restrictions

print your card and bring it with you. some will tell you the starter never asked, but when I went I was asked. In fact, a guy ahead of me in the queue was asked, didn't have one, and they sent him away. dude had been in line since before 4am.

I do, I post as many rounds as I can.

I have mine through us handicap but only because I wanted to gauge my progress last year. Depending on my work schedule 2016 might be the last year I keep one.

Nope. Until recently I didn't even keep score. Now that I am officially playing bogie golf consistently, I am getting better about the score keeping and plan to start keeping a handicap next spring.

Yes which is included in my membership at my club. HDCP is required to play in alot of my tourneys

The league keeps one for there games, so I have a pretty close handicap. Its a touch higher just because I play on Wednesdays and out on the weekends more.

I use swing by swing app. I count scores up to 8 so it's probably not super accurate because I'm around a 13 and I think you're only supposed to count doubles at worst I believe.

I use swing by swing app. I count scores up to 8 so it's probably not super accurate because I'm around a 13 and I think you're only supposed to count doubles at worst I believe.

At a 13 course handicap, your ESC max on any hole would be a 7.

See:

https://www.usga.org/HandicapFAQ/handicap_answer.asp?FAQidx=9

Note the distinction that ESC is based off your course handicap, not your index. However, being solidly inside the middle of that 10-19 range, it's unlikely your course handicap would differ so much from your index that your ESC max would change.

Yes, I use the GHIN through my mens club at my home course.
This is needed for tournaments that I enter and to monitor my "potential".

Back