Callaway Great Big Bertha Fairway Wood Preview Thead

I put a GBB 3W and 5W in the bag for #TheGrandaddy, and came away very impressed. As someone who typically didn't get along with fairways, these 2 were life savers for me, and probably the two clubs I hit the best all week. I used the 3W off the tee almost exclusively because I was having some struggles with my driver, but I also wasn't giving up much distance thanks to the GBB 3W. At 1 point our caddie measured my 5W shot at 235, which is huge for me, and that was out of the rough. I don't list the yardage to thump my chest, but to say that I found these very long and easy to hit, both off the tee and off the deck.

Hit the 3W all day off the tee, and came away pretty pleased. I have not been swinging driver well at all, and this 3W while I feel like I only hit it well 3 or 4 times all day, I was rarely left with a bad result.

Now I am trying to figure out whether I should drop the 7W and add the 5W... really don't need it, but something I will be thinking about.

I was fit into the GBB 3w & D9 both with the Kuro Kage 50S. While I was being fitted the D9 & HW were overlapping in distances. After talking to the fitter and trusting his opinion, I dropped the HW and stuck with the D9.

I am glad I listened. While I am sure the HW would have given me the same results, real course situations were met with positive results. I was absolutely crushing these two clubs. I took the 3W off the tee a few times and saw great results. The majority of their use was off the deck & this is where they shined, especially the D9. Where ive come to rely on my HW as my go to club, the D9 took that spot immediately. I could swing with confidence knowing I could keep my lines and had not issues working the ball either way with these. Callaway managed to give me more distance than the VSeries and forgiveness didn't suffer. The Hyper Cup Face allowed me to retain ball speeds across the face & each time I pulled this club the positive vibes were there. When the Callaway guys are saying that they need to confiscate my clubs because I am hitting them too good tells me all I need to know.

I can't wait to get these clubs out on the courses and see how much further I see gains v the VSeries I played before.

I was fit into the GBB 3w & D9 both with the Kuro Kage 50S. While I was being fitted the D9 & HW were overlapping in distances. After talking to the fitter and trusting his opinion, I dropped the HW and stuck with the D9.

I am glad I listened. While I am sure the HW would have given me the same results, real course situations were met with positive results. I was absolutely crushing these two clubs. I took the 3W off the tee a few times and saw great results. The majority of their use was off the deck & this is where they shined, especially the D9. Where ive come to rely on my HW as my go to club, the D9 took that spot immediately. I could swing with confidence knowing I could keep my lines and had not issues working the ball either way with these. Callaway managed to give me more distance than the VSeries and forgiveness didn't suffer. The Hyper Cup Face allowed me to retain ball speeds across the face & each time I pulled this club the positive vibes were there. When the Callaway guys are saying that they need to confiscate my clubs because I am hitting them too good tells me all I need to know.

I can't wait to get these clubs out on the courses and see how much further I see gains v the VSeries I played before.

I witnessed this and you really were smashing them off the deck. Fun to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put a GBB 3W and 5W in the bag for #TheGrandaddy, and came away very impressed. As someone who typically didn't get along with fairways, these 2 were life savers for me, and probably the two clubs I hit the best all week. I used the 3W off the tee almost exclusively because I was having some struggles with my driver, but I also wasn't giving up much distance thanks to the GBB 3W. At 1 point our caddie measured my 5W shot at 235, which is huge for me, and that was out of the rough. I don't list the yardage to thump my chest, but to say that I found these very long and easy to hit, both off the tee and off the deck.

I can vouch for this as well!

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone tried the 3w with a heavier shaft? Something in the 70-80g range?

Has anyone tried the 3w with a heavier shaft? Something in the 70-80g range?

Yes, I have the rogue I/o 70S in mine.

Is GBB as easy off deck as XR ? Happy with my 5w , but all this praise...might upgrade or add a 7w.

Is GBB as easy off deck as XR ? Happy with my 5w , but all this praise...might upgrade or add a 7w.

I think its very similar off the deck actually. Heck it might even be easier.

Had probably the my best shot of the round today with this club. I had topped a 4H off the tee, it went about 150-170 and left me 246 to an elevated green with some water on the left. I hit it out of the fairway to the front fringe of the green. My brother in law was pretty impressed. And it felt effortless. If I can consistently hit this that well off the fairway this will make some more or 5's reachable in 2 for me.

Had probably the my best shot of the round today with this club. I had topped a 4H off the tee, it went about 150-170 and left me 246 to an elevated green with some water on the left. I hit it out of the fairway to the front fringe of the green. My brother in law was pretty impressed. And it felt effortless. If I can consistently hit this that well off the fairway this will make some more or 5's reachable in 2 for me.

This is exactly what I've been seeing. I was out with Icey on Sunday and had about 235 up hill into a par 5, and smoked my 5 wood to the front of the green. These clubs work so well, and give me a ton of confidence. I didn't used to have a club in my bag that went that far, and I've got the 3 wood that goes even farther.

Heaven wood was ridiculous today. I mean ridiculous. I hit this thing so well I might get rid of my 3 wood

Im looking to replace my 3h with either the GBB HW or possibly the GBB 5w..... Has anyone had experience hitting both back to back.. Ive only hit the heavenwood briefly but it felt great...

Really thinking its time to upgrade to the GBB heavenwood.. Has anyone had any experience with it paired with the Accra shaft? I adore my VSeries, but I want to lower the flight a touch cause it's officially kicking my 3 wood out of the bag.

It's been a couple of days but I did get the GBB 3W out on the course the other day, it's a fantastic fairway wood. I didn't have a chance to hit it a lot so I can't tell you a whole lot about forgiveness all across the face, I did catch a couple in toward the heel and they weren't too much shorter, started out straight and became a fade of maybe 10-15 yards. Kept it in a playable position. It was plenty long too and played well off the turf, I hit about 5 balls with it off the turf on the driving range and it was pretty easy to pick them clean.

Now I just have to pick up a Heavenwood to round out the top of the bag, this is a great lineup of metalwoods that seems like they work for a wide range of golfers.

Im looking to replace my 3h with either the GBB HW or possibly the GBB 5w..... Has anyone had experience hitting both back to back.. Ive only hit the heavenwood briefly but it felt great...
In my grandaddy fitting I went in expecting to get fit for the HW, but just couldn't get a groove with it and ended up with the 5W. Both are great choices, but for me the shorter shaft of the 5w yielded better results.

So i tried out a few woods today.... I took my X2h 4h and my XR 3w to get an idea of the gap needing to be filled. The 4h carried around 185y and 195 total. The 3w went around 215 total. The only heavenwood available to try had a senior flex shaft in it so it wasnt ideal but still went around 200 total.
So then i grabbed the GBB 5w... My first few swings i didnt find the middle of the face and it flew 190ish and rolled out to around 205... Then i found a bit of a groove and was consistently hitting 195y carry and 215 rollout... After getting a feel for my distances, the guy in the shop said that if i nutted my XR 3w i may get it out to 220y total.. I couldnt believe that i was only 5 yards off that and not hitting the middle every time. I was blocking it slightly so we put it in the draw setting..... OMG..... I started hitting little baby draws... Then 3 of the next 4 i hit were amazing... Carrying 205 ish and rolling out to around 225.... So i simply traded in my XR 3w and my X2h 3h and paid $150aud to get the 5w... I cant believe i was hitting the 5w better and further than my 3w.... Sooo much easier to hit and super forgiving too.... After hitting balls for quite a while and getting tired i was still getting around 200-205 total and hitting it all over the face.. For the moment i will learn to choke down or 3/4 swing for the old 3h distance... My first hit on course will be tomorrow so i will report back after then.... To give people an idea i was swinging an average of 90mph with the stock KK shaft in reg.

I had my first round with my new 5w today.... 1st hole was a par 5 downwind which i hit a decent drive straight down the middle. I had a great lie and my laser rangefinder said 250m (275y) so i thought id have a go and hopefully have a 20-30m chip for my 3rd... Well i nutted it and managed to put it pin high and had a 12ft eagle putt for only the 3rd time ever... I calmly missed that and had a tap in bird..
I hit it a few other times and off a couple of tees. Nothing as good as my first swing but better than my old 3w... I misshit one off a tee and it still went 220y and down the middle.. I just need to find my groove with it and it will be even better than today.
i have a 3 clubs and a putter event on new years day so it will get a good workout then... Im so happy i traded my 3w in for this...

In my grandaddy fitting I went in expecting to get fit for the HW, but just couldn't get a groove with it and ended up with the 5W. Both are great choices, but for me the shorter shaft of the 5w yielded better results.

I've had a chance to hit both in the store extensively and had the same results. At stock lofts the 5w is about 15-20 yds longer and easier to hit more consistently. If I cranked the 5w loft to +2* the results were eerily similar to the HW. And with a shorter shaft length too.

Goes to show how we are all different. For me the HW encroaches on my 3w in a large way in total carry. Luckily, at #TheGrandaddy we talked it over and the 816 3w remedied that for me stretching the gap more.

Still remember the look on Nicks face when I told him I played a HW, it was a lot of surprise, got better though when I told him I went really heavy and x in it to bring it down a bit... Then he fit me into the same setup.

Love these fairways.

Goes to show how we are all different. For me the HW encroaches on my 3w in a large way in total carry. Luckily, at #TheGrandaddy we talked it over and the 816 3w remedied that for me stretching the gap more.

Still remember the look on Nicks face when I told him I played a HW, it was a lot of surprise, got better though when I told him I went really heavy and x in it to bring it down a bit... Then he fit me into the same setup.

Love these fairways.

Not the GBB (until next week or so) but I've found the same with the Heavenwood. It's close to a 4W for me, with stopping power on the green.

Looking to add the GBB for next year.

Jman,

Just curious if you're still playing the set up in your signature.
I'll be playing this setup as my gamer set all year at the very least. I was completely fit for it at #TheGrandaddy, truly the ultimate amateur golf event.

New Callaways now in my bag--14º mini, 18º XR Pro, 22º Heavenwood --finally replacing 13, 17, 20, 23º Titleist PT set from early 1990s.

New sticks are a little more forgiving but the PTs were great clubs for a very long time. They're in my "guest bag" now.

Back