Callaway Great Big Bertha Fairway Wood Preview Thead

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The new Great Big Bertha FW Wood is coming out and this thread will serve as a preview thread with the details of the club as well as early feedback while it goes through THP Testing.

Features & Benefits
High Ball Speeds From Cup Face Technology
We’re serious about giving you the most distance in a fairway wood, and we put in our Forged Hyper Speed Face Cup to show that we mean business. It’s designed for high speeds that make the ball go a long way on center hits and off-center hits.

Ultimate Playability and Control
The head is larger than our typical fairway wood, and that extra surface area leads to a higher MOI for more forgiveness. We also added our legendary Warbird Soleplate which makes the club easy to hit from a variety of lies with a mid-launching trajectory.

Special Heavenwood and Divine Nine Options
These two clubs have a unique combination and tighter dispersion than you might get from your regular club configuration. The Heavenwood (20.5* loft, 43” shaft) and Divine Nine (24*, 42” shaft) could give you the perfect gapping for your bag.

OptiFit Adjustability
Tune the fairway wood to the settings you want to play with our 8-way adjustability. You can add loft, take loft off or adjust the lie angle to fit your swing.*

* OptiFit Adjustability not available in 7W and Divine 9.

Price - $249
Available - 8/28/15

great-big-bertha-fwy-sole-b-2015-004-L.jpg

Welcome back Divine Nine!

Why no adjustability in 7w aND Divine 9?

Why no adjustability in 7w aND Divine 9?

It may be a weighting issue. I remember Callaway initially didn't have adjustable hybrids because of the weight.

Heavenwood is a big pleaser for many people. Devine 9 could be next.

• Admin
Early testing is showing the 3 wood is a bomber. I get a higher flight (preferred) than I did out of the previous fairway wood in my bag (815) with the same distance, which is a great thing for me.

JB - How does the size of the GBB compare to the 815? It's described as larger than an ordinary FW, but it's not like the mini-driver FWs that were being released a few years ago (before companies started making mini drivers), correct?

• Admin
JB - How does the size of the GBB compare to the 815? It's described as larger than an ordinary FW, but it's not like the mini-driver FWs that were being released a few years ago (before companies started making mini drivers), correct?

Here it is next to a Cleveland 3 wood. Marginally larger (it's the one in plastic) and the same for the comparison to 815. I shot this a few days ago because I was curious of the same thing.

It's got a really good footprint at setup.

785d044d8413e47751ed2d6545e21756.jpg

Sharp looking club. It says it has the warbird sole plate, but I thought that would look like the previous V-series?

I am still liking everything I am reading about the new BB line. Looking forward to seeing more.

Sharp looking club. It says it has the warbird sole plate, but I thought that would look like the previous V-series?

Think of it as a more modern version. Less protrusion from the sole into a V like the previous driver.

Ok, thanks

Callaway does a really nice job with their fairway woods. I'm in love with the 815. mainly because of the highish flight.

Heavenwood and Divine 9, want to hit those. And the rest for that matter.

You had me at Heavenwood & hooked me with Dvine 9.... Holy smokes

Surely it can't be better than the 815 fairways, It would be cheating if it actually is. I've got a feeling Callaway will be getting more of my money in the near future. Can't wait to hit all these new clubs. Hopefully a demo day somewhere locally.

Surely it can't be better than the 815 fairways, It would be cheating if it actually is. I've got a feeling Callaway will be getting more of my money in the near future. Can't wait to hit all these new clubs. Hopefully a demo day somewhere locally.

It is for me. I launch it higher and hit it the same distance as the 815.

Is there a 4-wood option, or will the user just loft up a 3 wood or loft down a 5 wood?

Is there a 4-wood option, or will the user just loft up a 3 wood or loft down a 5 wood?

3W is 14 to 17
5W is 17 to 20
7W is 21
Divine 9 is 24
Heavenwood is 19 to 22

I'm all over another version of the Heavenwood and could finally go back to a 3w from what I'm reading here.

Oh my... Heavenwood.

I'm so happy right now.

Wait, the Heavenwood is adjustable this time? I saw that the Divine 9 wasn't and think I assumed the same for the HW. Time to preorder...

Heavenwood, Divine 9? I bet that's awesome

You might want to wait on the divine 9 - FL doesn't need any more rain than it has now. I'm skeptical as to whether I'd put the Divine 9 in the bag, but I really want to hit it. Because I don't think I ever thought I'd keep a 21 degree fairway in the bag either.

Back