The Scratch Golfer Awakens

Lol. Master Yoda I'm stuck at 20. Lol

But maybe there's a way.

Seek and ye shall find

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Don't you have an instructor? Is he not putting you on a plan? Where are you losing strokes?

In a recent thread you said you have been working with a pro for a while.
You went to blades and you were hitting 60-70% of fairways.
You said you really struggled with your short game.

If all of those are accurate (based on your posts), then it seems pretty clear you need to work on your short game because the rest of the stuff was already single digit golfer. So it appears pretty easy. Work on the short game, keep the blades and you should be single digit in like 10 weeks.

Don't you have an instructor? Is he not putting you on a plan? Where are you losing strokes?
Chipping and putting mainly. But my instructor found my swing should a mess we have been working on a major swing change for several months. So my handicap went up before it has finally started to go back down again.

Swing changes are... well hell on earth. Look what it has done to Tiger. An extremely talented golfer.

Chipping and putting mainly. But my instructor found my swing should a mess we have been working on a major swing change for several months. So my handicap went up before it has finally started to go back down again.

Swing changes are... well hell on earth. Look what it has done to Tiger. An extremely talented golfer.

I would suggest setting a plan up for improvement with him... He is more qualified than anyone here since he works with you on a frequent basis

Id say it's impossible and just becoming scratch in general is freaking hard. You better have a sh!t ton of time to dedicate to golf. You're a 20 cap and the road to scratch will be a looooooong one lol not being rude but it's the harsh truth

Okay let's just say below 10.0 handicap. And let's agree to work with a teaching Pro. Likewise let's agree that it may be a 24-48 month time period.

So what would a 10 week cycle look like to start the journey.

I think, if you're going to be working with a pro, this is a question that you should ask him or her. They're the ones that are going to be telling you what to work on, and any suggestions here might be in conflict with that.

In a recent thread you said you have been working with a pro for a while.
You went to blades and you were hitting 60-70% of fairways.
You said you really struggled with your short game.

If all of those are accurate (based on your posts), then it seems pretty clear you need to work on your short game because the rest of the stuff was already single digit golfer. So it appears pretty easy. Work on the short game, keep the blades and you should be single digit in like 10 weeks.
Understood. But how best to create a schedule for short game improvement.

Putting ten weeks. Chip and putt.

Where to start.

Just opening up to suggestions.

Okay let's just say below 10.0 handicap. And let's agree to work with a teaching Pro. Likewise let's agree that it may be a 24-48 month time period.

I have followed along in the other thread and believe you to be a superior ball striker. With that in mind, I think it is extremely possible for you to go from 20 to 10 in 10 weeks. Most people can't get the ball in the fairway. You have a massive leg up. Massive.

The 10 week plan should be all about short game. I honestly am not sure if anyone can be taught to be a great putter - I have a hunch that some people are just born with it. But I definitely believe anyone can be taught to be competent with the flat stick. Plus - and again you have a big advantage here - if you can make a solid and repeatable full swing I just can't believe that short game excellence is beyond your reach. The techniques are relatively simple. Learn them and practice them. And obviously this has the double effect of making you a better putter by giving you shorter putts.

Understood. But how best to create a schedule for short game improvement.

Putting ten weeks. Chip and putt.

Where to start.

Just opening up to suggestions.

go to the chipping green/practice area... chip & putt for an hour everyday

Short game. Short game. Short game. I find that the best players I have ever played with all have the same ability and it cannot be taught. They can feel distance. They can walk up to a 12 yard chip and visualize the landing area and make it happen. The best players are the ones that just sense shots in the short game. I can't do that.

If you can, then you have a chance. If you can't, well, godspeed.

Short game, short game, short game, and then when you're sick of practicing your short game, you should practice your short game. If you know you can get up and down from anywhere - or two putt from anywhere - it makes hitting approach shots so much easier. This, I would think, would drop your hdcp the quickest.

But as many have already said, the difference between a 10 hdcp and 5 hdcp, and then 5 hdcp to scratch is massive.

Lol. Master Yoda I'm stuck at 20. Lol

But maybe there's a way.

Seek and ye shall find

To play scratch is a power only few have achieved, but if we work together, i know we can discover its secret

I think, if you're going to be working with a pro, this is a question that you should ask him or her. They're the ones that are going to be telling you what to work on, and any suggestions here might be in conflict with that.
I'm an information geek and have gained a lot of knowledge from the THP community. So again I humbly wonder out loud.

Maybe some has a great idea or plan to share.

It's not possible if you cannot recognize the weakness in your own game you day short game. Well what is that 130-110 shots? 100 yards and in? Chipping? Putting?

Good luck with what you are trying to do dropping to a 10 sure but you need to realize how difficult it is to be and stay in single digits

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I think the best thing you could do once you find an instructor is to develop that 10 week plan with him or her and stick to it, the only one that can assess your progress is the teacher and he or she is the only one you should really rely on for guidance in reaching those goals. They will assess your gear, your swing, your mental capactity, your talent, and only you can assess your drive for success.

Scratch golf is an elephant and you can only eat it one bite at a time, never get discouraged at the lack of progress either because if you're honestly working hard success can be found in the next couple hundred buckets of balls.

If I were starting today (which I am), and wanted to be scratch in 10 weeks - no chance. At all.
I would say 2 years, practice every day, play at least 2X per week, playing it down, so no gimmies, no rolling, as it lies with all penalties - maybe.

Short game - this is where I would put 75% of my practice. Putting included. I will call this any shot inside 125 yds.
Driver - 10-15% of my practice.
Short and mid irons - 7-10 % of my practice.
Long irons/hybrids - 3% of my practice.

Have fun, and good luck!

It's really simple. Work on where you are losing strokes. Chip, short game, putt as often as you can

Id say it's impossible and just becoming scratch in general is freaking hard. You better have a sh!t ton of time to dedicate to golf. You're a 20 cap and the road to scratch will be a looooooong one lol not being rude but it's the harsh truth
No worries my brother. Honesty may be the best answer.

Do waste your time. It's too late to climb mount Everest.

But Hogan got me wondering about the possibilities.

Nothing lost by asking

This sounds like a big joke

go to the chipping green/practice area... chip & putt for an hour everyday
That sounds all most to good to be true.

I have been practicing about 3 hours a day. Full Swing only. So one hour to putting and chipping should not be out of the question.

To play scratch is a power only few have achieved, but if we work together, i know we can discover its secret
Use the FORCE Eagle

I have been practicing about 3 hours a day. Full Swing only. So one hour to putting and chipping should not be out of the question.

you need to break up that 3 hours

I'm an information geek and have gained a lot of knowledge from the THP community. So again I humbly wonder out loud.

Maybe some has a great idea or plan to share.

I agree that this is a topic best saved for your pro. I went from 17.6 to 10.4 in a season. I had a putting lesson. G O L D. I already knew short game technique but lesson(s) corrected slippage. I spent a lot of time practicing. I made stuff up to create ways to practice - who knows if it was a good way or not? (this is why I say talk to your pro). One thing I did was take a shag bag out to an open area and drop balls all over the place, then play them as they lie to a bucket. Repeat hitting different types of shots. Another one I liked to do was take a single ball, throw it somewhere in the fringe or first cut around the practice green and work my way around every hole. At first my goal was to never take more than 3 shots to get up and down. Then my goal was to get up and down. There were assorted putting drills. But again, see how it was somewhat haphazard? A pro will get you going with a more meaningful plan.

I think the best thing you could do once you find an instructor is to develop that 10 week plan with him or her and stick to it, the only one that can assess your progress is the teacher and he or she is the only one you should really rely on for guidance in reaching those goals. They will assess your gear, your swing, your mental capactity, your talent, and only you can assess your drive for success.

Scratch golf is an elephant and you can only eat it one bite at a time, never get discouraged at the lack of progress either because if you're honestly working hard success can be found in the next couple hundred buckets of balls.
Nice advice about the elephant. Baby steps to success

If I were you I'd flip that. 3 hours chipping and putting and 1 hour on your full swing.

Back