Swapping out putters does it help you?

Michigan Slice

This Guy Cant dance...
Reaction score
Handicap
Sometimes I swap out putters, the reason is I may be struggling with my gamer, I may want a new look/setup, or I might just want to roll something different.

Usually there is a honeymoon period of sorts and I seem to sink a few more putts.
I attribute this to having a new look, forcing me to concentrate a touch more, and a focus on the stroke.

Does switching out a putter help at least in the short term for you?
If so, how long does that "honeymoon" period last?

For me it's 100% random. Sometimes a new putter just changes everything for the better and propels a 2-4 week hot streak on the greens. Other times the new putter just messes with me and causes me to putt worse than I ever have.

The weird thing is in both cases I don't think it's the actual putter that's causing the performance changes, more my own mental ineptitude.

I think it is a short term gain, long term loss situation. A fresh start so to speak can be good but I would really like to find one putter and stick with it. It is tough when you like new shiny things however.

Don't think it either really hurts or helps. For me, it is just rolling a different flatstick. Confidence is the main thing that will help sink more putts IMO. If switching putters gives that extra boost in confidence, then it is a good thing.

I really try not to switch putters too much during the playing season. I feel putting is so much about feel so I don't want to change things to much.
However, another important part of putting is confidence and I can totally understand that when people say that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes I'll throw another putter in the bag, just to let the gamer know, it better straighten up. Lol. I've played the same bettinardi, off and on for the last 3 seasons, and it always ends up back in the bag. So no changing putters doesn't help me.

It helps me in the fall and winter ( if we get to play). Our greens are much slower that time of year and I find a heavier putter works much better but in the spring I will go back to my normal gamer as I love the look!!

I keep a few putters in the rotation or I did. And it helped when I swapped out for a tour of two. 2016 will not be that case. I will of swap out my #1Wide

It has and hasn't helped. Working on my stroke and practice has helped more. Sometimes I like a change in what I am looking at so I will put in a different one.

I really enjoy experimenting, but if I get on a roll with a putter it usually sticks.

Should be interesting to see how long that takes to apply in 2016, now that I've got a few new options available.

I haven't found that it helps or hurts much at all as long as the lie angle is right and it fits my eye

I usually keep the same putter most of the time. If I do swap it to try a new one it doesn't have a huge impact. I have a few that I'll swap in on occasion.

No, my gamer is my gamer I try other ones but the feel cannot be replicated

I think it can help you to reset and make putting fun again if you are struggling. Gains might be short term and the switch can also throw on a 'light switch' to why the previous putter wasn't working.

I seem to rotate through three putters, all a little different in both style and balance. It may help for a round or two and I am trying to convince myself to stick with just one putter as I truly believe it would be better, at least for me, in the long run. Since I play 95% of my rounds on the same course it is not like I need different putters for different green conditions.

In the past I would swap out a blade putter for a mallet, vice-versa, when one wasn't working. I now have only one putter since I sold or traded in all of my others. Sticking with one putter for the past 6 months seems to be working, as I'm rolling the ball a lot better, and distance control is more accurate.

No honeymoon period for me, I switch because its fun, putt pretty much the same with everything I put into the bag....but much of that comes back to maintaining the same technique every stroke.

Since golf is truly a balance of skill and mental toughness, for a lot of people a new putter helps out there putting woes. Personally I have changed putters almost every year, but this past season have found one that works and am sticking with it. Even though I snagged a Odyssey towards the end of the year I am not ditching my Cameron.

usually no, but if im in a real funk, yes it will help

Ever since putting the m2c in the bag I haven't had much of an urge to swap out. I didn't take out an old Titleist for a round....results were not stellar. I believe what Jman said is correct though, if your technique remains the same, it shouldn't have that big of an effect on your game.

I like to be fair to all the putters I own lol. The rotation is fun but if I'm rolling a particular one really well I won't change until the hot streak ends

I think it is a short term gain, long term loss situation. A fresh start so to speak can be good but I would really like to find one putter and stick with it. It is tough when you like new shiny things however.
This is me.

I just made the permanent switch from a soft face Odyssey white hot to an old metal face Cleveland putter I have. This was because I switched golf balls and felt like the ball/putter combo was way too spongy and I had issues with distance control. I really liked what I was getting out of the Bridgestone e6's so I stayed with them and swapped putters. It did the trick and brought my putts per round back down.

Yes. Sometimes the switch helps to get you excited about playing or just helps to give you a new look on the course while your old putter gets a talking to in the corner. As for whether it hurts you or not, I see it as golf is short term; you're only as good as your last round since anything can happen on a given day. If long term success is what you're looking for then golf isn't for you since some days you just don't play your best. You have to forget the bad and play with the good in your mind in order to not give up.

I don't know if it helps or hurts a majority of the time, sometimes it's trying something new, sometimes it's to help jolt me out of a slump, but lately it's been primarily with the same set of putters and usually a new one thrown in that, typically, get's thrown back out!

Back