Nike signs Brooks Koepka and Tony Finau

Agree.. is this a case of them self admitting their stuff isnt as good but if we but we put it in the right hands then the preception changes? Chicks still dig the long ball???

I dont think so. I have never been one to doubt any of their recent offerings. While I think there are higher quality on the market, the Nike stuff is fine and works well for many golfers. To me its marketing equipment the same way you market shoes and it does not work for the golfer.

I like the moves for Nike. Some solid young talent.
I think it really helps them have youth to add to their existing stable of golfers.

It's going to be interesting to watch how Nike markets the new additions. I think the average person doesn't really associate Nike with golf even though they have the two biggest names in Tiger and Rory. If you ask people what they think of Nike, they'll say sneakers and running clothes...I doubt anyone will mention golf.

When I think golf, I think of brands like Titleist, Callaway, Srixon and Taylormade. I think Nike is trying to grab as much market share they can by signing younger players. Guess we will wait and see.

I dont think so. I have never been one to doubt any of their recent offerings. While I think there are higher quality on the market, the Nike stuff is fine and works well for many golfers. To me its marketing equipment the same way you market shoes and it does not work for the golfer.

While I am a Nike fan and think they did some really good things with the drivers and Pro Combos last year in particular, I fully agree with the bolded. Their website is totally indicative of it, too. The golf page has clubs in tiny images a little ways down the page, with the new Lunar Control shoe taking up the entire top half of the page and the other biggest graphic being devoted to clothing. It makes the clubs seem like a sidebar or an afterthought, which is a shame.

Has any single player really driven sales, for any company?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Weird question, but how long ago would they have shot these photos?

Brooks I definitely get, Tony is an interesting pick up. Good luck to Nike on these additions. And good luck to Brooks Koepka. I though he played fine with his previous clubs, hopefully this gets him over that American hump and get can chalk up a few wins this year.

~Rock

Has any single player really driven sales, for any company?

Without a doubt.
Phil with Callaway comes to mind.
ZJ with SeeMore
DJ with TaylorMade
Rickie with Cobra

There are a number of players that do.

JB.... Do you know if this would do anything with Finau's relationship with Sklz? I could see Nike wanting him to step away and felt he was good for the Sklz brand with all of the training stuff you all had uncovered

Without a doubt.
Phil with Callaway comes to mind.
ZJ with SeeMore
DJ with TaylorMade
Rickie with Cobra

There are a number of players that do.

Did not expect DJ to have that much impact on sales for Taylormade.

two of the longest hitters on Tour. Wonder if they go thru the same "setback" as Rory did when he switched from Titleist to Nike?

I think they're good pick ups. I just think Nike will always have a stigma about them when it comes to equipment IMO.

JB.... Do you know if this would do anything with Finau's relationship with Sklz? I could see Nike wanting him to step away and felt he was good for the Sklz brand with all of the training stuff you all had uncovered

He is still under contract with SKLZ.

Did not expect DJ to have that much impact on sales for Taylormade.

I was thinking the same thing with Phil. I know he's been the face for a while, but would put their products and CS as a bigger reason for sales increases.

I was thinking the same thing with Phil. I know he's been the face for a while, but would put their products and CS as a bigger reason for sales increases.

How many golfers on tour do you know mention their clubs like a Nascar driver after a win.
Phil has done it multiple times and the last time, it led to HUGE sales the following months.

How many golfers on tour do you know mention their clubs like a Nascar driver after a win.
Phil has done it multiple times and the last time, it led to HUGE sales the following months.

Not discounting his impact at all, just saying I was looking at sales from a different perspective is all.

He is great brand ambassador and that turns into revenue for sure, I was just thinking from a bigger impact to revenue I would guess product development & CS would've been higher.

Think that is a good move.

Good pickup by Nike picking up a couple of young players. Not surprised by Koepka moving as it seems to be the trend with Titleist, but didn't realize Finau was on the move.

Nice signing by Nike and both guys have some game that will get them some good success on tour each year.

I don't see either as a needle mover for Nike. It will be interesting to see how they market them. They already had Charl Schwartzel, Paul Casey and Nick Watney along with Tiger and Rory and they didn't really use them much in marketing.

I know Phil does it, and I'm always wondering when other golfers will pick up on that and encourage it. I imagine it might be tough when you're not on a 14-club deal, but I'm still a little surprised I don't see it more often from guys like Rickie or Rory who currently have very strong ties to a specific brand.

I am with you, Callaway really fit his game. I hope he made the right choice. Brooks needed to be in the money but I wonder about the learning curve for both.
Finau seems to be a great up and comer, bad loss for Callaway IMO.

Nike signs Brooks Koepka and Tony Finau

I'm not a fan of seeing Finau move away from Callaway. His personality seemed to work really well with them. I don't see that meshing with Nike as well.

Lets not forget that Jabari Parker is a prominent Nike athlete.

I'm just wondering if Phil left Callaway, if their market share would see a decrease in the immediately following quarters.

Back