Making A Murderer (Spoilers)

I went through and read the transcript of the confession by Dassey today. I'd urge everyone's to do the same.

That said, the whole EDTA testing was bogus as hell.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Why?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I went through and read the transcript of the confession by Dassey today. I'd urge everyone's to do the same.

Steven Avery has an iq of 70 iirc from some of the interviews with his original pd in the rape case. If he did everything dassey claimed, how was he able to so perfectly remove any of her dna from any of those incident sites, yet so stupid as to leave behind a key in his bedroom, a fired round with her dna in the garage, leave her freaking car in the junkyard instead of crushing it, and not bother to clean any of his dna from the car?

My new theory is this. Someone Steven knows, maybe dassey or another of his kin, did this somewhere on property, cleaned it up and burned her body, then asked Steven to help cover up the rest.

Watched this one and I'm numb. I'm not entirely confident that he didn't do it, but I don't think it went down they way they coerced the boy to confessing about it. I'm not even sure the boy was even present other than the bonfire.

The other thing is the law enforcement had seizure of the property for 8-9 days??? Wtf! That's seems crazy excessive and an abuse of power and plenty of time to plant any evidence. He ran a salvage yard, he could have destroyed that car easily and didn't?? I think at minimum enough doubt exists to not convict.

Just a sad situation and what appears to be a complete abuse of power by local Sheriffs out of fear the original civil lawsuit was going to expose the corruption. When the sherif says on tv that it would be easier to kill him if they wanted. That's pretty telling to me.

The cops who look very guilty from this first case being the ones to find the Rav4 key is very disturbing.

The cops who look very guilty from this first case being the ones to find the Rav4 key is very disturbing.
You read my mind. Why were manotuc deputies in the house at all

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Been looking to start watching this, is it a decent watch?

Been looking to start watching this, is it a decent watch?
it is a good watch. If you like dateline or 48 hours type shows that involve a mystery, then you will like this one. I watched 3-4 episodes a day even with a busy schedule.

Why?

Because it is a test designed to be very accurate in terms of eliminating 'false positives' meaning if you get a positive hit on the test it is very accurate that there was EDTA in the sample. The problem is when you get a negative test result. This side of the test is not very accurate as there is a fairly good chance at 'false negatives' (meaning that the sample COULD have had EDTA in it, but not necessarily.)

In short the test is very accurate if you get a positive hit, but not very accurate if you get a negative... similar to a strep test.

So basically getting a negative is inconclusive unless you have a more precise and accurate follow up test, or you repeat said test multiple/multiple times to make the results statistically significant.

They didn't have a more specific test, and they only ran the sample 3 times... shady and bogus they way the professional from the FBI declared it as absolute

Every show ends with another piece of info that makes you keep watching. Such a crazy chain of events and so much reasonable doubt.

Every show ends with another piece of info that makes you keep watching. Such a crazy chain of events and so much reasonable doubt.

That's where I'm at. Not saying guilt or innocence, just too much reasonable doubt to convict.

That's where I'm at. Not saying guilt or innocence, just too much reasonable doubt to convict.

Exactly. It has been kinda hard for me to watch. Seeing "the system" treat the learning disabled 16 yr old the way they did and it seems every questionable ruling go in favor of the prosecution really makes you feel like there are more issues in the system than anyone would like to admit.

Just finished up the 8th episode which contains the verdict for S. Avery. I can't even begin to express how discouraging this entire process looks. Even with some independent research into possible alternatives and prosecution evidence left out, I still find it hard to believe that certain key witnesses and certain key evidence just appear so fishy, and the judge does nothing to help that either.

rallo, your insight into the protocol behind blood vials is really helpful. In the show they only show Avery's lawyer stating that "there's no reason that they'd ever puncture the top through ordinary procedure," hearing differently from a professional is a really good thing to know. While the tampered seal is still suspicious, this knocks down what I believed to be a huge cornerstone of the defense.

I'm not one for conspiracy theories as I always believe a weak link will expose it, but this one really has me thrown for a loop.

I can't decide whether I think he did it but if I was on the jury with all the BS that went on I could not vote to convict

Through episode 9 and I am pissed off...
Spoiler
how they can throw out Brandon's confession in the Avery case, yet use it to convict a 16 yr old boy... with NO EVIDENCE, DNA, or anything more than a soft, speculative statement from a 12 yr old girl (who later recanted) is ****ing beyond me. The detectives who got the confession (and knew about the final 1hr 38 min on the tape that didn't air) and the prosecutors privy to the same info are beyond injust.

Last edited:
Let me say again I am a big supporter of LE, want to make sure that is covered, but the fact Det Link was doing the search and Calumet Deputy admitted under oath that he could not see him the total time they were in the trailer screams conflict of interest to me.
I am still not understanding why PA said manitiwoc was only there to help with equipment yet we know Link and colburn were in the trailer is just wrong.
With everything involved in this case why did link and colburn not stay outside like they were instructed?

Let me say again I am a big supporter of LE, want to make sure that is covered, but the fact Det Link was doing the search and Calumet Deputy admitted under oath that he could not see him the total time they were in the trailer screams conflict of interest to me.
I am still not understanding why PA said manitiwoc was only there to help with equipment yet we know Link and colburn were in the trailer is just wrong.
With everything involved in this case why did link and colburn not stay outside like they were instructed?

I'm through four episodes so far. Very compelling documentary.

There have been three really cringe-worthy moments for me so far. Having the Manitiwoc detective find the car key (three days after the initial search, and in plain sight) is one. The interrogation of the nephew is another. Learning that the actual rapist (who was actively ignored by police) sexually assaulted another victim while Avery was in jail is the third.

How many guys in prison are trying to call Netflix now?

This, why hold a press conference to tell (lie to) the public that the search is being done by Calumet county in order to avoid conflict of interest... then have an extremely high level of involvement in the gathering of information (over an 8 ****ing day period).

I spoke with my brother about this (he is a detective in the Omaha area) and he echoed the same sentiment as the detective from Illinois in the documentary. He said you basically need to do 1 VERY meticulous, definitive search of an area (such as the trailer). The more time that is allowed to pass, and the more times an area has to be entered (by law enforcement or others) the more contaminated it potentially become and the less reliable the evidence will be in court. 4 searches over 8 days to find the key and multiple searches over MONTHS to find a DNA laden bullet is excessive, and enough doubt can be placed about the scene being contaminated (by law enforcement or others). This is another reason why they hold an entry and exit log... to prove they have been monitoring said crime scene and avoid unneeded entrance and possible contamination/tampering.

I'm through four episodes so far. Very compelling documentary.

There have been three really cringe-worthy moments for me so far. Having the Manitiwoc detective find the car key (three days after the initial search, and in plain sight) is one. The interrogation of the nephew is another. Learning that the actual rapist (who was actively ignored by police) sexually assaulted another victim while Avery was in jail is the third.
Seth from a pure legal aspect, since the nephew has a domented IQ below 80 (76 I think) would his low IQ have any bearing on the confession and the amount of time they hammered him?

Something that stuck out to me was after he "confessed" he was worried about turning a project in for sixth hour that day

iirc they said they moved that shelf vigorously, took out all the books, pictures, etc.. And found nothing. If that key was there, during that process you would think it would be easy to spot bc it's right next to the bookcase!

iirc they said they moved that shelf vigorously, took out all the books, pictures, etc.. And found nothing. If that key was there, during that process you would think it would be easy to spot bc it's right next to the bookcase!

Exactly, and then Officer Colburn (sp?) and Lenk reenter the trailer after the bookcase (with books and other items replaced) was returned to its original spot . Colburn then claims he vigorously shook said book case and key shot out from behind it... they had already removed it once and the key didn't appear... was said key in a ****ing spring-loaded secret compartment or something?... Oh... and said key that had no other DNA on it... not even Teresa's who had possessed said key for years... WTF?

Seth from a pure legal aspect, since the nephew has a domented IQ below 80 (76 I think) would his low IQ have any bearing on the confession and the amount of time they hammered him?

Something that stuck out to me was after he "confessed" he was worried about turning a project in for sixth hour that day

Likely a different standard that what I deal with. Take that for what it's worth.

For admissions in civil cases, though, you can challenge the competency of the person making the admission.

The documentary does not include all of the arguments raised for the motion to suppress the video admission of the nephew. I was surprised, though, that the judge allowed the admission for two reasons. First, the interrogating officer suggested a lot of the facts to admit (at least by what was shown on the documentary). Second, it seemed clear from the video that the nephew didn't have the mental capacity to understand what he was doing. For example, he asked if he would be able to return to school within an hour of the interview because he had a project due.

With all of that said, the legal standard could be completely different than what I work with.

Back